System does not post after installing new cooler

Hey guys, I am pretty screwed,

I went home last evening, filled with joy and a Dark Rock Pro 3 in my hands, ready to be installed through the night so I could play some games again. I started unplugging my cables, lifting my PC to the desk, and opened it up.

I wanted to install the CPU cooler, close it again and have a nice remaining night. But what I got is sadness and depression, as my PC just won't boot, whatever I tried.

Here some information:

Mainboard: Asus Prime B350-Plus

GPU: GTX 1060 MSI, GTX 1060 Gainwand (tried both)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz 16GB

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

PSU: Corsair CS650M

I had to use a screwdriver and carefully lift up the backplate of the motherboard, as it was glued on it, which actually surprised me. It is possible, that I damaged something during the process, but I actually don't think so, as I was very careful. I press the Startbutton, and the following things happen: My LED Strip, Fan Coolers and CPU Cooler start to spin, but my graphics cards stay still. From there on I get no signal or anything else. It just stays that way. Using my HDD Led at the Speaker Pins won't do anything and I do not own a small speaker for those purposes. I can buy one though!

What should I do next? I was about to try the "Zeromethod" (Don't know if it is called that in English. I am refering to "Nullmethode")

Do you guys have any other ideas?

Thanks.

#Excuse my grammer, I only have 4% left on my phone for the next day and wanted to be quick

1. Try resetting the CMOS

2. What cooler did you had before

3. Did you take the CPU out of the socket during the process and maybe didn't match the corners

4. Try replugging your power cables

5. Try Notting without the gpu from the igpu of your cpu

Maybe you could specify the backplate you removed or even get a picture from it 

:)

Quote=Reply      Feel free to tag me or sth if you have questions about Liquid Metal :) ROCKETS ARE LIFE                                                                      My current build:                                    

CPU: I7 6700k@4.7Ghz 1.31sth V; Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) | Cooler: Corsair H100iv2 | GPU: HIS R9 390 | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz HyperX FuryX | Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 960 Evo 1x random 4TB 7200RPM HDD | Case: Lian Li Alpha  550W | PSU: Corsair RM650i | Misc.: 6x Lian Li 120mm Bora RGB Fans

My Build Log: 

8 minutes ago, thelordofwarr said:

Unless he got one of the AM4 APUs, that's not going to be an option.

OP, is there any chance your screwdriver made an ever so slight scratch on the back of the motherboard? 

13 hours ago, thelordofwarr said:

1. Try resetting the CMOS

2. What cooler did you had before

3. Did you take the CPU out of the socket during the process and maybe didn't match the corners

4. Try replugging your power cables

Maybe you could specify the backplate you removed or even get a picture from it 

Hey, well sorry, I didn't mention which CPU I own. It is a Ryzen 5 1600. 

1. Oh yea, I am definitly about to

2. I had the stock AMD cooler.

3. No I did not. And everything worked fine a week ago.

4. Actually did multiple times. But 6th-times a charm.

5. As I have a Ryzen 5 1600, I do not have integrated graphics and therefor the system can not post without a GPU. At least it is what I have read.

Alright. So the first picture is the backplate I have removed. I then took the "glue-sheet" that hold it in place to seat the new backplate that comes with the Dark Rock Pro 3. The second picture is me having it glued on.

I may have to append: The process seemed very odd and wrong. I do not think I did everything correct. I bent one little notch on the side of the backside of the mainboard, but just a bit, then carefully lifted it back in place. I just can not believe that this would cause something massive as this, because nothing is like "really damaged". But as nobody seems to have the same board paired with the same cooler I do not know if it was just normal.

Hope the CMOS reset does something.

:)

Sorry for the bad quality. My phone's camera driver is really bad right now.

IMG_20180310_144658.jpg

IMG_20180310_144750.jpg

13 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Unless he got one of the AM4 APUs, that's not going to be an option.

OP, is there any chance your screwdriver made an ever so slight scratch on the back of the motherboard? 

That is indeed possible. Is this actually enough to brick the board? If so, how is one supposed to mount the cooler then in the first place?

Edit: Resurrection Remix' camera driver just straight up sucks.. I can not focus on things closer than 30 cm. :/ I try to call a friend to give me a camera, so I can upload images of the damage.

5 minutes ago, Aachener Student said:

That is indeed possible. Is this actually enough to brick the board? If so, how is one supposed to mount the cooler then in the first place?

Well, if you damage any of the traces, it will. However, they tend to be quite sturdy these days, and can typically survive some screwdriver slips here and there (not that I would know from experience, of course :$). Moreover, a random scratch deep enough should just brick it altogether, i think.  Just no GPU seems a bit too specific.

Have you tried with the GPU in a different PCIe slot?

And just in case, another battery of unlikely events:

-any chance the new backplate is upside down (the computer would probably not even start if there was a short, so don't think so)

-any chance you unscrewed the socket as well as the backplate? (the three screws in this picture - or is it just some generic picture that doesn't match the board?)

double check all the power connections to your GPU. I have had several occasions where i thought i had gotten everything plugged back in and that was the problem. Have you tried re-seating the GPU? Also like @SpaceGhostC2C suggested, another PCIe slot might help determine if you just killed a trace of the whole board. 

I am currently uploading 2 videos from my phone and will post links after it is done. Approx. 25 minutes (as I can not convert or shrink videos on my phone).

- Backplate is not upside down as you will see in the video

- The socket is not unscrewable to my beliefs. And no I did not touch those screws. It seems to match the board, though.

Links will be posted here:

Video 1: https://darkn.me/vid1.mp4

Video 2: https://darkn.me/vid2.mp4

I suggest you download them, as it laggs in playback for me at least. If you don't want to download files you don't know (which is understandable), I can also upload them to YouTube. But that would take an hour or so.

12 hours ago, COUPER MILLAR said:

double check all the power connections to your GPU. I have had several occasions where i thought i had gotten everything plugged back in and that was the problem. Have you tried re-seating the GPU? Also like @SpaceGhostC2C suggested, another PCIe slot might help determine if you just killed a trace of the whole board. 

I will try the lower one now.

Thanks!

Should I buy a 4-pin mobo speaker for further troubleshooting? It would arrive tomorrow and could help us figuring it out.

Okay.. I got a 4pin speaker, plugged it in, removed every component except the psu, cpu and cooler, turned the machine on and get no sound whatsoever.

Like non at all. I even tried to plug the cables in in different order, but no sound.

this all suggests a dead mobo, right?

last thing i try is the cmos reset. any other ideas?

Did a CMOS reset. At least I think so. Shortened the two pins for sure.

Nothing. :(

33 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

Can you test with a different PSU?

I could. But why should I? It worked fine just with a different cooler. How does a different PSU make a difference?

Just curious, I might try that.

Okay, so if actually nobody else has an idea what it could be, I might just buy a new motherboard.

Like im freaking tired of not being able to run my PC for 2 weeks now. It is the only time in this freaking year I am able to game, and this happens :/

The best thing to do is actually placing my CPU into a working system, right?

Like if it does not work, my CPU is broken, but if it works, I just need a new motherboard.

Correct?

On 11.3.2018 at 2:56 AM, Aachener Student said:

Okay, so if actually nobody else has an idea what it could be, I might just buy a new motherboard.

Like im freaking tired of not being able to run my PC for 2 weeks now. It is the only time in this freaking year I am able to game, and this happens :/

The best thing to do is actually placing my CPU into a working system, right?

Like if it does not work, my CPU is broken, but if it works, I just need a new motherboard.

Correct?

Bought a new Mobo, payed somebody to remove the backplate and my PC works again.

Now I got a hole in my wallet :)