California to introduce The Right to Repair Act forcing companies to allow consumers to repair tech (and non tech) products

AlTech
22 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

7 years seems pretty excessive. And I personally am not the biggest fan of telling companies what they can and cannot do to a certain extent. 

Being able to fix your devices was never the problem, the problem was that third party shops want an easy way to stay in business so the bill got lobbied and spun to make it seem like this was really a consumer protection issue. 

While it technically is a consumer protection issue, it was never going to be illegal to service something you own, because you know, it’s your property. 

Its great that the bill is being introduced and it’s probably a good thing, but just know it wasn’t started by average joes. It was started by people like Louis Rossmann (who is a great guy) wanting to protect their livelyhood from companies that don’t want their parts floating around everywhere. 

I would not put it past these companies to inflate the value of their parts if the bill does pass as to keep shops from abusing it.

Well, I don't have any problem seeing shops all over making money through repairing broken phones. It's good for the local economy, it's good for the environment and I am all for buying second-hand stuff at a good price. 

The folks who are suffering the most from proprietary non-fixable parts are definitely professionals who depend on their tools. In other words: farmers. If this video doesn't make you rage then I suspect that you must be working for Apple, Microsoft or some car dealership. 

Meanwhile I'm here confused as heck as to why this is now a thing in america and my little 2x4 island has had it for years probably decades.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

1 hour ago, XenosTech said:

Meanwhile I'm here confused as heck as to why this is now a thing in america and my little 2x4 island has had it for years probably decades.

The US Federal Government is highly influenced by closed door lobbyist (Activist/Interventionist, Unions and Capitalization-ist).  A recent court ruling declared spending money is a protected freedom of speech. 
http://www.amendmentgazette.com/how-spending-money-became-a-form-of-speech/

The US Federal government when considering representation is not an ideal representative democracy.  To make it closer to ideal, you would have to strip powers from the Feds that conflict with regional interests.  People feel they no longer have a say in how they conduct their lives and do not vote.  One of the reasons is the ballots seemed to be rigged by one of the three groups.  When you vote, if feels like the following: Do you give the gov an additional 10% or shall the gov take an additional 10%?  Service fees, redistribution of wealth and empowerment schemes robe the common person of the ability to live their own life.

1 minute ago, MikeSK said:

The US Federal Government is highly influenced by closed door lobbyist (Activist/Interventionist, Unions and Capitalization-ist).  A recent court ruling declared spending money is a protected freedom of speech. 
http://www.amendmentgazette.com/how-spending-money-became-a-form-of-speech/

The US Federal government when considering representation is not an ideal representative democracy.  To make it closer to ideal, you would have to strip powers from the Feds that conflict with regional interests.  People feel they no longer have a say in how they conduct their lives and do not vote.  One of the reasons is the ballots seemed to be rigged by one of the three groups.  When you vote, if feels like the following: Do you give the gov an additional 10% or shall the gov take an additional 10%?  Service fees, redistribution of wealth and empowerment schemes robe the common person of the ability to live their own life.

Basically as long as my pockets are deep enough I can buy their favour ?

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

5 hours ago, XenosTech said:

Basically as long as my pockets are deep enough I can buy their favour ?

That's my observation. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.