Deciding on a motherboard for Intel 8th gen

Hi all,

Trying to decide on a solid motherboard for my new build, here is the current spec list:

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H115i PRO
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX
Sound Card: Asus - Essence STX II 24-bit 192 KHz

As my chosen case is all glass, I want something that looks cool. I originally picked the ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero but having read about problems, I have decided to look at the Z370 AORUS Gaming 7.

Opinion? What motherboard would you choose?

Also I am looking to try and optimise this build so it is almost silent at low load.

I've used the Maximus X hero and the Maximsu X Code. Both are fantastic, no problems. Great overclockers, solid build quality and great features. Way better than Gigabyte.

I'd also consider the Intel 600P if I were you. For the price of a 500gb 960, you could get a 1TB 600P.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

6 minutes ago, maatty said:

Hi all,

Trying to decide on a solid motherboard for my new build, here is the current spec list:

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H115i PRO
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX
Sound Card: Asus - Essence STX II 24-bit 192 KHz

As my chosen case is all glass, I want something that looks cool. I originally picked the ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero but having read about problems, I have decided to look at the Z370 AORUS Gaming 7.

Opinion? What motherboard would you choose?

attachment.php?attachmentid=99753

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

15 minutes ago, Armakar said:

I've used the Maximus X hero and the Maximsu X Code. Both are fantastic, no problems. Great overclockers, solid build quality and great features. Way better than Gigabyte.

I'd also consider the Intel 600P if I were you. For the price of a 500gb 960, you could get a 1TB 600P.

I have read about issues with audio crackling (which doesn't matter for me as I picked a dedicated sound card) which is a shame on such an expensive motherboard. Also read about issues with VRM on that board. But if my mind can be changed then I'll happily pick it, I have used two ASUS boards previously.

The Intel 8600P is not on the same performance level as the Samsung 960 EVO in read/write. The 960 PRO would be the better option as for extended warranty and extended TBW but I feel that's for more heavy users and the 960 EVO will suffice for me.

1 hour ago, maatty said:

I have read about issues with audio crackling (which doesn't matter for me as I picked a dedicated sound card) which is a shame on such an expensive motherboard. Also read about issues with VRM on that board. But if my mind can be changed then I'll happily pick it, I have used two ASUS boards previously.

Sound issues are most likely always made up due to bad isolation/EMI shielding of a huge bandwidth of components. Havnt heart bad things about the VRMs, i think the VRM heatsink is a little small on the Hero so i can imagine. Ive ordered the ASUS ROG Maximus X Formula, expansive, i know, waste of money, i know especially for a z370 board, but good looks, good cooling and i wont upgrade the next 5years anyways.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

2 hours ago, DarkSmith2 said:

Sound issues are most likely always made up due to bad isolation/EMI shielding of a huge bandwidth of components. Havnt heart bad things about the VRMs, i think the VRM heatsink is a little small on the Hero so i can imagine. Ive ordered the ASUS ROG Maximus X Formula, expansive, i know, waste of money, i know especially for a z370 board, but good looks, good cooling and i wont upgrade the next 5years anyways.

I would choose the Formula but I am already spending a lot of money as I need keyboard & monitor. I picked the ASUS QHD monitor which is like £550 (why have a nice machine but a crap monitor to look at??).

So my build comes to around £2,600. My last PC is 8 years old now so I want to make this investment in something really good.

25 minutes ago, maatty said:

I would choose the Formula but I am already spending a lot of money as I need keyboard & monitor. I picked the ASUS QHD monitor which is like £550 (why have a nice machine but a crap monitor to look at??).

So my build comes to around £2,600. My last PC is 8 years old now so I want to make this investment in something really good.

what about the Rog Maximus X Code then? if this is still to much, i would f*** it an go with Asrock Taichi if not the Hero tbh.

2 hours ago, DarkSmith2 said:

what about the Rog Maximus X Code then? if this is still to much, i would f*** it an go with Asrock Taichi if not the Hero tbh.

Yep, I think this is the one I will go for. I wasn't sure before due to the problems people have posted online with audio etc. I've used ASUS twice before and had no issues myself.

You've reassured me to stick with ASUS! Any problems I'll come back and it's all on you! Only kidding. Thanks xD

20 minutes ago, maatty said:

You've reassured me to stick with ASUS! Any problems I'll come back and it's all on you! Only kidding. Thanks xD

:D

For the price, the taichi is unbeatable. Great features and really good overclockers.

Besides the VRMs, the bios plays a big role which is something Gigabyte doesn't excel.