Worth going from R1600 to 8700k?

Current setup: 

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8 

GTX 1080 ti

8gb DDR 2666mhz

3440x1440@100hz 

Currently looking at going over to intel and their 8700k but I am not sure if I will see any improvements at that resolution. Did anyone go from ryzen to intel and saw any improvements at 1440p? I am playing everything from AAA titles to a lot of RTS/4X. I want this build to last me at least 3+ years.

Not worth it, the R5 1600 is enough for 100Hz if you OC it. Also, do you have 1x 8GB or 2x4GB RAM? If you are only runing single channel, get another stick of RAM, that will help.

yes. 8700k  has much higher clock speed at 4.7ghz. But remember you will also need to buy new mobo+ cooler

11 minutes ago, StellarSpaceApocalypse said:

Current setup: 

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8 

GTX 1080 ti

8gb DDR 2666mhz

3440x1440@100hz 

Currently looking at going over to intel and their 8700k but I am not sure if I will see any improvements at that resolution. Did anyone go from ryzen to intel and saw any improvements at 1440p? I am playing everything from AAA titles to a lot of RTS/4X. I want this build to last me at least 3+ years.

It's really difficult to say whether you should upgrade. Depends what kind of FPS you're looking at. Remember you need a new motherboard and cooler with that CPU.
If you have the money and are looking at high refreshrate gaming @1440p then yes, to the upgrade.
If 60fps is fine for you then don't bother upgrading.

It is probably worth the upgrade if you were at 1080p, but since you are at 1440p, hold on to your R5 until the 8 core coffee lake release or 9th gen intel.

I went from a 4ghz 1700 to a 5.1ghz 8700k at 1440p huge difference for me with sli 980tis

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

22 minutes ago, Ebony Falcon said:

I went from a 4ghz 1700 to a 5.1ghz 8700k at 1440p huge difference for me with sli 980tis

When you are saying huge difference, could you be specific? 

4 hours ago, StellarSpaceApocalypse said:

When you are saying huge difference, could you be specific? 

Erm well games like farcry primal I went from average 60ish fps to 110 

averages are 20/30 fps higher in most games

what I thought was shit sli scaling turned out to be the 1700 holding my cards back 

litterly felt like I had a new gpu 

overwatch went from having dips to 220 to locked 300 fps 

it just hammers the most out of my cards now 

for me I don't play ultra setting I use settings up to the point of diminishing return 

ryzen is fine for ultra it will push ur gpu but  its kind of already at its limits as a gaming cpu 

well for me anyways

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

If money is no object, then sure go for it. Something to keep in mind however is that AM4 will continue to see CPUs released on it until 2020. If I were you, I would just wait until the next generation Intel/AMD CPUs come out. Considering how Intel screwed over anyone who bought Sky lake/Kaby lake with Coffee lake and making them incompatible, they might do it again with the next generation they bring to the table. Thus, limiting your upgradeability on a future platform. That is, unless money is no object for you, and you have no problem buying the best you can get every generation. I would just stick with the R5 1600 so if/when it becomes obsolete, you can just upgrade to a future AM4 CPU with a little more kick without having to go through the hastle of buying a new motherboard and cooler (if your using stock cooler that is). 

38 minutes ago, Aw_Ginger_Snapz said:

If money is no object, then sure go for it. Something to keep in mind however is that AM4 will continue to see CPUs released on it until 2020. If I were you, I would just wait until the next generation Intel/AMD CPUs come out. Considering how Intel screwed over anyone who bought Sky lake/Kaby lake with Coffee lake and making them incompatible, they might do it again with the next generation they bring to the table. Thus, limiting your upgradeability on a future platform. That is, unless money is no object for you, and you have no problem buying the best you can get every generation. I would just stick with the R5 1600 so if/when it becomes obsolete, you can just upgrade to a future AM4 CPU with a little more kick without having to go through the hastle of buying a new motherboard and cooler (if your using stock cooler that is). 

U mean how amd blocked xfr boost 2 on 370x and 350 boards 

and Intel has always done 2 gens per board so it was no shock, what u have to think about it not just the top end board but is a h170 bargain basement board going to be able to handle a 8700k at stock .. probly not, would the maximums ix probly easily but because the lower boards can't they had to up the spec 

and that's evident from the fact that u can only currently but z370 boards and no lower variants 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

8 hours ago, StellarSpaceApocalypse said:

Current setup: 

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8 

GTX 1080 ti

8gb DDR 2666mhz

3440x1440@100hz 

Yeah no keep the 1600, and if you need to upgrade, get next gen ryzen when it releases. Don't bother spending 500 dollars on a new motherboard that will go obsolete next year.

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

11 hours ago, StellarSpaceApocalypse said:

{snip}

I'd say to wait just a bit to see what the 2700x really has to offer. You'd probably have to update the bios on your current MB, but it would be a much more economical update. You'd probably benefit from a 1700x upgrade now, but the timing just wouldn't make sense. (Plus you're current wraith cooler would probably have to be replaced as well, while the 2700x will come with one)

My next build will probably be AMD, though I don't know exactly when the build/upgrade itch will become overpowering. (Going from a 6600 to any recent r/i7 will give me extra threads that I seem to be finally lacking)