i need some help to figure out a new gaming headset with sourround

stianm3
Go to solution Solved by Himommies,

Get a MDR7506 and a AT2020

1 minute ago, pas008 said:

son dont act like you are superior to me, I have spend my life in gaming immersion

sound is more immersive than vision

fyi I use 5 monitors too

i'm all about being immersive

I don't know what this has to do what I asked. But anyway, at the end of the day, one of us is a respected audiophile on the forums who makes many recommendations to many people, and is someone who people trust. And on the other hand, one of us is not.

Just now, Max_Settings said:

I don't know what this has to do what I asked. But anyway, at the end of the day, one of us is a respected audiophile on the forums who makes many recommendations to many people, and is someone who people trust. And on the other hand, one of us is not.

lol respected on headphones yes but not surround or virtual surround

wow the arrogance

Just now, pas008 said:

lol respected on headphones yes but not surround or virtual surround

wow the arrogance

Hmmmm, I don't think you are one to talk about arrogance. I find it funny that you are one of a few who support virtual surround. All the other audiophiles don't, so you are definitely in the minority here.

Just now, Max_Settings said:

Hmmmm, I don't think you are one to talk about arrogance. I find it funny that you are one of a few who support virtual surround. All the other audiophiles don't, so you are definitely in the minority here.

support lol did you read that thread you linked should I start quoting the people that like it?

or should I start linking the other regulars i see here saying virtual surround on some games is nice but otherwise they PREFER nothing?

wow

let the hate flow through you

Just now, pas008 said:

support lol did you read that thread you linked should I start quoting the people that like it?

or should I start linking the other regulars i see here saying virtual surround on some games is nice but otherwise they PREFER nothing?

wow

let the hate flow through you

So you are asking me this, "Should I show you people that don't know anything about audio, like something that I think is good and goes against what people who know about audio say?"

5 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

So you are asking me this, "Should I show you people that don't know anything about audio, like something that I think is good and goes against what people who know about audio say?"

well you are showing me you have no clue about algorithms

all digital media uses algorithms

and you showing me you say receivers can use them to up mix to 7.1 plus and its ok but cant use them to down mix to 2

logic?

Just now, pas008 said:

well you are showing me you have no clue about algorithms

all digital media uses algorithms

and you showing me you say receivers can use them to up mix to 7.1 and its ok but can use them to down mix to 2

logic?

Yes, if something is recorded in true surround, say 7.1, it can be mixed down to 2 channels, and the positional audio stays. But you cannot take something recorded in stereo and mix it up to 7 channels. It's like a photo. You can take a high res photo and compress it down to a lower res, but once it's compressed and saved it can't be upscaled again to the higher res without a considerable loss in quality. You also can't take a lower res photo and stretch it to a higher res without a loss in quality.

8 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Yes, if something is recorded in true surround, say 7.1, it can be mixed down to 2 channels, and the positional audio stays. But you cannot take something recorded in stereo and mix it up to 7 channels. It's like a photo. You can take a high res photo and compress it down to a lower res, but once it's compressed and saved it can't be upscaled again to the higher res without a considerable loss in quality. You also can't take a lower res photo and stretch it to a higher res without a loss in quality.

maybe you should google those algorithms

there is many thing out there for you to learn there son

need links?

how does star wars on vhs work in surround? lol

why does pro logic even exist and which many companies now are around on algorithms

lol I should quote your other post on saying vice versa you are running around in circles now

maybe you should google those algorithms

there is many thing out there for you to learn there son

need links?

how does star wars on vhs work in surround? lol

why does pro logic even exist and which many companies now are around on algorithms

lol I should quote your other post on saying vice versa you are running around in circles now

I don’t know why you keep going off topic. We are talking about headphones and games. I don’t care about movies and speaker setups right now. That is irrelevant to the point of this post.

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

I don’t know why you keep going off topic. We are talking about headphones and games. I don’t care about movies and speaker setups right now. That is irrelevant to the point of this post.

lol its the same difference do you not understand how algorithms work

its the reason sb bought thx and razer for their algorithms along with other shit

digital is algorithms do you not get it

your media codecs are algorithms plain and simple

Just now, pas008 said:

lol its the same difference do you not understand how algorithms work

its the reason sb bought thx and razer for their algorithms along with other shit

digital is algorithms do you not get it

your media codecs are algorithms plain and simple

I understand fully how algorithms work. It’s a different story if we are talking about doing conversions when you have a real 7.1 setup. The entire point of this argument which is what you can’t grasp for some reason, is this. If you take a game with stereo audio, and then take some kind of software and convert that stereo sound to virtual 7.1, and then play it through a stereo set of headphones with 2 drivers (and those multi driver headphones are BS don’t bring those up), that the sound quality worsens and positional Audio is worse. I don’t even think you watched the video you linked. If you are standing someone facing something making a sound, and you simply turn around without actually moving in any direction, the sound doesn’t just get massively quiter like those algorithms do. They are a terrible representation of positional audio.

3 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

I understand fully how algorithms work. It’s a different story if we are talking about doing conversions when you have a real 7.1 setup. The entire point of this argument which is what you can’t grasp for some reason, is this. If you take a game with stereo audio, and then take some kind of software and convert that stereo sound to virtual 7.1, and then play it through a stereo set of headphones with 2 drivers (and those multi driver headphones are BS don’t bring those up), that the sound quality worsens and positional Audio is worse. I don’t even think you watched the video you linked. If you are standing someone facing something making a sound, and you simply turn around without actually moving in any direction, the sound doesn’t just get massively quiter like those algorithms do. They are a terrible representation of positional audio.

Ok now back pedaling that fine you are showing you gene no clue on surround or virual surround which more and more companies are popping up because they are patenting  the shit

Lol

Oh dolby still around dts too

Ok now back pedaling that fine you are showing you gene no clue on surround or virual surround which more and more companies are popping up because they are patenting  the shit

Lol

Oh dolby still around dts too

They exist for actual surround systems....

3 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

They exist for actual surround systems....

Oh like i said they can do actual but can't have algorithm to down sample which is easier keep back tracking

Keep up

Oh like i said they can do actual but can't have algorithm to down sample which is easier keep back tracking

Keep up

Yes, I said you can take surround and down scale to 2 channels.

4 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Yes, I said you can take surround and down scale to 2 channels.

Exactly and you can use algorithm to upscale like tvs?

Point proven

Listen ok, here’s the deal. Surround played on stereo, sounds fine. Stereo source converted to surround played on true surround is pretty good for the most part, not as good as if it was recorded in surround, but not awful. Stereo source converted to surround played on stereo, that sounds terrible, that’s when the problem arises.

2 minutes ago, pas008 said:

Exactly and you can use algorithm to upscale like tvs?

Point proven

Are you saying you can’t use an algorithm to convert stereo to surround like you can upscale 1080p to 4K?

2 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Are you saying you can’t use an algorithm to convert stereo to surround like you Can upscale 1080p to 4K?

Exactly might be simulated but great in some cases 

Keep up

Hence virtual

Wow

Just now, pas008 said:

Exactly might be simulated but great in some cases 

Keep up

It’s not horrific if it is actually played on a 7.1 surround system. Not as good as true surround, but if it’s a good enough algorithm it can be acceptable. Like I said though if you take a stereo source, convert it to surround, then play it on stereo that sounds awful. 

10 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

It’s not horrific if it is actually played on a 7.1 surround system. Not as good as true surround, but if it’s a good enough algorithm it can be acceptable. Like I said though if you take a stereo source, convert it to surround, then play it on stereo that sounds awful. 

Have you watched the matrix on atmos wasn't recorded for it but it's algorithm is great it  the front elevated algorithm and made it higher

Helicopter is elevated

Max remeber digital has algorithms

So having one to step in and distribute sound when it fucking sucks is a plus is a godsend

Now down mixing is easier lol

I tried to explain this before, but I'll take another stab at it. With 7.1 speakers, you have speakers in front of you and speakers behind you. This allows you to differentiate front and back even without any additional context. With headphones, you can capture the hrtf of each of the 7 speakers to get things to sound like they are coming from those directions. You are making some assumptions, so perhaps it won't be as convincing as the actual speakers, but with listener training it can be pretty close. 

The alternative is playing with stereo, where those directions don't exist and you are relying only on context to figure them out. I don't understand how people can consider that better - it means playing with less information.