ASUS VG248QE - 2 questions

Ruttlik

Hey there,

I have a bit of knowledge about all the ports and the 144hz situation but I have 2 questions.

Question 1:

I currently own a Asus VG248QE and have that plugged into my GeForce GTX 970 through a Dual Link DVI-D connection and works perfectly fine. I've been wanting to buy another monitor (the same one) and was wondering how I would connect that one into the GeForce GTX 970 aswell as my other one so that I would have 1920x1080 resolution and 144hz on both monitors.

Question 2:

I currently own a Asus VG248QE and have a Lenovo Legion Y520 laptop. That laptop only has a HDMI and a USB-C port. As far as I know you can't reach 1920x1080 144hz through HDMI so my question is. Is there any way to connect my ASUS VG248QE to my laptop through a USB-C by using some sort of adapter/converter and still get to see 1920x1080 144hz on the monitor?

Thank you for any help!

Q1: Yes, but why would you have two gaming monitors when you can only use one? Why not get 3?

Q2: Probably not. Is the USB-C even able to give a display signal?

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Q1. Just use a DisplayPort cable. That's how I've got mine connected.

Q2. I doubt it. Even if you could get a display signal over the USB-C, because it's only USB3.1 you wouldn't get the 144hz. You'll just have to deal with 60hz or whatever you can manage over HDMI.

3 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Q1: Yes, but why would you have two gaming monitors when you can only use one? Why not get 3?

Q2: Probably not. Is the USB-C even able to give a display signal?

Thanks for the reply,

I only have 1 gaming monitor atm and my question is if it would be possible to connect another one into the GTX 970.

This is what i found that the laptop has on the platform specifications: One USB 2.0, two USB 3.0, one Type-C (with the functions of USB 3.0 and DisplayPort 1.2), HDMI (1.4), Ethernet (RJ-45), audio combo jack.

So yes it is a USB Type-C with a USB 3.0 and DisplayPort 1.2 display signal.

20 minutes ago, Ruttlik said:

Hey there,

I have a bit of knowledge about all the ports and the 144hz situation but I have 2 questions.

Question 1:

I currently own a Asus VG248QE and have that plugged into my GeForce GTX 970 through a Dual Link DVI-D connection and works perfectly fine. I've been wanting to buy another monitor (the same one) and was wondering how I would connect that one into the GeForce GTX 970 aswell as my other one so that I would have 1920x1080 resolution and 144hz on both monitors.

Use the Display Ports on the GTX 970.

Unless of course your I/O is based off the Kepler era of one DP, one HDMI and two DVI ports. Why some board partners went that route idk...

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

34 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Use the Display Ports on the GTX 970.

Unless of course your I/O is based off the Kepler era of one DP, one HDMI and two DVI ports. Why some board partners went that route idk...

Well the GTX 970 only has 1 of each of these followings outputs: DVI-D, DVI-I, HDMI and DisplayPort. So if I had 2 ASUS VG248QE monitors and connect one through DVI-D and the other through DisplayPort, do you think that I will be seeing 1920x1080p 144hz on both of them?

35 minutes ago, Ruttlik said:

Well the GTX 970 only has 1 of each of these followings outputs: DVI-D, DVI-I, HDMI and DisplayPort. So if I had 2 ASUS VG248QE monitors and connect one through DVI-D and the other through DisplayPort, do you think that I will be seeing 1920x1080p 144hz on both of them?

DP and DVI-D will work. I've done that with before with XL2430T's. As long as DVI is dual link you're good to go.

The nvidia reference design had the "proper" I/O config of 3x DP, 1x HDMI and 1x DVI.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

If your laptops USB-C port supports Displayport you can use a cable that goes from USB-C on one end to displayport on the other, I use that cable on my Razer Blade to connect to my VG248Q and it works great at 144Hz.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂