Should I go for more watts or semi modular?

I have need advice on what power supply I should get. I have a i7 8700k and will get a EVGA 1060 3GB. Should I go for a non-modular 550 Watt PSU or a semi-modular 450 Watt PSU? 

I may want to overclock the 8700k in the future. 

Thanks. 

Yeah a 450w power supply isn't going to cut it with those stipulations. Not even a good one.

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
 .'.((      ( ^ `>     )).'.
/`'- \'._____\ (_____.'/ -'`\
|-''`.'------' '------'.`''-|
|.-'`.'.'.`/ | | \`.'.'.`'-.|
 \ .' . /  | | | |  \ . '. /
  '._. :  _|_| |_|_  : ._.'
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

1 minute ago, violentnumeric said:

Yeah a 450w power supply isn't going to cut it with those stipulations. Not even a good one.

A 1060 system should draw less than 250W when overclocked. 450W is plenty

Edited by seon123
Something something

:)

Barebones between the CPU, the 1060, your MOBO, RAM, a fan or three and a hard drive i'd say your at around +-300w so as long as you go for a QUALITY 450 youd be OK.  future beefy GPU upgrades with put the hatchet to that 450, so keep that in mind.

Rig Main Parts

• i9 13900k
  • Z790 ROG Strix-E
  • Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
  • NZXT Z73RGB AIO
  • 32GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mhz 16gbx2
  • MSI A1000G PCI5 ATX 3 1000w PSU
  • Lian Li 0-11 dynamic Razer 
  • Sandisk Extreme PRO 1TB NVME
  • Sandisk Ultra 1TB NVME
  • OCZ Trion 150 1TB SSD
  • 5 additional TT pure plus rgb 120 fans

Monitors/Peripherals

• Acer Predator x35 - 3440x1440 / 200hz 
  • LG C1 48” OLED
  • Razer Huntsman Elite Keyboard
  • Razer Basilisk Ultimate Mouse
  • Shure SRH1540 headphones
  • Schiit Hel 2E Dac/Amp
  • Blue Yeti Mic
  • KRK Rokit 8 G4 monitors
  • KRK S10.4 Subwoofer
  • Razed Enki Gaming Chair
  • Philips Hue Gaming lights
  • Fanatec GT DD Pro 8nm w/shifter, handbrake, csl pedals/clutch, and wrc wheel on Next Level Racing F-GT lite
  • Razer Panthera StFV edition fight stick
  • Razer Goliathus RGB mousepad
  • Razer Wolverine Ultimate Controller
  • PS5 Disc

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

A 1060 system should draw less than 250W when overclocked. 450W is plenty

That's just blatantly wrong. 120W TDP is a stock clocked GTX 1060, and I'll bet OP is not going to leave it stock, that'd be a waste of money. 

You're telling me you think all the other components in a system only use the 35 more watts it takes to get from a CPU with a TDP of 95W + a GPU with a TDP of 120W? lol

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

Go with the CX(2017) it's a better buy overall.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, VadersDad said:

future beefy GPU upgrades with put the hatchet to that 450, so keep that in mind.

I'm not planning on upgrade anytime soon.

1 minute ago, violentnumeric said:

That's just blatantly wrong. 120W TDP is a stock clocked GTX 1060, and I'll bet OP is not going to leave it stock, that'd be a waste of money. 

You're telling me you think all the other components in a system only use the 35 more watts it takes to get from a CPU with a TDP of 95W + a GPU with a TDP of 120W? lol

So actual measurements from Anandtech with an overclocked 1060 running with an overclocked X79 6-core are wrong, and I should instead trust you. Right.. And this is wall draw, which is ~12% more than the consumption of the components, when accounting for the PSU's efficiency

Spoiler

83309.png

then i'd say 450 is fine, just don't expect to go crazy.  I'd suggest looking for 80+gold though.  Cant really put a price on power delivery, especially if your dabbling in OC. Just my opinion.

Rig Main Parts

• i9 13900k
  • Z790 ROG Strix-E
  • Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
  • NZXT Z73RGB AIO
  • 32GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mhz 16gbx2
  • MSI A1000G PCI5 ATX 3 1000w PSU
  • Lian Li 0-11 dynamic Razer 
  • Sandisk Extreme PRO 1TB NVME
  • Sandisk Ultra 1TB NVME
  • OCZ Trion 150 1TB SSD
  • 5 additional TT pure plus rgb 120 fans

Monitors/Peripherals

• Acer Predator x35 - 3440x1440 / 200hz 
  • LG C1 48” OLED
  • Razer Huntsman Elite Keyboard
  • Razer Basilisk Ultimate Mouse
  • Shure SRH1540 headphones
  • Schiit Hel 2E Dac/Amp
  • Blue Yeti Mic
  • KRK Rokit 8 G4 monitors
  • KRK S10.4 Subwoofer
  • Razed Enki Gaming Chair
  • Philips Hue Gaming lights
  • Fanatec GT DD Pro 8nm w/shifter, handbrake, csl pedals/clutch, and wrc wheel on Next Level Racing F-GT lite
  • Razer Panthera StFV edition fight stick
  • Razer Goliathus RGB mousepad
  • Razer Wolverine Ultimate Controller
  • PS5 Disc

8 minutes ago, violentnumeric said:

I ran a GTX 980 with a factory oveclock, a i5-4670K with a minor overclock (it was 4.2GHz or something), and a Corsair H80i. The rest of the specs aren't really relevant, but otherwise the PC was drawing only about 230W during one of the heavier games I threw at it. And it had a 450W PSU.

450W is fine for what OP is looking at. Assuming it's a quality PSU.

Also TDP is not power consumption. It's a requirement of how much heat energy a cooler needs to dissipate.

9 minutes ago, sirfredrick said:

Do you buy from the US? If you are able to use the rebate, the Focus Gold 550W is available for $45. A nice 7 year warranty, semi modular, plenty of wattage, and (assuming it's close to the FX), very good electrical performance

So actual measurements from Anandtech with an overclocked 1060 running with an overclocked X79 6-core are wrong, and I should instead trust you. Right.. And this is wall draw, which is ~12% more than the consumption of the components, when accounting for the PSU's efficiency

Hide contents

83309.png

If you use a tiny $40 mATX board, zero case fans, 1 SSD, a PS2 keyboard and mouse, and an 80+ titanium power supply those numbers might be possible, otherwise you're delusional :)

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Also TDP is not power consumption. It's a requirement of how much heat energy a cooler needs to dissipate

It's a good estimate, though. Most of the power goes to heat, the rest goes into moving the fans. Energy can't be destroyed etc. 

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I ran a GTX 980 with a factory oveclock, a i5-4670K with a minor overclock (it was 4.2GHz or something), and a Corsair H80i. The rest of the specs aren't really relevant, but otherwise the PC was drawing only about 230W during one of the heavier games I threw at it. And it had a 450W PSU.

450W is fine for what OP is looking at. Assuming it's a quality PSU.

Also TDP is not power consumption. It's a requirement of how much heat energy a cooler needs to dissipate.

You're right, power consumption usually massively exceeds TDP xD

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

Just now, violentnumeric said:

If you use a tiny $40 mATX board, zero case fans, 1 SSD, a PS2 keyboard and mouse, and an 80+ titanium power supply those numbers might be possible, otherwise you're delusional :)

Here's the link to the testing platform

https://www.anandtech.com/show/10540/the-geforce-gtx-1060-founders-edition-asus-strix-review/4

And here's the link to here they tested the power draw (from the wall). 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/10540/the-geforce-gtx-1060-founders-edition-asus-strix-review/16

In case you are not able to scroll down the website, that's your personal problem, and not something I'm able to help you with. Seems you might need some help with that, to go along with your other special needs :) (inability to check the source, spewing obvious falsehoods, etc)

2 minutes ago, violentnumeric said:

No, not really. The fans and LEDs don't draw much power at all.

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Do you buy from the US? If you are able to use the rebate, the Focus Gold 550W is available for $45. A nice 7 year warranty, semi modular, plenty of wattage, and (assuming it's close to the FX), very good electrical performance

Yep, that sounds really good! Thanks for the help! Is that deal time limited?

1 minute ago, sirfredrick said:

Yep, that sounds really good! Thanks for the help! Is that deal time limited?

No problem. 

Rebates are time limited. Doesn't say until when on Newegg's website. 

No problem. 

Rebates are time limited. Doesn't say until when on Newegg's website. 

I'm thinking about building my computer the end of this month. (I'll have enough funds) Is that too early to get the PSU? Or is this too good of a deal to pass up?

2 minutes ago, sirfredrick said:

I'm thinking about building my computer the end of this month. (I'll have enough funds) Is that too early to get the PSU? Or is this too good of a deal to pass up?

There is often at least one good PSU on sale for around that price. I'm not an oracle, so I can't tell you what'll be available in several weeks. 

16 minutes ago, violentnumeric said:

You're delusional lad. Give me a link to any of these unfounded claims you've made proving your point. You're the shit that needs to stop giving bad tech advice to people who likely don't know any better. 

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

38 minutes ago, violentnumeric said:

Proof that you don't really know what you're talking about in bold - power supply efficiency doesn't affect output power capability.

1 hour ago, violentnumeric said:

Yes absolutely, because Modern PSU explode with a mushroom cloud when they are loaded over 45% of their advertized load.

Totally correct...

Especially when there ain't no manufacturer advertizing that the output capacity can be done 24/7 like Bitfenix does.

54 minutes ago, sirfredrick said:

Neither, get a better one like Bitfenix Formula or TX-M

53 minutes ago, violentnumeric said:

That's just what you believe while OC doesn't make that much sense these days because many chips are already used at the upper limit that is possible for them. Especially Ryzen...

53 minutes ago, violentnumeric said:

No, its less.

What other component can use much Power in a PC?!
The only thing that might come to mind are the CPU VRM and here we are talking about 95/,8 -95 ~25W if we talk about the most shitty VRM we can think of and 80% efficiency. So with 90 its about half of that. And that is what you can expect from a good Board!

42 minutes ago, violentnumeric said:

Oh my god.

If you don't know anything of what you are talking about, stop talking about it and start learning!!

You don't even seem to know what TDP meens.

And that its used today to says 'you need that XXW TDP Cooler for CPU". Thats it.

And what it means depends on the definition. Usually components DO NOT EXCEED IT!

44 minutes ago, violentnumeric said:

You are totally right, that is why my powermeter tells me that the rig I'm flamin you from right now consumes between 24 and 30W right now while I write this shit.

Granted it is a system without any graphics card and only an i3-4150 on an ITX Board and only with a 700W Platinum PSU...

But even then, my i7-3930K runs fine with my RX480 OC (1330 MHz Power Color Red Devil) with a 400W PSU. So if I am able to run such a PC with a sloppy 400W PSU, people should be able to run a normal Desktop/Mobile System with less.

Though there are no good quality 350W or less PSU on the market right now...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"