Cooling in the ThermalTake V1 Mini ITX Cube

Mathias3132

This is my first gaming build and I'm trying to decide on whether or not to add more fans to the build. The case is a ThermalTake V1 Mini ITX cube which comes with a 200mm fan and can support a pair of 80mm in the back of it. Would it be best to do the build without the extra fans and see the temps before deciding? For the rest of the build, I'm using:

-Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N-GAMING WiFi (which only has two fan headers. One for the CPU and another for sys_fan)

-Processor: Ryzen 3 2200G with the stock fan

- GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mini

- PSU: EVGA 450 BT, 80+ Bronze 450W

- RAM: Ballistix Sport LT 8GB Single DDR4 2666 MT/s 288-Pin

Can't say about the cooling, but change the PSU 

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

You'd get a much better performance bump by upgrading the stock cooler compared to adding two 80mm exhaust fans. Additionally, most 80mm fans are quite loud and don't move much air.

Regarding the AB350N's two ports - you could get a fan splitter to fix that.

I wouldn't add the two 80 mm fans.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

If you want to look at fan options, here's a google sheet that was set up a while ago: PC Fans. All of Them.

Just a note - the data is provided by the manufactures and will have a bias towards better performance. Some companies that make good fans are BeQuiet!, Noctua, Corsair, Fractal Design and Noise Blocker.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

I just got done a build in this case. If you are not using a tower style cooler then changing the fan configuration doesn't make a huge difference. The 200mm front fan does do a very good job and I would recommend keeping it unless you want to switch for aesthetic purposes. Most fan configurations perform the same, you could get better cooling if you converted the side panel near the drive sleds to a window (at added cost) but with your parts list you will not have an issue with cooling even if you use the stock cooler.

Due to my lack of 80mm fans I was unable to test this configuration, however I don't think it would make a huge difference with the possible exception of sustained loads (over 15 minutes of full CPU load).

The GPU thrives with that ventilated side panel. I would suggest getting a magnetic dust filter off of amazon for it though.

Would not recommend that PSU.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

For the PSU, what would be suggested? Would a 500W be better? I had plugged the parts into that power supply calculator on Cool Master and it suggested a 400, so I went with that PSU because it was close enough and cheaper.

1 hour ago, Mathias3132 said:

For the PSU, what would be suggested? Would a 500W be better? I had plugged the parts into that power supply calculator on Cool Master and it suggested a 400, so I went with that PSU because it was close enough and cheaper.

Anything from the range of tier 1 to tier 4. I would not go below tier 4 is recommended.

I typically avoid EVGA power supplies just because they have saturated the market with so many power supplies that it easily confuses people. You have people saying "EVGA PSUs are good" but they make just as many bad ones as good ones.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

See the temps before deciding whether or not to replace the stock cooling. It should be enough already and you don't need to change out or add fans unless the original ones are too noisy.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.