Half my memory is 'hardware reserved'. Desperately need help!

Hello. 
I'm having trouble with my system - whereby only half of my system RAM is actually usable. The other half (4GB), according to resource monitor is 'hardware reserved'. 
I've done everything I could possible do to try and fix this and I've gone through every trouble-shooting method I could think of and find online. 
Briefly, I'll explain what I've done so far. 

- Full reinstall of windows
- Updating Bios to latest version
- Reset the memory
- Tried each stick individually in both of the slots individually (to see if the sticks and or the board itself was physically faulty, which it doesn't seem to be, since both sticks worked just fine in both slots)
- Tried another stick of DDR4 I have lying around, 
- Tried pairing one of the hyperX sticks with the other stick I had lying around (which presented me with the same error)
- Tried changing 'pagefileatshutdown' from 0 to 1 in registry
- Ran the built in windows memory diagnostics test (to which no errors were found)
- Double checked to see if my particular memory sticks were on the compatibility list (which they are)
- Unchecked Maximum memory in the advanced boot options of msconfig. 

- Tried reseating the CPU. 

I'm utterly stumped. Both sticks are identified by both the Bios and windows itself. 
I'm not one to usually ask on forums for technical support - but I think in this case I do need the help. I bought this motherboard yesterday - and I don't think it's faulty necessarily but I'm beyond stumped. I'd appreciate any and all help on this matter. 

Thank's heaps for your time! 

Full system specs: 
* Ryzen 3 - 1200

* Gigabyte GA-AB350m-HD3 (Latest bios)

* Kingston HyperX 4GB x2 (HX421C14FBK2)
* GTX 1060 (Asus Turbo cooler)
*Windows 10 64x

Image2.PNG

Image1.PNG

Normally that isn't an issue, what happens when you do sth that takes more than let's say 3 GB of ram? For me I right now have 12.7GB in use and 77mb hardware reserved.

Hardware reserved means that's ram that is reserved for the bios and other peripherals

Quote=Reply      Feel free to tag me or sth if you have questions about Liquid Metal :) ROCKETS ARE LIFE                                                                      My current build:                                    

CPU: I7 6700k@4.7Ghz 1.31sth V; Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) | Cooler: Corsair H100iv2 | GPU: HIS R9 390 | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz HyperX FuryX | Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 960 Evo 1x random 4TB 7200RPM HDD | Case: Lian Li Alpha  550W | PSU: Corsair RM650i | Misc.: 6x Lian Li 120mm Bora RGB Fans

My Build Log: 

Sometimes BIOS has a setting for integrated graphics where you can specify how much memory is reserved for it. Seems unlikely for your hardware, and for so much RAM, but might still be worth checking.

If you want good hardware recommendations, please tell us how you intend to use the hardware. There's rarely a single correct answer.

Just now, thelordofwarr said:

Normally that isn't an issue, what happens when you do sth that takes more than let's say 3 GB of ram? For me I right now have 12.7GB in use and 77mb hardware reserved.

Hardware reserved means that's ram that is reserved for the bios and other peripherals

But I'm no expert so to say

Quote=Reply      Feel free to tag me or sth if you have questions about Liquid Metal :) ROCKETS ARE LIFE                                                                      My current build:                                    

CPU: I7 6700k@4.7Ghz 1.31sth V; Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) | Cooler: Corsair H100iv2 | GPU: HIS R9 390 | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz HyperX FuryX | Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 960 Evo 1x random 4TB 7200RPM HDD | Case: Lian Li Alpha  550W | PSU: Corsair RM650i | Misc.: 6x Lian Li 120mm Bora RGB Fans

My Build Log: 

I would try resetting the CMOS, maybe that helps, either by shortening the corresponding pins ore taking the CMOS battery out(I recommend the pins, where they are should be in your manual)

My Build Log: 

1 minute ago, thelordofwarr said:

The games i've tested (Just cause 3, Crysis 3 and the FFXV Demo) won't use more than the usable 4gb memory, and suffer performance issues because of it. 

1 minute ago, Cyanara said:

Sometimes BIOS has a setting for integrated graphics where you can specify how much memory is reserved for it. Seems unlikely for your hardware, and for so much RAM, but might still be worth checking.

I forgot to mention this actually, as I didn't think it was relevant - but the bios isn't saying it's reserving any memory for the intergrated graphics. Which makes sense considering my CPU doesn't have any anyway. 

Hmm, I'm currently searching for a easy way to occupy memory...do you have Minecraft ^•^"

My Build Log: 

Or you go ahead and open a bunch of chrome tabs till it either crashes or...yeah anything irregular happens

But give me a minute I'm searching

My Build Log: 

My Build Log: 

This also looks like some viable solutions 

My Build Log: 

12 minutes ago, thelordofwarr said:

This also looks like some viable solutions 

I actually did all the things in that video, they were some of the first solutions I tried. 

Unchecking the max ram isn't up there but sry if I didn't see sth...

My Build Log: 

Just now, thelordofwarr said:

Unchecking the max ram isn't up there but sry if I didn't see sth...

Oh, no you're completely right - I did forget to add that to the list of things i've tried. I shall update my OP now. 

Just to verify, you did try just 1 stick of ram by itself? Cause this might be a board issue.

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 AF -- CPU Cooler: Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT -- Mobo: Gigabyte AX370-Gaming K5 -- RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Oloy 3000 MHz -- GPU: EVGA Nvidia 1070 Black -- Case: Phanteks P600S -- Storage: 240GB Corsair Force MP510 NVMe - 500GB WD Blue HDD - Hitachi 3TB HDD -- PSU: Corsair RM750i -- OS: Windows 10 Pro

50 minutes ago, Supagetti said:

- Tried each stick individually in both of the slots individually (to see if the sticks and or the board itself was physically faulty, which it doesn't seem to be, since both sticks worked just fine in both slots)

seems so for me...but now i run out of ideas where the problem could be comming from

My Build Log: 

Just now, PhoenixEmmaley said:

Just to verify, you did try just 1 stick of ram by itself? Cause this might be a board issue.

Yep. I tried one stick at a time, in both ram slots. Both sticks worked in both slots individually, with a full usable 4GB for each stick in each slot when I tried it. 

6 minutes ago, Supagetti said:

Yep. I tried one stick at a time, in both ram slots. Both sticks worked in both slots individually, with a full usable 4GB for each stick in each slot when I tried it. 

Do you have another full set of ram you can try instead?

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 AF -- CPU Cooler: Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT -- Mobo: Gigabyte AX370-Gaming K5 -- RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Oloy 3000 MHz -- GPU: EVGA Nvidia 1070 Black -- Case: Phanteks P600S -- Storage: 240GB Corsair Force MP510 NVMe - 500GB WD Blue HDD - Hitachi 3TB HDD -- PSU: Corsair RM750i -- OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, PhoenixEmmaley said:

Do you have another full set of ram you can try instead?

Unfortunately not. It's not really something I can go out and buy either - as the price of DDR4 is ridiculously expensive in Australia and my budget for March is already at peek as it is haha. 

3 minutes ago, Supagetti said:

Unfortunately not. It's not really something I can go out and buy either - as the price of DDR4 is ridiculously expensive in Australia and my budget for March is already at peek as it is haha. 

Dang. Could try reseating the CPU.

Specs:

1 minute ago, PhoenixEmmaley said:

Dang. Could try reseating the CPU.

I'll give that try tomorrow I think, might as well.  

4 minutes ago, Supagetti said:

I'll give that try tomorrow I think, might as well.  

Hopefully it helps. Nothing else I can think of right now.

Specs:

37 minutes ago, PhoenixEmmaley said:

Hopefully it helps. Nothing else I can think of right now.

Just tried reseating my cpu. Unfortunately It didn't help fix the issue. Worth a try though. 

WELP. 

I took the entire machine out of my case - tried once more to reseat the CPU - but this time I took extra care with replacing the CPU cooler, tightening it evenly, but not too much. 
I took it out of the case to try and isolate a potential grounding issue. I tried it before reseating the cpu again and it didn't work, but now that i've got it back together after adjusting the cpu - i'm getting my full 8gb of usable memory. 

So - for now, I think i've fixed the issue. 

I'd like to give a huge thank you to everyone who read - and most importantly, took time to reply to this post offering any kind of help at all. Thank you so much for your time, I truly do appreciate the help. 

Sweet! Glad to see that you can now use all 8GB's. Let's just hope it stays that way :D

Specs:

Wow, that's a weird one! Thanks for letting us know how you fixed it.

If you want good hardware recommendations, please tell us how you intend to use the hardware. There's rarely a single correct answer.