Thieves steal 600 powerful bitcoin-mining computers in huge heist

I wonder how exactly they plan to USE those.  You'd need a large enough facility to run something like that in and that facility would draw a signifigant ammount of power.  I wonder if you can 'Grow Op' a Bitcoin farm?  Like, covertly use residential housing as a data center with a bypass done on the electrical box to get around the metering to minimize detection by the utility provider?

14 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

I wonder how exactly they plan to USE those.  You'd need a large enough facility to run something like that in and that facility would draw a signifigant ammount of power.  I wonder if you can 'Grow Op' a Bitcoin farm?  Like, covertly use residential housing as a data center with a bypass done on the electrical box to get around the metering to minimize detection by the utility provider?

Yes it is possible, grow ops most of the time bypass electrical meter by tapping into the line before the meter, often times coring through the concrete foundation. However the electrical companies have caught on over the decades and would know the general area on the grid of the electrical spike in consumption.

What some have done was to use a stolen industrial generator in a rural area.

2 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Yes it is possible, grow ops most of the time bypass electrical meter by tapping into the line before the meter, often times coring through the concrete foundation. However the electrical companies have caught on over the decades and would know the general area on the grid of the electrical spike in consumption.

So, I comment that houses used as grow ups often have illegal bypassings of the electrical meter and you response by saying 'Yes, grow up house DO bypass teh electrical meter' as if it's some factoid I was asking about when it was outright a statement I made?  Why?

18 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

I wonder if you can 'Grow Op' a Bitcoin farm?  Like, covertly use residential housing as a data center with a bypass done on the electrical box to get around the metering to minimize detection by the utility provider?

yes, you see this regularly in spanish news, for cannabis mainly. They'll rent a house in a residential neighbourhood, use the energy normally to not give away their location and tap into the powergrid for the rest of the energy needed to grow the plants, or, in this case, mine. Power companies do end up noticing, but not immediately. Recently they discovered a chinese mafia doing this, they went even further and changed location regularly to avoid being caught, till somebody told the police.

7 minutes ago, The Viking said:

yes, you see this regularly in spanish news, for cannabis mainly. They'll rent a house in a residential neighbourhood, use the energy normally to not give away their location and tap into the powergrid for the rest of the energy needed to grow the plants, or, in this case, mine. Power companies do end up noticing, but not immediately. Recently they discovered a chinese mafia doing this, they went even further and changed location regularly to avoid being caught, till somebody told the police.

Again someone is explaining to me what a Grow Op is after I clearly demonstrated knowing what it is in my very comment.  Why?

More over, I think that people are failing to understand something: A residential house being used as a grow up REQUIRES HEAT.  You are using a residential building as a literal green house, with warm humid temperatures being ideal for growing operations.  To run a mining farm on the other hand, you need the opposite; Cooling.  Making a house warm is one thing, venting out heat generated from what would effectively be an 'underground data center' would be signifigantly challenging.  After all, a standard residential HVAC system will NOT have anywhere near the capacity needed to cool a house full of datacenter hardware running full tilt.

8 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Again someone is explaining to me what a Grow Op is after I clearly demonstrated knowing what it is in my very comment.  Why? 

Maybe the question mark at the end?

20 hours ago, Canada EH said:

I am waiting for a truck load of gpu's to be stolen

19 hours ago, UniBomber said:

They also stole 600 gpus.

Alright, where can I get one? :P

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

16 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

because

18 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

I wonder if you can 'Grow Op' a Bitcoin farm?  Like, covertly use residential housing as a data center with a bypass done on the electrical box to get around the metering to minimize detection by the utility provider?

you clearly asked a question. The other dude replied, I did not understand why you were unhappy with his answer, and I replied. Maybe don't write it as a question then?

17 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

More over, I think that people are failing to understand something: A residential house being used as a grow up REQUIRES HEAT.  You are using a residential building as a literal green house, with warm humid temperatures being ideal for growing operations.  To run a mining farm on the other hand, you need the opposite; Cooling.  Making a house warm is one thing, venting out heat generated from what would effectively be an 'underground data center' would be signifigantly challenging.  After all, a standard residential HVAC system will NOT have anywhere near the capacity needed to cool a house full of datacenter hardware running full tilt.

it's iceland. Just open your window, done, cooling. Or buy one of those huge fans, done.

industrial-fans-06.jpg.fe8bf86c5167cd27d4b65500f659b37f.jpg

there's already plenty of crypto mines in iceland, they all use random houses far from everything and have quite basic cooling systems.

13 minutes ago, tikker said:

I suppose it's really my fault for assuming that the people on the LTT forum would not need it spelled out to them that data centers require signifigant ammounts of cooling.

6 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I suppose it's really my fault for assuming that the people on the LTT forum would not need it spelled out to them that data centers require signifigant ammounts of cooling.

7 minutes ago, The Viking said:

it's iceland. Just open your window, done, cooling.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/iceland-crypto-mining-companies-will-consume-more-energy-than-households-in-2018

The naturally cold climate and access to renewable energy are listed as the primary reasons for the influx of crypto mining companies to the Nordic island nation.

like, damn, please. Yes, a datacenter requires cooling, we know that. Why do you think most companies built their dataservers north of europe such as Norway? 

edit: more cooling!

Keflavik, a coastal town on the southern peninsula of Iceland, is home to three of the biggest Bitcoin mining sites in the country. These mining “farms” have walls that are open to the elements, which allows cold wind to naturally cool down the mining hardware.

1 minute ago, The Viking said:

https://cointelegraph.com/news/iceland-crypto-mining-companies-will-consume-more-energy-than-households-in-2018

like, damn, please. Yes, a datacenter requires cooling, we know that. Why do you think most companies built their dataservers north of europe such as Norway? 

Because you're painfully mistaken if you think that these regions are cold enough to provide 'magic free cooling'.  What colder temperatures offer is a lowe ambient temperature for your data center facility to compete with.  The average summer temperatures in Iceland are above 10'C.  You will still need a pretty involved air conditioning and ventallation system to keep a data center cool.  You'll just need LESS than what you would need if you were running one in Florida.

12 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Because you're painfully mistaken if you think that these regions are cold enough to provide 'magic free cooling'.  What colder temperatures offer is a lowe ambient temperature for your data center facility to compete with.  The average summer temperatures in Iceland are above 10'C.  You will still need a pretty involved air conditioning and ventallation system to keep a data center cool.  You'll just need LESS than what you would need if you were running one in Florida.

These mining “farms” have walls that are open to the elements, which allows cold wind to naturally cool down the mining hardware.

i think not?

1 minute ago, The Viking said:

i think not?

THOSE would be PURPOSE BUILT DATA CENTER STRUCTURES.  We are talking about RESIDENTIAL HOUSING.

Excellent, now if this could happen a couple more times... and take all the mining shit out of our province, that'd be great.

Our power company (Hydro Quebec) is essentially threatening to increase their rates for everyone, due to the higher demand from international Miners coming over here to establish a mining farm with our "low cost" green(hydro) power, since it would require them to build new power stations in the coming years to handle the ever increasing demand from miners.... All the while giving discounts to said miners.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 hours ago, tikker said:

Alright, where can I get one? :P

ebay no doubt