Whats the best AMD CPU to try to get as many Hertz as possible?

Title

I watched an OC nerd video on YT spitting out terms I had no clue of like it was nothing, he was going over VRM's 'n shit.

He said the best mobo to have is the Gigabyte K7 - OK I misheard the guy, he said K7 is best memory OC for Am4. Loses OC ability for cpu. But he said he'd buy it for himself!

ASUS F Gaming - Great VRm, loses post code, the buttons, strong option. Good for casual OC'er.

He also said the ASUS VI Hero and VI Extreme are overkill for AMD OC'ing, and they are more expensive.

Which got me wondering, since I will buy the K7, again tite.

His accent ???? A bit British but thers something else in there.

Just hold off for new and improved chipset for Ryzen 2. It's gonna be compatible but probably with just some new features (in same fashion like there way Z170 and Z270). 

And hopefully they'll improve VRMs on all of the new series motherboards.

4 minutes ago, Yoola said:

Just hold off for new and improved chipset for Ryzen 2. It's gonna be compatible but probably with just some new features (in same fashion like there way Z170 and Z270). 

And hopefully they'll improve VRMs on all of the new series motherboards.

I don't think they'll improve VRMs just because, unless Ryzen 2 uses significantly higher power. What I'm looking for is out-of-box stability for RAM speeds over 3200MHz, hopefully we get that at least. And a couple other nice things like NVMe boot off the chipset.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, Energycore said:

I don't think they'll improve VRMs just because, unless Ryzen 2 uses significantly higher power. What I'm looking for is out-of-box stability for RAM speeds over 3200MHz, hopefully we get that at least. And a couple other nice things like NVMe boot off the chipset.

B350 motherboards had mostly really bad VRMs. I'm pretty sure they noticed that and hopefully made actions on it. 

Also it's same ZEN architecture so majority of things they're gonna deliver alongside 12nm node shrink is some clock improvements and hopefully slight IPC gains. If they managed to improve latter two, that might indicate significat rise in power consumption & power draw, which would give a warning for VRM design. 

Just now, Yoola said:

B350 motherboards had mostly really bad VRMs. I'm pretty sure they noticed that and hopefully made actions on it. 

Also it's same ZEN architecture so majority of things they're gonna deliver alongside 12nm node shrink is some clock improvements and hopefully slight IPC gains. If they managed to improve latter two, that might indicate significat rise in power consumption & power draw, which would give a warning for VRM design. 

Actually you've got that backwards, smaller manufacturing nodes decrease power consumption, which is one of the reasons why you can get away with higher clock speeds on a smaller node.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

So tell me this, is VRM amperage and size the major contributing factor in achieving the highest cpu frequencies?

Just now, Canada EH said:

So tell me this, is VRM amperage and size the major contributing factor in achieving the highest cpu frequencies?

Sadly, silicon lottery is the biggest factor.

Though the VRM being stable does matter for overclocks especially extreme overclocks under LN2.

Rated power of your VRM mostly helps so that you can push voltage (thus power) without frying your motherboard.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Sadly, silicon lottery is the biggest factor.

Though the VRM being stable does matter for overclocks especially extreme overclocks under LN2.

Rated power of your VRM mostly helps so that you can push voltage (thus power) without frying your motherboard.

Yeah the silicon lotto is the major factor.

Also, the more amps the VRM's can handle, the cooler it is.

Unless Ryzen 2 has fixed the problem they have for overclocking I see it being a very similar scenario. I full expect they will make 4.1-4.2ghz for their turbo boost, but that will probably also be the cap you will see in overclocking much like it was with the 1800x.

The overclocking problem has a lot to do with the ryzen architecture which they aren't really changing... the die shrink will let them get a little more out of the chip, but like I said I think it will be the same issue they have now just 200 mhz higher.