Maplin Electronics UK goes into Administration

Hi All, 

Following on from NCIX Bankruptcy with you, it looks like Maplin Electronics and Toy'R'us in the UK are both going under. 

FYI Maplin started off as a Electronics component catalogue company. They then opened stores, and in the 2000's changed business model to sell consumer electronics, though still selling electronics components. 

I think long term they couldn't compete with Amazon on the Consumer electronics front, or more recently the electronics component front.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43223175

Regards.

Craig Thomas, Cambridge UK

Doesn't surprise me at all, they sold nice quality goods but they're horribly over priced. Shame about Toys r us though, that place was boss as a kid.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

thank fuck, they sold shit wayyyyyy over priced and their support was utter dogshit, thank fuck. 

They are terrible and I'm glad to see them gone, however unemployment sucks for those who will be affected.

@SC2Mitch agreed, though that is only a 2005 onward issue. Before 2005 they were great, especially if you did hobby electronics and wanted to browse or pick up components, without the delay of postage.

But i suppose this signals a greater trend in that no one these days would try or attempt to fix consumer electronics. That being said RS and Farnell are both going strong i believe.

10 minutes ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

Doesn't surprise me at all, they sold nice quality goods but they're horribly over priced. Shame about Toys r us though, that place was boss as a kid.

Ikr. I had buy a HDMI cable. They were £20 for a 3m. Such a ripoff

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

I haven't bought anything from Maplins in years... maybe that's part of the problem. I too also first used them for electronic components, as Farnell/RS didn't like dealing with individuals, not at that time anyway.

I'm trying to think but not sure who went at what time, but other high street electrical retailers have gone. It is a tough space to be in.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, Cragdor said:

But i suppose this signals a greater trend in that no one these days would try or attempt to fix consumer electronics. That being said RS and Farnell are both going strong i believe.

I don't know if it is still the case, but I always saw RS and Farnell as catering more to business sales. I felt so dirty, as recently I needed some SD cards at work. We have an open account with Farnell, and I ended up with small capacity, overpriced, slow SD cards. If I could buy with my own money, I could have got more capacity, faster cards from Amazon for half the price.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Maplins used to be something really great, then things changed, this was just waiting to happen past few years.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

8 minutes ago, porina said:

Small capacity, overpriced, slow SD cards. If I could buy with my own money, I could have got more capacity, faster cards from Amazon for half the price.

It's usually quiet easy to find a new supplier with better prices, it's just whoever originally set up business accounts never check these things at a later date to see if they should switch to another supplier, plenty of times I've bought equipment for my previous employer out of my pocket and they paid me back the same day, because I found superior and more affordable after fishing around for about three minutes.

The problem is most employees don't care because it's not their cash, and usually saving the company you work for money goes unnoticed. 

1 minute ago, WhatTheHell said:

It's usually quiet easy to find a new supplier with better prices, it's just whoever originally set up business accounts never check these things at a later date to see if they should switch to another supplier.

We're in the electronics industry so we do get a load of stuff from RS/Farnell in general, hence the open account - we can order from them with one less layer of approvals than otherwise. There are not really other wide ranging component suppliers without going international. Basically to do anything else would have required me to get a new account set up with someone else, and it just isn't worth the hassle.

Plenty of times I've bought equipment for my previous employer out of my pocket and they paid me back the same day, because I found superior and more affordable after fishing around for about three minutes, 

I used to do that, but getting repaid was more like a week or two. Now they changed the rules so this is essentially not allowed at all. They want people to use the business processes even if it means everything takes 10 times longer while we screw around with the (virtual) paperwork.

The problem is most employees don't care because it's not their cash, and usually saving the company you work for money goes unnoticed. 

We do care, but business rules prevent us from doing something better, and like in any large organisation, changing that is not a battle most will want to fight.

My manager actually tells me to spend more on expenses while work travelling. If I have a meal, I just have a meal, decent but not extravagant. My amounts are being seen as too low compared to other departments who go more all out.

From both personal experience and work, maplin has be a go to supplier, especially for parts, not just PCs, we lay our own cabling throughout the site. That includes power, networking, audio and visual. I ran my own Ethernet through out my house, for the ends of cables and small components, maplin has been great especially when you just need a couple of RJ45 ends and can't be bothered waiting a day or two for shipping. 

Time to look for another go-to supplier...