MELTDOWN: BITCOIN CRASHES TO $576!

PillowSmoke

Bitcoin fell from a high of $1,079 to a low of $576 today. This is according to data from Mt. Gox. Also, this represents a breathtaking 46% crash.

Currently, Bitcoin is back to the $700 level. This is still down a whopping 35%.

The sharp moves come in the wake of China's clampdown on the controversial digital currency.

Earlier this week, the People's Bank of China announced it was barring the country's banks from handling the Bitcoin. (That Thursday announcement was followed by a 30% intraday crash.)

That was followed by this announcement from Baidu, aka "the Chinese Google":

Due to the recent fluctuations in the price of Bitcoin larger unable to protect the interests of users, in response to the risk of state-controlled bitcoin spirit Baidu music accelerate decision to suspend with immediate effect from accepting bitcoin buy accelerate music services.

Horrific price volatility has been one of the biggest criticisms.

This week, Bank of America Merrill Lynch currency strategist David Woo initiated coverage of Bitcoin, assigning a $1,300 fair value.

"We believe Bitcoin can become a major means of payment for e-commerce and may emerge as a serious competitor to traditional money transfer providers," wrote Woo in a 14-page note to clients. "As a medium of exchange, Bitcoin has clear potential for growth, in our view."

capture-222.jpg

http://www.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-crashes-to-576-2013-12

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Ruh roh

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Time to mine Litecoins ;(

Hopefully in time the value is worth more in the next 6months starting from 2014.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I saw this and was gonna report it. Litecoin has dropped as well. Looks like my business proposal is gonna have to go plan B :(

and by business proposal I mean for my nosiness club for school

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

I saw this and was gonna report it. Litecoin has dropped as well. Looks like my business proposal is gonna have to go plan B :(

:/

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Volatile currency is volatile.... Make no mistake, it will go up again. It'll keep changing until it reaches a plateau... Or governments ban it 

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Well now its the time to buy. As soon as it hits 600 or 700 sell it.

Bitcoin is no currency, its a gamble machine :)

Gambling is also done with currency?

I believe the same sort of thing happened a few weeks ago, it'll be fine

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

I believe the same sort of thing happened a few weeks ago, it'll be fine

It's basically banned in China.

Well now its the time to buy. As soon as it hits 600 or 700 sell it.

Bitcoin is no currency, its a gamble machine :)

Bitcoins are no different than the stock market at this point in time. I'm not touching them with a stick unless I absolutely have to.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Gambling is also done with currency?

:P miss the point, but i know what you are trying to say.

bitcoin has value, some people put real money in it to earn quick money, some people mine it for same reason, some people use it as a currency. some people get easy money, some people get raped hard.

sorta like gambling machines.

i wouldnt use it as a currency... ever

:P miss the point, but i know what you are trying to say.

bitcoin has value, some people put real money in it to earn quick money, some people mine it for same reason, some people use it as a currency. some people get easy money, some people get raped hard.

sorta like gambling machines.

i wouldnt use it as a currency... never

Using it as a currency or being a currency, a cow can be used as currency or w/e ;p

Using it as a currency or being a currency, a cow can be used as currency or w/e ;p

WTT cow for BTC  xD

bitcoin can be used as currency and as gamble machine, latter is more appealing and more realistic right now. but i do think bitcoin has(had) potential if it was more accepted and stable.

I don't think bitcoin will be around for another 5 years.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Almost makes you feel bad for the folks that bought in at $1000, thinking it was going to keep going... Almost any way.

Almost makes you feel bad for the folks that bought in at $1000, thinking it was going to keep going... Almost any way.

well miners benefited from them :D someone has to loose lottery no?

You can gamble with cows too!

moo

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015