Is it better to put more $$$ into the CPU or GPU?

Go to solution Solved by r3loAded,
3 hours ago, subrooz said:

MAIN QUESTION: Will the next set of GPU'S have a high impact from current 1080/ti models, or would the next Ryzen generation have a much higher impact from the current models? Which route is more beneficial to take?

That is something we couldn't know. We can only speculate and guess by looking at previous generations. But exact performance increase it's a mystery until actual reviews win come out.

As @GoldenLag replied, even it's a funny reply, it's a true one, it depends. In the scenario you laid down you'll have to make a compromise either way. Now you need to sit down and make a list with pros and cons and see where that compromise should be done. Either CPU or GPU.

In my opinion I would say in the CPU department, considering AM4 motherboards will support future Ryzen chips and you should be able to upgrade if needed. And is cheaper to upgrade a CPU than a GPU. I know that the new generation of GPUs will bring higher performance to the table, but that comes with a pretty high price tag. Or, alternatively, if possible, wait a little bit more until you can afford to go full on CPU and GPU. But there will always be something better right around the corner.

Currently building a PC, however i have the option of either going {all out on the CPU w/ a good GPU} or going {all out on the GPU w/ a good CPU}. 
EXAMPLE: Ryzen 7 1800x w/ GTX 1080 @ 1440p,   OR   Ryzen 5 1600 w/ GTX 1080ti @ 1440p  

1 [ I know some people might argue the 1800x isn't really going all out, but this is just the scenario.]

2 [ Both build paths on these systems will suit my needs and wants for now to game, work, and produce music]

3 [ Both build paths add to roughly the same price]
I'm doing this to save some money right now, and to possibly upgrade either one of them to the next gen in the upcoming year or so. For example, upgrading the good GPU [GTX 1080] to the 2080ti generation coming soon, or upgrading the good CPU [R5 1600] to the next Ryzen+.

MAIN QUESTION: Will the next set of GPU'S have a high impact from current 1080/ti models, or would the next Ryzen generation have a much higher impact from the current models? Which route is more beneficial to take?

depends what you will be using it for

AAA gaming at 4K and 144Hz

or Word Processing and internet surfing

or rendering and video editing

There is no need to upgrade, just be content with what you have, if thats 1600+1080 then just leave it be.

Besides that we know nothing until these products come out and people start fucking around wiff em

3 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Besides that we know nothing until these products come out and people start fucking around wiff em

Yeah thats true, since you have the 1600x, would you say its holding up well for most of your needs and wants in a PC?

1 minute ago, subrooz said:

Yeah thats true, since you have the 1600x, would you say its holding up well for most of your needs and wants in a PC?

yup its a fine cpu but again depends on what you are using the pc for.

Mid range cpu is good enough for heavy gaming. Invest more money on the gpu. As long as you are just gaming, a mid range i5 or ryzen 16xx is good enough. No need get any higher than that. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

in general, most gaming pcs spend more on graphics cards than CPUs.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I would say that performance per dollar peaks at i5 8600k and R5 1600(x).

If your budget means you have to reduce your GPU tier to increase CPU tier to i7/R7, dont.  Go with the better GPU.

1 hour ago, subrooz said:

2 [ Both build paths on these systems will suit my needs and wants for now to game, work, and produce music]

I might give video editing and graphics design a go in the near future, but it is definitely not my main aspect on the PC. Wouldn't the R5 1600 still hold fairly well for this field anyways, or would the R7 benefit much higher due to its multi threading power?

3 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

R7 would be 33% faster in programs that can leverage the extra cores/threads.

Yeah that's a pretty big leap in that field, and NVIDIA claim the GTX 1080ti is 35% stronger than the GTX 1080 (when overclocked), so its really just up to if i want more FPS in games or better performance in other applications basically.

I'm just hesitant for the GTX 1080 since i've seen benchmarks at 1440p where it maintains around 70fps on average for AAA games like The Witcher, whilst in other benchmarks its a lot higher. I just feel it's not very future proof unless if some of those benchmarks are abit shady

Nothing in a PC is future-proof.

If something changes in GPU design, whatever you have in instantly obsolete.  This happened with DX 11 back in the day.  DX 10 had the makings of a GPU apocalypse, but nobody used it.

That is something we couldn't know. We can only speculate and guess by looking at previous generations. But exact performance increase it's a mystery until actual reviews win come out.

As @GoldenLag replied, even it's a funny reply, it's a true one, it depends. In the scenario you laid down you'll have to make a compromise either way. Now you need to sit down and make a list with pros and cons and see where that compromise should be done. Either CPU or GPU.

In my opinion I would say in the CPU department, considering AM4 motherboards will support future Ryzen chips and you should be able to upgrade if needed. And is cheaper to upgrade a CPU than a GPU. I know that the new generation of GPUs will bring higher performance to the table, but that comes with a pretty high price tag. Or, alternatively, if possible, wait a little bit more until you can afford to go full on CPU and GPU. But there will always be something better right around the corner.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz

I know some people might argue the 1800x isn't really going all out, but this is just the scenario

We'd actually tell you that the 1800X is an absolutely horrible purchase. It's a slightly overclocked 1700 for way more money. 

Assuming you're gaming, you only want to put heavy stress on the CPU if you have a high refresh rate monitor. Most modern quad cores will get you 60fps as long as the GPU isn't a bottleneck. A CPU isn't affected by resolution either. It's primarily for physics, and tells the GPU how to draw physics related things (the angle of shadows for example).

And as @KarathKasun said, there's no such thing as future proof. Requirements are constantly changing. I doubt a single GPU in the past 15 years has been able to run new releases at max settings for more than a couple years.

Edit: and let's be honest, no matter what GPU you buy, you're going to break the bank. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

On 3/1/2018 at 7:17 PM, r3loAded said:

In my opinion I would say in the CPU department, considering AM4 motherboards will support future Ryzen chips and you should be able to upgrade if needed. And is cheaper to upgrade a CPU than a GPU.

Yeah honestly I just realized how unrealistic my question was lmao, I was expecting some leaker to hop on the thread and release the specs lol,

also ty i've decided to up my gpu since the next generation like you said will probably be much higher in cost where as cpu is some what affordable compared to gpu. + all the spectre/meltdown proof cpus will be out by the end of this year or q1 next year so it'd be better to look into upgrading the cpu 

On 3/1/2018 at 7:22 PM, JoostinOnline said:

We'd actually tell you that the 1800X is an absolutely horrible purchase. It's a slightly overclocked 1700 for way more money. 

Thanks for the input! I'm gonna opt for the R7 1700 w/ GTX 1080ti instead (if i manage to find a TI for a somewhat decent price aka probably not lol)

On 3/1/2018 at 7:22 PM, JoostinOnline said:

Edit: and let's be honest, no matter what GPU you buy, you're going to break the bank. 

True, no such thing as saving money anymore hahaha esp with all the crypto mining happening

8 hours ago, subrooz said:

True, no such thing as saving money anymore hahaha esp with all the crypto mining happening

See if you can find one used.  GPU's and CPU's almost never go bad, aside from physical damage.  Just make sure he as a computer you can test it with, or bring your own.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440