Will this NAS build work well with FreeNas?

Ripper7620

I've been working on refining my build, and I'm getting some conflicting information as far as how much RAM to go with. The FreeNas website says to go with more, and others say it's not necessary, so I'm hedging my bets, and going with 64gb of RAM. I realise that I probably only need a dual core processor, but again, I'm going with a quad core to be sure it's not a bottleneck. Mainly what I'd like to know, is if the Ethernet adaptor I chose is adequate, or am I cheaping out, or worse yet, is it incompatible altogether? Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide. Here's where I'm at so far: 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Isabella_Shiri/saved/nD2D8d

Here's a backup plan: 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Isabella_Shiri/saved/Dtgf8d

The board already has a gig nic, no need to add one, and the onboard one is probably better

Cpu is way overkill, a dual core is fine. Its not using the cpu for anything.

Why get a xeon and not use ecc, thats the main reason for a xeon.

Ram is overkill. Its being used as the arc or a read cache. More is nice, but really won't make a difference. The 1gb/tb rule is bs. 16gb will be fine here, esp as your only using gig networking.

I

64gb is too much i think, freenas only need 8gb as the minimum requirements, many use it below that and worked, it reside on the memory and need some space as a cache storage, but i see many use 4-6gb no problem.

Ram prices are insane, especially brand new ECC memory, you may just test it with 8 or 16gb first and see if you need all the extra.

Adding extra memory is a simple process.

If you want cheaper ECC build, i suggest you get a DDR3 system with an X79 motherboard (xeon 1230v1/v2).

a 64gb ECC DDR3 is just $150 total.

The perfomance difference is not a big of a deal, it may have bigger power consumption, if that's a problem.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The board already has a gig nic, no need to add one, and the onboard one is probably better

Cpu is way overkill, a dual core is fine. Its not using the cpu for anything.

Why get a xeon and not use ecc, thats the main reason for a xeon.

Ram is overkill. Its being used as the arc or a read cache. More is nice, but really won't make a difference. The 1gb/tb rule is bs. 16gb will be fine here, esp as your only using gig networking.

I

Thank you, I will absolutely use registered ECC, I just forgot to change that. If I can get away with 16gb, no point in wasting money on redicridiculous RAM prices. Thank for mentioningthe board Ethernet is adequate, that's more money I can save, your help is always much appreciated! 

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

64gb is too much i think, freenas only need 8gb as the minimum requirements, many use it below that and worked, it reside on the memory and need some space as a storage, but i see many use 4-6gb no problem.

Ram prices are insane, especially brand new ECC memory, you may just test it with 8 or 16gb first and see if you need all the extra.

Adding extra memory is a simple process.

If you want cheaper ECC build, i suggest you get a DDR3 system with an X79 motherboard (xeon 1230v1/v2).

a 64gb ECC DDR3 is just $150 total.

The perfomance difference is not a big of a deal, it may have bigger power consumption, if that's a problem.

Thank you very much, that is the kind of information I can use. Never even occurred to me to use DDR3,  I figured it was inadequate. I'll absolutely take your suggestions and start out with less RAM and see how it goes. The prices of my builds are pretty much completely out of control. I really need to get the cost down to a sain level. 

Just now, Ripper7620 said:

Thank you, I will absolutely use registered ECC, I just forgot to change that. If I can get away with 16gb, no point in wasting money on redicridiculous RAM prices. Thank for mentioningthe board Ethernet is adequate, that's more money I can save, your help is always much appreciated! 

If you want cheaper ram, id personally get a used lga 2011 board. You get more ram support(128gb fairly cheap for single socket and 256gb for dual).

Id get a16gb in a single stick and look at the arc hit ratio. Im assuming your not running dedup.

Also id use the stock cooler here, its more than enough for this cpu and will still be quiet.

Id also get a board like this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813183013

That way you don't need a gpu, and get impi.

Yes, your setup is massive, it could serve like 50 people at a time.

For home / studio storage it is overkill.

With X79 motherboard you can choose Xeon 26xx chips, they are very cheap and has many cores.

a 2660 v1 only cost $60, it has 8 cores but slower clock at 2ghz.

a 2660 v2 cost $200, but has 10 cores.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If you want cheaper ram, id personally get a used lga 2011 board. You get more ram support(128gb fairly cheap for single socket and 256gb for dual).

Id get a16gb in a single stick and look at the arc hit ratio. Im assuming your not running dedup.

Also id use the stock cooler here, its more than enough for this cpu and will still be quiet.

Id also get a board like this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813183013

That way you don't need a gpu, and get impi.

Thank you very much, I have the board saved to my wish list. 

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

Yes, your setup is massive, it could serve like 50 people at a time.

For home / studio storage it is overkill.

With X79 motherboard you can choose Xeon 26xx chips, they are very cheap and has many cores.

a 2660 v1 only cost $60, it has 8 cores but slower clock at 2ghz.

a 2660 v2 cost $200, but has 10 cores.

Thank you very much, I will check that out. You're correct, my builds are completely out of control. 

Thank you very much, I will check that out. You're correct, my builds are completely out of control. 

what is this nas for? backup? vms? Media? Do you need sync? 

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what is this nas for? backup? vms? Media? Do you need sync? 

To a large degree, it's for backup, but until I learn what is, and is not possible, I can't say definitively what all I will be using it for. I still know very little about what a NAS can do. I will definitely be accessing it remotely from out of town. I'll be sharing it with other people as well. I would like to have partitions for my friendsand family. 

This is cheap and the motherboard is new with NVME support.

But its a unknown chinese brand, $419 for the whole system.

2 X79+2670+48

To a large degree, it's for backup, but until I learn what is, and is not possible, I can't say definitively what all I will be using it for. I still know very little about what a NAS can do. I will definitely be accessing it remotely from out of town. I'll be sharing it with other people as well. 

From this, you don't seem to need very high iops, so you don't need the extra ram, 16gb will be fine and ram is easy to add later.

Cpu is way overkill for this use aswell. Depending on how much you care about power id go 1151 with the supermicro board above or single/dual 2011 if you don't mind the extra power.

But no impi and built in graphics, only 4 dimms, no name brand. Really go with a used supermicro, there about the same price and much better boards.

Also for a nas, 1151 isn't a bad option as there much lower power, and will be cheaper overall, esp as op has no need for the cpu.

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

2 X79+2670+48

Thank you very much, I have it bookmarked. 

From this, you don't seem to need very high iops, so you don't need the extra ram, 16gb will be fine and ram is easy to add later.

Cpu is way overkill for this use aswell. Depending on how much you care about power id go 1151 with the supermicro board above or single/dual 2011 if you don't mind the extra power.

Ok, dual core, and 16gb of RAM it is. 1151 would be my preference. 

But no impi and built in graphics, only 4 dimms, no name brand. Really go with a used supermicro, there about the same price and much better boards.

Also for a nas, 1151 isn't a bad option as there much lower power, and will be cheaper overall, esp as op has no need for the cpu.

Thank you 

Ok, dual core, and 16gb of RAM it is. 1151 would be my preference. 

then id get that supermicro board above, and a single 16gb ecc dimm.  

Id go g4560 here.

Stock cooler is fine.

Wow, i'm surprised that cheap cpu supports ecc.

Yes that's a good deal, but still used ddr4, which is still expensive.

Wow, i'm surprised that cheap cpu supports ecc.

They only disable ecc on i5's and i7's(with a few exceptions) to sell xeons. Since their is no xeon eqv for a pentium or i3, they leave ecc on for low end server and builds needing ecc

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Yes that's a good deal, but still used ddr4, which is still expensive.

But could easily pay for its self in power savings. This system(without drives) on 1151 pulls less than 20w idle. Lga 2011 systems and your around 60-80w idle.

10 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

then id get that supermicro board above, and a single 16gb ecc dimm.  

Id go g4560 here.

Stock cooler is fine.

Awesome, thank you very much 

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

This system(without drives) on 1151 pulls less than 20w idle. Lga 2011 systems and your around 60-80w idle.

Nice info...

25 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can add a custom part so just add the custom link to pcpartpicker.

Ok,thank you