Windows 10 Not Opening Exe Files?

Joe Bennett

So I recently bought a refurb laptop on NewEgg (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834267847), and when it shipped in, I tried to install some benchmark software. So I used the preinstalled browser (Microsoft Edge -tries to not puke-) and tried to download Blender (a 3d software I use professionally, and have some benchmarks for), and the download failed. So, I tried installing chrome, and again, the download failed. So, I hit retry, and it went through. Alright, all is well, it's fine. Well the latest download was labeled .exe1, but I double clicked, and it asked what I wanted to open the file with, internet explorer, or a couple others. Well, none of the above, it was an exe, so I renamed it to .exe and took off the 1, and the problem persisted. This happens with any .exe i install *unless* it's from the windows store, then it installs fine. I assume this is a windows 10 error, since when I first booted the laptop, and had to set up windows, it asked name and password, and after I did, it said it failed, but I could skip that step. I clicked skipped, but once I rebooted, I had to login with that name and password, which supposedly failed earlier. 

Cheers,
Joey

You have the windows 10 education on it, that doesn't allow and programs that are not from the windows store.

If you have a other windows 10 licence use that, other than that there should be a way to upgrade win 10 Education to win 10 pro, but i dont know how to.

2 minutes ago, Almostbauws said:

You have the windows 10 education on it, that doesn't allow and programs that are not from the windows store.

If you have a other windows 10 licence use that, other than that there should be a way to upgrade win 10 Education to win 10 pro, but i dont know how to.

Hahahahahahahhaha, are you serious? Dang, I figured they'd send Windows 10 home... That's some major bull crap right there.

I'm guessing you're on Windows 10 S Mode even though the laptop seems to advertise that they are on Windows 10 Pro. I'd send it back and ask for the money back at that point for false advertising.

Just now, TowerCG said:

Hahahahahahahhaha, are you serious? Dang, I figured they'd send Windows 10 home... That's some major bull crap right there.

Yes it is. Your link doesnt work, can you send a screenshot of the laptop listing?

Just now, Almostbauws said:

Yes it is. Your link doesnt work, can you send a screenshot of the laptop listing?

image.png.5f64017bf78f143c7bee2833b1d5478a.pngYeah, it says it comes with windows 10 pro, but honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't. It also said it came with 8 GB of RAM, but instead I got 12... Hahaha

Thanks for the help though, really appreciate it :D

Just now, TowerCG said:

image.png.5f64017bf78f143c7bee2833b1d5478a.pngYeah, it says it comes with windows 10 pro, but honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't. It also said it came with 8 GB of RAM, but instead I got 12... Hahaha

Thanks for the help though, really appreciate it :D

Hey, try this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4023898/windows-10-s-switching-to-pro

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/13/15789998/microsoft-windows-10-s-upgrade-windows-10-pro-guide

Just now, TowerCG said:

Nope, I checked and it's Windows 10 Pro

Then just reinstall windows, maybe the previous owner screwed up something.

Just now, Almostbauws said:

Then just reinstall windows, maybe the previous owner screwed up something.

Perhaps... Is there a way to do that without buying a new license of windows?

Just now, TowerCG said:

Perhaps... Is there a way to do that without buying a new license of windows?

The windows licence should be tied to the computer, so go to settings, recovery, and reset this pc. If that doesn't work reinstall the windows from an external recovery media. Even if it for some reason doesnt activate, you can still use windows unactivated, it just has a little watermark on the bootom of the screeen.

Almostbauws is completely incorrect. Windows 10 Education is essentially Windows 10 Pro. That is all. Same feature set. No limitations.

Your downloads are supposed to be successful the first time, and the not being able to open .exe suggest that some thing (virus) had fun modifying your registry.

• Re-install Windows 10
  • If you still have download problems, then the wireless card is broken, and you should return the system

Oops, meant to update this last night. I got it working, by doing a reset. The wireless card was fine, and it didn't have a virus, or if it did, Avast didn't pick it up. Thanks for the info guys :D
Thanks @Almostbauws for the solution :D

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Almostbauws is completely incorrect. Windows 10 Education is essentially Windows 10 Pro. That is all. Same feature set. No limitations.

Your downloads are supposed to be successful the first time, and the not being able to open .exe suggest that some thing (virus) had fun modifying your registry.

• Re-install Windows 10
  • If you still have download problems, then the wireless card is broken, and you should return the system

I'm not that familiar with Windows 10 S Mode, but do you think it may have something to do with this? It is specifically made to lock down Windows 10 Pro into Windows Store App only instead of allowing users to run any Exe program. The Verge source on Windows 10 S Mode

It is only going to be more frustrating for customers who see "Windows 10 Pro" being included with the device like the screenshot above that they're buying to find out that it cannot open Exe files and they have to shell out another $50 to unlock it or install Linux.

8 minutes ago, FreeDev said:

I'm not that familiar with Windows 10 S Mode, but do you think it may have something to do with this? It is specifically made to lock down Windows 10 Pro into Windows Store App only instead of allowing users to run any Exe program. The Verge source on Windows 10 S Mode

Nope. Even if S Mode is enabled (Start > Settings > Apps > App & features > Installing App (at the top), set it it to "Allow app from the Store only" (will not affect currently installed apps, but future ones). You'll get the following pop-up which is similar to Windows 10 S which has this option enabled just can't be turned off, when opening executables outside the store:

Untitled.png.0303c2e856e806d922a55aa37e191e0a.png

In his case, it opens a web page... that is not supposed to happen. They are no webpages. The Registry was modified to re-link .exe file extensions to some website (probably a malware/virus driven one)

8 minutes ago, FreeDev said:

It is only going to be more frustrating for customers who see "Windows 10 Pro" being included with the device like the screenshot above that they're buying to find out that it cannot open Exe files and they have to shell out another $50 to unlock it or install Linux.

We don't know any details yet. But essentially, it is basically Windows 10 for free or very low cost. MS probably hope, in the long term, to get its money back from Store purchases. But the reality of things, most of your "average" users won't notice. They have all they need on the Store. Office, Edge (already installed), VLC, Spotify, Pandora, Hulu, Netflix, Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, WhatsApp, Amazon Music (new), Paint.net, and more. Plus they have Windows Defender, and not all the junk pre-installed by OEMs to help drop the price of the OS, and some shitty anti-virus 30-day trial or whatever that slows down the sytem, and continues to do until it is removed, even if the trial expires. Beside Chrome or Firefox, do they miss anything? Probably not.