What are some decent backubackup solutions?

Ripper7620

Since NAS is redundancy, and not backup, I'm going to need to find some backup solutions for all of my music production apps and software. What would be some decent backupsfor 4TB or less of mostly software applications and works in progress? Thank you in advance! 

Well that depends if your only copy of the data is on the NAS or you are using the NAS to backup your PC. I would also sync the NAS to dropbox, google drive, onedrive, backblaze etc.

Back-ing up raw data can be done to the NAS no problem, as long as you back-up the NAS itself to external media (like a 4TB USB harddisk), preferably two, so you minimize the chances of losing data when a back-up drive fails. 

Back-ing up the software as well is a different story. The best course of action would be to image your system regularly and back that image up to the NAS.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

4 hours ago, Ripper7620 said:

Since NAS is redundancy, and not backup, I'm going to need to find some backup solutions for all of my music production apps and software. What would be some decent backupsfor 4TB or less of mostly software applications and works in progress? Thank you in advance! 

What NAS is it?

QNAP (I think also Synology but don’t quote me) offers the ability to go to Azure or AWS storage blobs. Relatively cheap depending on the type of storage you purchase. 

You could for instance connect an external USB drive (8tb for $160 frequently on sale) to your NAS in some fashion, and setup a job to replicate the data. The risk is surge could take both devices out, or a house fire/flood would take both out as well. Hence why remote copies are critical for high value data.

Time, effort and ability to recover data outside of your own solution should dictate how many copies you have.

Personal pictures for instance, take up marginal space but are often irreplaceable and very small chance of recovery (ie maybe friends have a copy). I'd suggest 3 copies if able (local storage, NAS, remote storage). Given the small size and importance, are worth the cost of remote storage.

Movies however take up large amounts of space and are easily recoverable (albeit time consuming) - so storing them remotely wouldn't be worth the cost. NAS space permitting, could be worth it to copy to so if lost you can save yourself time.

9 hours ago, leadeater said:

Well that depends if your only copy of the data is on the NAS or you are using the NAS to backup your PC. I would also sync the NAS to dropbox, google drive, onedrive, backblaze etc.

Thank you 

1 hour ago, Mikensan said:

You could for instance connect an external USB drive (8tb for $160 frequently on sale) to your NAS in some fashion, and setup a job to replicate the data. The risk is surge could take both devices out, or a house fire/flood would take both out as well. Hence why remote copies are critical for high value data.

Time, effort and ability to recover data outside of your own solution should dictate how many copies you have.

Personal pictures for instance, take up marginal space but are often irreplaceable and very small chance of recovery (ie maybe friends have a copy). I'd suggest 3 copies if able (local storage, NAS, remote storage). Given the small size and importance, are worth the cost of remote storage.

Movies however take up large amounts of space and are easily recoverable (albeit time consuming) - so storing them remotely wouldn't be worth the cost. NAS space permitting, could be worth it to copy to so if lost you can save yourself time.

Thank you 

15 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

What NAS is it?

QNAP (I think also Synology but don’t quote me) offers the ability to go to Azure or AWS storage blobs. Relatively cheap depending on the type of storage you purchase. 

Thank you very much for the reply. I'm going to be buildingmy own NAS to be used with FreeNas. The most valuable information I need to back up is music creation software.