Best wifi option?

Taky

I'm currently using an enthernet cable to connect to a wifi entender but that isn't working out so well for gaming since it's been really inconsistent. I also can't connect to the 5g internet on it.

What is the best option? usb wifi, pcie wireless wifi, powerline adapter? Also a very long ethernet cable isn't an option for me

Powerline if you have decent electric in the house. PCIe wifi if not. USB wifi is always hit or miss from what I see.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

10 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Powerline if you have decent electric in the house. PCIe wifi if not. USB wifi is always hit or miss from what I see.

Agreed, although I have had mixed experiences with powerline. I recently recommended it to a friend and his seems to work great but in my apartment it only worked in certain outlets, so your mileage may vary.

36 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

Agreed, although I have had mixed experiences with powerline. I recently recommended it to a friend and his seems to work great but in my apartment it only worked in certain outlets, so your mileage may vary.

is there a way to test this or do i just have to buy it cuz if there's no way to test it i think i would go with a pcie wifi

2 hours ago, Taky said:

I'm currently using an enthernet cable to connect to a wifi entender but that isn't working out so well for gaming since it's been really inconsistent. I also can't connect to the 5g internet on it.

What is the best option? usb wifi, pcie wireless wifi, powerline adapter? Also a very long ethernet cable isn't an option for me

Do you have coax where you computer and your router are? If so look in to Moca

2 hours ago, Taky said:
2 hours ago, cdsboy2000 said:

is there a way to test this or do i just have to buy it cuz if there's no way to test it i think i would go with a pcie wifi

No you gotta just buy them and see if they work. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Do you have coax where you computer and your router are? If so look in to Moca

No you gotta just buy them and see if they work. 

Should have mentioned that :P my ISP offers their own Moca-like service for a few bucks a month so I have two modems+routers on either side of my house (with ethernet of course coming off of each)

50 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

Should have mentioned that :P my ISP offers their own Moca-like service for a few bucks a month so I have two modems+routers on either side of my house (with ethernet of course coming off of each)

ummm. Moca uses the bands above what Cable companies use. There are no way a modem could use the same bands of Moca. It sounds like you have two accounts setup. As some cable providers allow people to provision two modems at the same address. All you got to do is A) Split the main line coming in and run the modem off that spliter, or B) Run two lines from the Tap. One going to each modem.

Moca specifically uses 1 Ghz to 1.5 Ghz to stay outside of what the cable co's currently use. Thas why you can run cable service and moca on the same lines. Now Im not saying your provider doesnt use Moca. Most cable co's do for whole home DVR setups. But there is no way they hooked a modem up to use on the moca bands. You might have a moca adapter with multiple ports, as I have seen them before, or a moca router, but no way is a modem using Moca for internet communication. 

13 hours ago, Donut417 said:

ummm. Moca uses the bands above what Cable companies use. There are no way a modem could use the same bands of Moca. It sounds like you have two accounts setup. As some cable providers allow people to provision two modems at the same address. All you got to do is A) Split the main line coming in and run the modem off that spliter, or B) Run two lines from the Tap. One going to each modem.

Moca specifically uses 1 Ghz to 1.5 Ghz to stay outside of what the cable co's currently use. Thas why you can run cable service and moca on the same lines. Now Im not saying your provider doesnt use Moca. Most cable co's do for whole home DVR setups. But there is no way they hooked a modem up to use on the moca bands. You might have a moca adapter with multiple ports, as I have seen them before, or a moca router, but no way is a modem using Moca for internet communication. 

Perhaps I'm not explaining this very well considering I just let them set it up; here's an article about their specific service "Echo":

http://stopthecap.com/2014/07/22/bright-house-introduces-echo-extended-range-for-your-in-home-wi-fi-using-moca-technology/

1 hour ago, cdsboy2000 said:

Perhaps I'm not explaining this very well considering I just let them set it up; here's an article about their specific service "Echo":

http://stopthecap.com/2014/07/22/bright-house-introduces-echo-extended-range-for-your-in-home-wi-fi-using-moca-technology/

As I suspected its a moca adpater with a built in AP. Kinda cool to see them embrace Moca tech outside of TV boxes.