4k@60hz or 2k@144hz

Sorav

Hi,

I am looking for suggestions on monitor or resolutions that should i go with; I have been using my office mac book pro  2015 as work/daily driver ,and personal use. I like the product for it's stability , performance ,and it's retina display.(I will probably get flak for this :-) ). Hence, looking for a display which can be at least in vicinity of mac book pro in terms of ppi ,and refresh rate 

FYI - I will be  doing away with my mac book  as I am leaving my current org. So, I build a powerful enough  machine which can run multiple VMs, and games @higher or ultra settings

Machine config.

i7 8700k

Aus GTX 1080ti

32GB corsair vengeance.

I am stuck at deciding on the monitor, and will really appreciate inputs from experts in this forum.

Are you looking into competitive gaming or just casual gaming? 

I would recommend to go with the 4k monitor if you're just casually gaming and want things to look as nice as they can be. Otherwise, just get the 2k monitor with 144hz for that silky smooth experience. 

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

Just now, Yoola said:

2k = 1080p.

I am sorry I thought 2k res are 1440p. Please excuse if that's the case . It is 1440p@ 144hz.

I think I misinformed my self.

There isn't much difference between 144hz and 100hz, but a big difference between 60hz and 100hz. Go for a 1440p 100hz display.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

2 minutes ago, Sorav said:

Hi,

I am looking for suggestions on monitor or resolutions that should i go with; I have been using my office mac book pro  2015 as work/daily driver ,and personal use. I like the product for it's stability , performance ,and it's retina display.(I will probably get flak for this :-) ). Hence, looking for a display which can be at least in vicinity of mac book pro in terms of ppi ,and refresh rate 

FYI - I will be  doing away with my mac book  as I am leaving my current org. So, I build a powerful enough  machine which can run multiple VMs, and games @higher or ultra settings

Machine config.

i7 8700k

Aus GTX 1080ti

32GB corsair vengeance.

I am stuck at deciding on the monitor, and will really appreciate inputs from experts in this forum.

I've had both and I can tell you that once you go with high refresh rate gaming, its hard to go back. 4k looks great, but compared to 144hz, 60fps/60hz appears choppy and slow. Furthermore, depending on how physically close you are to the monitor, 1440p and 4k may not look all that different. If you have the opportunity, go to your local electronics store and check out their monitors (or TVs). Compare 60hz to 120hz or 144hz. It's ultimately a personal preference! I hope that helps! :)

Also,

just recently I switched to my DELL S2417DG which is 1440p 165Hz G-SYNC and trust me I'm never coming back to 60Hz.  You should chose monitor based on the games you play. If you're playing any shooter or anything fast paced, 144Hz+ will definitely be a better choice. 

4k is still kinda irrelevant and it probably will stay that way in terms of gaming. It's just a buzzword for PR. 

Just now, CrippledROBOT said:

and check out their monitors (or TVs). Compare 60hz to 120hz or 144hz.

TV's use just doubled framerate, basically showing same image twice in a row. It's not actual refresh rate of the panel. :) 

Just thought you should know this for future ^-^

2 minutes ago, Jasun said:

Are you looking into competitive gaming or just casual gaming? 

I would recommend to go with the 4k monitor if you're just casually gaming and want things to look as nice as they can be. Otherwise, just get the 2k monitor with 144hz for that silky smooth experience. 

Hi Jasun,

Let me explain a bit more about root cause of my confusion.

I went to near by Fry's store to check out monitors ; and looked at

LG 27UD 88 ,and some samsung monitor which was 2k@144hz. I really didn't LG that much; seeing how bad the UI felt on it.

But samsung 2k@144hz was damn good and smooth. I am not sure whether that was the lack of hardware on which LG monitor was running.

6 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

I've had both and I can tell you that once you go with high refresh rate gaming, its hard to go back. 4k looks great, but compared to 144hz, 60fps/60hz appears choppy and slow. Furthermore, depending on how physically close you are to the monitor, 1440p and 4k may not look all that different. If you have the opportunity, go to your local electronics store and check out their monitors (or TVs). Compare 60hz to 120hz or 144hz. It's ultimately a personal preference! I hope that helps! :)

Thank you for your inputs. I am also leaning towards 1440p @144hz. Can you suggest any good monitors ?

8 minutes ago, Yoola said:

Also,

just recently I switched to my DELL S2417DG which is 1440p 165Hz G-SYNC and trust me I'm never coming back to 60Hz.  You should chose monitor based on the games you play. If you're playing any shooter or anything fast paced, 144Hz+ will definitely be a better choice. 

4k is still kinda irrelevant and it probably will stay that way in terms of gaming. It's just a buzzword for PR. 

I have checked some monitors @ local stores, and not that impressed with 4k@60hz. I will surely check out dell  monitor.

Can you suggest anything in 27inch as well ?

What was in my options were:

DELL S2417DG = 24" model with 1440p 165Hz G-SYNC

DELL S2716DG = 27" model with 1440p 144Hz G-SYNC

Didn't even check out any other models as they were pretty further out in my price range. 

1 minute ago, Sorav said:

Hi Jasun,

Let me explain a bit more about root cause of my confusion.

I went to near by Fry's store to check out monitors ; and looked at

LG 27UD 88 ,and some samsung monitor which was 2k@144hz. I really didn't LG that much; seeing how bad the UI felt on it.

But samsung 2k@144hz was damn good and smooth. I am not sure whether that was the lack of hardware on which LG monitor was running.

What do you mean by UI? In the OS or the prebuilt UI in the monitor? (for switching settings, etc) If you were experiencing lag in the OS, it would mean that it was a hardware issue and not a monitor issue. But I would still not recommend that monitor due to its 50/50 reviews. Some say are good while others say that the monitor itself is good but have some very serious issues with it. 

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

36 minutes ago, Yoola said:

TV's use just doubled framerate, basically showing same image twice in a row. It's not actual refresh rate of the panel. :) 

Just thought you should know this for future ^-^

That may be true, however the difference between "60hz" and "120hz" is still visible, but I did not know that! Learn something new every day! :)

29 minutes ago, Sorav said:

I have checked some monitors @ local stores, and not that impressed with 4k@60hz. I will surely check out dell  monitor.

Can you suggest anything in 27inch as well ?

I have an Acer Predator IPS 1440p 144hz G-Sync panel that I ADORE. HIGHLY recommend it!

31 minutes ago, Jasun said:

What do you mean by UI? In the OS or the prebuilt UI in the monitor? (for switching settings, etc) If you were experiencing lag in the OS, it would mean that it was a hardware issue and not a monitor issue. But I would still not recommend that monitor due to its 50/50 reviews. Some say are good while others say that the monitor itself is good but have some very serious issues with it. 

In OS.