Is this normal coil whine?

DeagleMaster

I have noticed some sounds that I think might be coil whine on the motherboard around the cpu area. The sound changes under different loads. Can someone give me some clarification? The sound file down below was recorded with a blue snowball up close to the motherboard.

possible coil whine.m4a

that's probably the power regulators around your CPU area. i have the same sounds in my rig. they arn't dangerous or anything, the only downside is that well, it can be annoying.

if you have any thick thermal pads or something you could try putting those on. that partially fixed it for me.

My new corsair rm750x makes this sound. Is it dangerous? Can it indicate a faulty psu? Can it damage some other components? The sound was recorded with the PSU out of the case with a blue snowball placed right next to the psu.

PSU NOISE.m4a

Looks like you got a response on your other post. Maybe check that. Try not to double post. 

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I've had a similar noise from my EVGA PSU for close to 3 years with no issues, If you are seriously concerned RMA it. But I think you'll be fine. 

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

18 minutes ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

My new corsair rm750x makes this sound. Is it dangerous? Can it indicate a faulty psu? Can it damage some other components? The sound was recorded with the PSU out of the case with a blue snowball placed right next to the psu.

PSU NOISE.m4a

Yes that is normal. I had the RM750 for 2 years before I got a 750P2, and it had the same coil whine. You shouldn't have any issues aside from said above, it being annoying. 

3 hours ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

PSU NOISE.m4a

Dangerous? NOPE! Annoying? YUP! Corsair DOES make great PSUs. In fact, they've been my go-to for PSUs for years. However, as with all manufacturers, some of the internals may not have been glued well enough. This will allow the caps to make an audible buzzing sound. ALSO, there are situations in which the various hardware elements interact in such a way that it creates this whine. I will link you to a post I had made many months ago where I was in contact with both Seasonic AND an employee at Corsair!