What OS should I be using for this use-case?

HunterAP

So I have a server with an i7 and some low-power Nvidia GPU. I already have all the hardware, but I need help deciding on the OS based on what I'm using it for. I'm configuring it for a combination of the following uses:

• Holding on to lots of files, like videos, docs, etc. Also need to be able to stream/transcode the videos over LAN. This may/may not use the Nvidia GPU for acceleration.
  • ffmpeg re-encoding for videos I have for compression purposes (scripted to work overnight, or when I don't need it for something else). This is set up to use the Nvidia GPU for acceleration.
  • Being used as a 2nd PC for streaming/local recording.
  • Possibly used for OpenVPN.

I'm not too concerned with running VM's on it, but if it has the capability then that's nice.

Also I'm not planning on setting up a RAID, so unRAID and the like aren't too useful for me.

Currently I have keys for Windows 2016 Server, Windows 2012 R2 Server, and Windows 10 Pro. From these, and including any free OS like any Linux distro, what's the best one for my use cases?

I would easily recommend that you use Windows 10 Pro. Its alot easier to setup then most Linux OS, and you will run into less problems with applications and such.  

Server 2016 if you know what you are doing or virtualize. Use PFSense and FreeNAS and make another VM for windows.

If you have experience with Linux and want to avoid issues with the system restarting due to updates, there is an argument to be had for Linux.  If you are used to windows and already have 10 pro then I agree with KnightHawk.

4 minutes ago, KnightHawk1401 said:

I would easily recommend that you use Windows 10 Pro. Its alot easier to setup then most Linux OS, and you will run into less problems with applications and such.  

1 minute ago, jgoonatilaka said:

Server 2016 if you know what you are doing or virtualize. Use PFSense and FreeNAS and make another VM for windows.

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

If you have experience with Linux and want to avoid issues with the system restarting due to updates, there is an argument to be had for Linux.  If you are used to windows and already have 10 pro then I agree with KnightHawk.

I have experience in Linux and Windows, so that's not so much of an issue for me. I haven't used any Windows Server versions, so I'm not even sure what features I get with it. I also have no experience with FreeNAS or PFSense, but I do want to try them out. Could I use FreeNAS or PFSense natively, then run the other OS's through that, or would I face any issues?

Just now, HunterAP said:

I have experience in Linux and Windows, so that's not so much of an issue for me. I haven't used any Windows Server versions, so I'm not even sure what features I get with it. I also have no experience with FreeNAS or PFSense, but I do want to try them out. Could I use FreeNAS or PFSense natively, then run the other OS's through that, or would I face any issues?

you might run into GPU issues

2 minutes ago, HunterAP said:

windows server mainly gets you things like AD servers and other microsoft servers included.

Id probably run proxmox and then use vms for everything, but you can also just run centos or debian.

1 minute ago, jgoonatilaka said:

you might run into GPU issues

Gpu's work fin on linux. install the nvidia driver and your can use nvenc for encoding if you want and don't mind the quality.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Gpu's work fin on linux. install the nvidia driver and your can use nvenc for encoding if you want and don't mind the quality.

Yeah but when you virtualize everything is up in the air when it comes to GPU.

Just now, jgoonatilaka said:

Yeah but when you virtualize everything is up in the air when it comes to GPU.

Gpu passthough works fairly well. Or just run the gpu tasks on the host.

Avoid Linux if at all possible. Windows Pro or Windows Server.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

it really comes down to if you wanna go linux of windows and thats really personal preference, neither is "better" than the other despite what people will tell you.

if you go windows, use Server 2016 (with a GUI) dont bother with 2012R2 its getting old and does all the same things

Id put it down to personal preference since you already have all the keys, and most of those features you want are basically even between both OS'. 

I do prefer ffmpeg encoding on Linux because scriptiing for it is easier. You can easily create bash scripts that hook ffmpeg and can be scheduled by cron - which can be a fair bit nicer than Windows scripting and Task Scheduler. If you are new to scripting then Bash is easier to learn than Powershell/Batch, and theres probably more ready made scripts too. But if you're doing it manual then all is pretty equal. 

I would say that GPU Driver support is far better on Windows. 

A big thing is that you may find that your capture hardware for a streaming PC (e.g Elgato) is better supported on Windows. Many capture devices don't have Linux drivers, or are updated very slowly. With that in mind, id probably go with Windows 10. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

As you have linux experience i would go with something you are known with. Sure it all might be alot easier with a normal desktop OS. But considering all you need for software/applications are free on linux you might aswell use it. However i would consider using ESXI or Virtualbox for Windows and just pause the VMs when you need the power elsewhere.