DAP or DAC with phone

IAR117

I can get a Sony DAP, NW A45 which has built in USB DAC functionality. Would this be a better buy than for example a Cyrus Sound key to go with my phone? 

On 2/19/2018 at 11:01 PM, Max_Settings said:

Buy a Fiio Q1 MK2. That a very good DAC/Amp combo to be used with your phone.

How much battery does it drain? I want something like a Cyrus Soundkey that doesn't zap out too much battery. That's why I turned down the Dragonfly Red. And which sounds better? This setup or DAP?

I would go with a dap. I have one. I find it more convenient than a phone plus some stuff. I have an AK 120 II, and I like it. 

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Yeah, sometimes, when I'm in a mood for more serious listening on the go, I'd use my Fiio X3 II + JDS Labs C5 or just my HFM HM901s (with my Senn IE800, or my Fitear Parterre or my CA Jupiter or my Audeze iSine10). Though I have the excellent LG G6 with HiFiQuad DAC (which I use with ChiFi IEMs which I believe are very good), it still cannot compare to a DAP.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

On 21/02/2018 at 11:00 PM, spwath said:

I would go with a dap. I have one. I find it more convenient than a phone plus some stuff. I have an AK 120 II, and I like it. 

I like the look, specs and pricetags of the AK Jr. But does it have the Sony's functionality of being a DAC for a PC when plugged in? That would be quite useful.

On 22/02/2018 at 1:02 AM, GamerDude said:

Yeah, sometimes, when I'm in a mood for more serious listening on the go, I'd use my Fiio X3 II + JDS Labs C5 or just my HFM HM901s (with my Senn IE800, or my Fitear Parterre or my CA Jupiter or my Audeze iSine10). Though I have the excellent LG G6 with HiFiQuad DAC (which I use with ChiFi IEMs which I believe are very good), it still cannot compare to a DAP.

If you think that the jump from an LG high end phone is worth it, then it'll certainly be worth jumping from a midrange Samsung. Thanks

5 hours ago, IAR117 said:

I like the look, specs and pricetags of the AK Jr. But does it have the Sony's functionality of being a DAC for a PC when plugged in? That would be quite useful.

My ak120 II does so I assume the ak Jr does

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I use the Sabaj Da2. Android is wonky with it, but once you get the hang of how it works with Android, it is phenomenal. ESS sabre dac/amp for 70 freedombucks. On Amazon, that is, it is the same unit as the SMSL IDEA. Includes the cables needed to hook it up to anything USB.

Oh, also, it supports the silly "HiRes" and "DSD" junkaroonie, but that's less relevant to serious listening. No need to get a DAP if you can just have one device and a dongle.

I'm only looking into a dap because when playing music on my A5 2017, battery goes quicker than when on a complex 3d app. Otherwise sound is decent-ish. I don't want to spend too much as I don't really feel comfortable bringing high end audio equipment on the train. Anyway there's another one on a website called Richer Sounds(my local audiophile shop.) They have something called a Cowon Plenue D. Any thoughts? My biggest priorities are Apt-X, decent battery life and a good warranty in the UK. One function that isn't necessary but welcomed is usb DAC. Sound is important, bit these things just make my life easier. @NinjaQuick I've heard of that DAC, but I'd rather buy from a local audio shop where it is easier to try out and return if necessary. That's why the Cyrus Soundkey is good. Besides, I've heard drains little to no battery and is compatible with a lot of sources. Any other recommendations?

And @spwath I'll definitely look into the AK Jr, just need to make sure warranty is decent in the UK. The thing looks great ?

I use an Audioengine D3 with an OTG cable.  Pairs nicely with my Etymotic IEMs while out and about.

On 2/23/2018 at 3:40 PM, IAR117 said:

If you think that the jump from an LG high end phone is worth it, then it'll certainly be worth jumping from a midrange Samsung. Thanks

Actually, I know of many who have dumped their DAP's for an LG G6/G6+ or the V20/V30 (Asian models with HiFiQuad DAC) because of the superior audio implementation on these LG's......and also for convenience. No use carrying two separate devices (handphone and DAP) when one would suffice. Also, I'm not sure about the audio on other handphones, but I do have a spare Sony Z5 Premium, and the G6 beats it hands down in terms of clarity and sheer power. I also use my G6 mainly for Spotify, and some FLAC and DSD tracks. 

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2 hours ago, GamerDude said:

Actually, I know of many who have dumped their DAP's for an LG G6/G6+ or the V20/V30 (Asian models with HiFiQuad DAC) because of the superior audio implementation on these LG's......and also for convenience. No use carrying two separate devices (handphone and DAP) when one would suffice. Also, I'm not sure about the audio on other handphones, but I do have a spare Sony Z5 Premium, and the G6 beats it hands down in terms of clarity and sheer power. I also use my G6 mainly for Spotify, and some FLAC and DSD tracks. 

I know my campfire audio Orions are unusable from my LG g4(not good audio yet, that came in g5) due to the high sensitivity. So much static noise and to high volume with not enough fine adjustment.

Unfortunately I can't get a new phone :P I just got this one. I'm leaning toward the DAC idea for convenience factor. My battery is more manageable now, though I still know that a DAP battery would be a lot better. For now I have one question, the Sony advertises itself as having noise cancelling. How does a DAP have anc? Does it have a mic which works in the same way as an anc headphone would but play sound through the headphone? Reason I'm asking is because this feature is also advertised on the model that doesn't come with anc earphones, so I thought it'd give normal headphones anc