ATH-M50's? (URGENT)

Cyrus

So im planning on buying the ATH M50's now that amazon got their sale but i listen to METAL and i was wondering if they're any good for that

kind of music?

DO. IT.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

They're generally good at all music, but slightly favor bass heavy type stuff: http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php?graphID%5B0%5D=2941&graphID%5B1%5D=703&graphID%5B2%5D=&graphID%5B3%5D=&scale=30&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Update+Graph

For rock derivative genres, I personally prefer more treble-friendly headphones, like the AKG K701 (also in the graph above). I know it's probably out of your budget, just giving an example.

So im planning on buying the ATH M50's now that amazon got their sale but i listen to METAL and i was wondering if they're any good for that

kind of music?

I use mine almost solely for metal, they are great for that. Pretty much any music you throw at it. 

Yes

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

M50s are a great all-rounder at that price point. 

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

I have an unpopular opinion, but I don't really like my ATH-M50's, for most people its there first leap into the audiophile world, but my first set of audiophile cans were Grado SR80i's. The ATH-M50's feel way too closed off for me and have a very small and almost nonexistent sound stage compared to the SR80i's. For gaming and movies I'll take off my ATH-M50's and go and find my SR80i's because they have a much more realistic experience. For music I also prefer my SR80i's, it feels like there is no down time or gaps between the notes with closed headphones, its like there is so much missing. Like a broken record I'll state that the sound stage for music just feels so closed off, also the mids are not very defined and can often go completely unnoticed (at least in quite a few songs I regularly listen to). I listen to metal, death metal and gothic metal, 3/3 go in favor of the SR80i's. The ATH-M50's sound better for genres such as electronic and everything else I would simply call 'crap'.

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

snip
Sounds to me more like a preference between closed and open headphones than problem with m50s. That being said I enjoy open headphones generally more than closed too, especially for movies.

Anyway, I haven't listened to ath-m50s myself so whatever.

Sounds to me more like a preference between closed and open headphones than problem with m50s. That being said I enjoy open headphones generally more than closed too, especially for movies. Anyway, I haven't listened to ath-m50s myself so whatever.

I don't really have access to a lot of headphones, I compare what I have, for the dough I would take the Grados 9 times out of 10

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

I practically listen to Metal exclusively, and I love it. However, I listen to more Progressive Metal, so mostly for me, I sit there just amazed at all the detail, and as far as I've heard, awesome separation of instruments. it's not that hard to focus on say, a specific bell. it's also part of why I love them, I am a drummer and it really helps me out, I can hear small details that I had previously not heard. 

I am comparing them to my PC360's, which are basically just HD558's. as for me, I don't really notice all that much of the soundstage and such of the PC360s, I can hear just as well with my M50s, but hey, that's me, I do infact have impaired hearing and a messed up brain :) 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

I practically listen to Metal exclusively, and I love it. However, I listen to more Progressive Metal, so mostly for me, I sit there just amazed at all the detail, and as far as I've heard, awesome separation of instruments. it's not that hard to focus on say, a specific bell. it's also part of why I love them, I am a drummer and it really helps me out, I can hear small details that I had previously not heard. 

I am comparing them to my PC360's, which are basically just HD558's. as for me, I don't really notice all that much of the soundstage and such of the PC360s, I can hear just as well with my M50s, but hey, that's me, I do infact have impaired hearing and a messed up brain :)

Dewd, I just got a pair of Silverados - s'pos to be tuned for rock type stuff and it's freaking amazing so far (got 'em on sale for $60).

Earcup-Hand comparison

Drool.JPG

Dewd, I just got a pair of Silverados - s'pos to be tuned for rock type stuff and it's freaking amazing so far (got 'em on sale for $60).

Drool.JPG

I keep hearing "is this good for metal" and "is this good for rock" but I don't even know what stuff is supposed to "sound like". hey, I got my M50's cause I wanted the flat response (with a little bass extension) so I heard stuff "how it was mixed". 

I keep hearing "is this good for metal" and "is this good for rock" but I don't even know what stuff is supposed to "sound like". hey, I got my M50's cause I wanted the flat response (with a little bass extension) so I heard stuff "how it was mixed". 

I didn't understand what the big deal was with my first few headphones either, but man o man once you get a collection going...

They are great. However the earliest get hard and uncomfortable after a few months so make sure to wipe them after every use

They are great. However the earliest get hard and uncomfortable after a few months so make sure to wipe them after every use

if this is true, I wish I knew this when I got them. Mine are indeed getting a little hard on the pads. 

if this is true, I wish I knew this when I got them. Mine are indeed getting a little hard on the pads.

Ya try to wipe the earpads after every use

awesome headphones, mine broke  :(

Corsair 350d | Asus Maximus VI Gene | Intel Core i7 4770k | Corsair h100i | Reference GTX 780 | Corsair AX760i | WD 1tb green | Samsung 840 pro 256gb

I think I know what time it is.

A399335E.jpg