Which Ryzen 3 CPU is best for the system I plan to build?

Got a gaming laptop from Dell less than a year ago, having some annoyances with it. My transition to PC gaming has been pretty nice. After buying it, I took up quite an interest in computer hardware. I'd like to return it and build my own system. I've decided on pretty much everything except for which Ryzen 3 CPU to use for my $850-ish budget. - Ryzen 3 1200 or Ryzen 3 1300x? Also curious if 2666mhz is a good enough clock speed on my RAM to overclock the 3 1200. Or perhaps the new Ryzen 3 2200g is a better option for processing power alone? Let me know.

Component List

GPU: GTX 1050 TI (I know there's a GPU crisis but this is the card I'd get anyways)

MOBO: MSI B350 Tomahawk

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500gb

PSU: EVGA 450w 80+ Bronze

RAM: 2x4 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666mhz (Is dual channel necessary?)

Case: Rosewill TYRFING

Use: I plan to play some CPU-intensive AAA open world titles, GTA V at Medium - High settings, for example. I also play I have a nicely-sized desk, and I'd like to my have the computer on it, and I don't want it to be really loud. Overclocking is on the table for me, but only with stock cooling. So I'm wondering: should I get the 3 1200 and overclock it to 3.9 - 4.0 ghz? Or would it be better in the long term to get the 3 1300x and overclock it a little bit (3.6ghz) or not at all? And if I did that, would performance/framerate in AAA titles be significantly lower? I'll probably upgrade the CPU in 3 years, and I want it to stay healthy for that amount of time. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

get a 2200g now.

id also get a mx500, cheaper and basically the same performance.

What advantages do the 2200g have over the other two? Other than the IGPU, of course.

1 minute ago, Sir_Salmon said:

What advantages do the 2200g have over the other two? Other than the IGPU, of course.

clocked a bit higher, exact same cpu otherwise.

But id wait a bit if you can there is a new gen comming out in a month or two.

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

Its best to spend a bit more on the cpu then cheap out on the case

I think I've already cheaped out of the case enough, I think. Like I said, it's going to be on my desk. I'd like a nice-looking, but still modest case, no-RGB.

Then buy 1400 on up but the 2400G is great to have. Because you want 4 cores 8 threads!

image.thumb.png.48ca48763c3e41293932c1fdcf2f5baa.png

7 minutes ago, Sir_Salmon said:

Not in my budget.

Its really not worth it otherwise, just hold off and save a bit more money, or put a bit onto your credit card. You really do want 4 cores 8 threads, thats a priority! Dont waste your cash on 4 core 4 thread cpu.

You could save a bit, by buying a 240G SSD and a 500GB 7200rpm

edited

check this build out its $390usd not including the $215 gtx1050ti

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Nb9btg

3 minutes ago, Sir_Salmon said:

Not in my budget.

which country are you in? no way an $850 budget can't fit anything more than a ryzen 3.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, herman mcpootis said:

which country are you in? no way an $850 budget can't fit anything more than a ryzen 3.

USA. The reason for that is that I'm paying about 80 more bucks for the 1050 TI than MSRP because of the crazy prices.

7 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Its really not worth it otherwise, just hold off and save a bit more money, or put a bit onto your credit card. You really do want 4 cores 8 threads, thats a priority! Dont waste your cash on 4 core 4 thread cpu.

You could save a bit, by buying a 240G SSD and a 500GB 7200rpm

Lowering my storage and plopping in a HHD isn't really a compromise I'm willing to make: SSD speeds, even if they're SATA, are a must for me. Plus, I'm making a 60fps machine, and I'm not worried about performance in any game I play, at this point.

USA. The reason for that is that I'm paying about 80 more bucks for the 1050 TI than MSRP because of the crazy prices.

thats why you should go with the 2400G with its igpu

need os/monitor/peripherals?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

6 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

need os/monitor/peripherals?

I have a decent mouse, keyboard, and headset. I do plan to get Windows 10, however.

6 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

thats why you should go with the 2400G with its igpu

I have seen this, but that IGPU just isn't going to get me the performance I want in games. It's certainly not an upgrade from my laptop's GTX 1050 4gb VRAM.

And waiting to see if GPU prices drop is a bit of a gamble.

2 minutes ago, Sir_Salmon said:

I have a decent mouse, keyboard, and headset. I do plan to get Windows 10, however.

get windows 10 from reddit for $25.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($188.90 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($56.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($164.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($134.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card  ($214.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: DIYPC - DIY-BG01 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($36.96 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $832.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-18 21:06 EST-0500

24 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

get windows 10 from reddit for $25.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($188.90 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($56.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($164.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($134.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card  ($214.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: DIYPC - DIY-BG01 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($36.96 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $832.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-18 21:06 EST-0500

I'd rather go through the cleaner process of getting it from the Microsoft website. Sue me, but I have trust in a fresh copy.

25 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

buy directly from nvidia's website then

How? They just link you to a bunch of retailers that sell them for $220 at rough minimum.

2 minutes ago, Sir_Salmon said:

I'd rather go through the cleaner process of getting it from the Microsoft website. Sue me, but I have trust in a fresh copy.

if you want to waste the money, go ahead. just drop to the ram to this and you'll be fine.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XJYWGX/gskill-aegis-8gb-1-x-8gb-ddr4-3000-memory-f4-3000c16s-8gisb

4 minutes ago, Sir_Salmon said:

How? They just link you to a bunch of retailers that sell them for $220 at rough minimum.

I dunno I just repeat what a cpl others posted, I took a look and clicked on buy but it never added to the cart. Keep trying!

Thats what I say, buy the 2400G its like a GT 1030 and play until gpu's are stablize, then dont bother with the 1050ti, just buy a 1060 3GB and your set! You could even look at used gpu's on ebay, craigslist, kijijiji, castanet.

40 minutes ago, Sir_Salmon said:

should I get the 3 1200 and overclock it to 3.9 - 4.0 ghz? Or would it be better in the long term to get the 3 1300x and overclock it a little bit (3.6ghz) or not at all? 

Overclocking a Ryzen CPU to any speed is not guaranteed. 3.9 is already above what most people achieve. I'd personally wait for the newer 2200G and 2400G, but if you really can't wait I'd get a 1300X just because it may achieve a slightly higher clock, or stability

Frostbite (White build PC)

Spoiler

MSI B350M Mortar Arctic - Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz - Corsair H60 - ASUS GTX 1060 3GB DUAL OC @ (2130 MHz Core Clock + 4600 MHz Mem Clock)

2x8GB 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance C16 Corsair 400C White - EVGA 650 GQ

Razer Deathadder Chroma - Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma - Sennheiser HD 598 SR - LG 24MP59G-P

14 minutes ago, katoptrys said:

Overclocking a Ryzen CPU to any speed is not guaranteed. 3.9 is already above what most people achieve. I'd personally wait for the newer 2200G and 2400G, but if you really can't wait I'd get a 1300X just because it may achieve a slightly higher clock, or stability

What do you mean wait? Those are out and out for retail right now.

The 2200G is a legit option, but do you know how it's better than the 3 1200?

ryzen3.PNG

19 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Thats what I say, buy the 2400G its like a GT 1030 and play until gpu's are stablize, then dont bother with the 1050ti, just buy a 1060 3GB and your set! You could even look at used gpu's on ebay, craigslist, kijijiji, castanet.

Buying used is an interesting prospect I hadn't thought of. I'll look into that, thanks. Then maybe I can bump up to Ryzen 5.

14 minutes ago, Sir_Salmon said:

What do you mean wait? Those are out and out for retail right now.

The 2200G is a legit option, but do you know how it's better than the 3 1200?

https://www.techspot.com/review/1574-amd-ryzen-5-2400g-and-ryzen-3-2200g/page2.html

https://www.techspot.com/review/1574-amd-ryzen-5-2400g-and-ryzen-3-2200g/page3.html

performs pretty much within margin of error with a 1300x, which is slightly better than the 1200. you get the iGPU too so that's a plus.