Do I Need a Better CPU?

Go to solution Solved by bimmerman,
5 minutes ago, TVG33K said:

Either way, I just realized, I would have to buy 8gb ddr4. That is really hard to come by for a decent price, and that is more time I need to save up. :|

This seems like a good option, I will try to do some research to see what I can get. Would you say that 3ghz should be the least I can take, or does it not matter as much as just getting the quad core upgrade?

Honestly I don't know. Go for the fastest chip you can afford, fastest quad core if you can. Save a bit more if you need to.

Hello!

I just bought (somehow) a brand-new RX 560D (Rebranded 460) during the past few weeks. This is good, and it is definitely better than what I was playing on before, but I have an issue. I, being pretty new with building PCs, thought that my computer was having a hard time because of my graphics card, but I think I was wrong, although the graphics definitely where terrible.

I have been living the past five months gaming with my dads old GTX 460, and a motherboard and stuff I got for an amazing deal. The GTX 460 was freaking slow, and definitely needed an upgrade. The processor I was using came with my motherboard and RAM. I got my motherboard, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, and a Pentium E5300, for only $25.00 USD. 

Online, I saw that the RX 560D (RX 460) could game in most games with outstanding performance, and it was perfect for me, so I bought it. The performance is better, but definitely not tip-top, and I think it is the CPU. Dual core, 2.6ghz, it is not so beastly.

The question I am asking here is, would it be better to keep what I have, or with the little bit of money I have (about $20.00) try to get a Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4ghz? I tried to get a 3ghz Xeon to mod to LGA775, but it did not work. I just need to know my best option, and I am still new at this.

You are going to want to get a different CPU, because it will bottleneck the 560D.

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

2 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

You are going to want to get a different CPU, because it will bottleneck the 560D.

Is the Q6600 a better option, or no?

Q6600 wow that feels like an ancient relic of a processor =-D Core 2 Duo Quad Core pre-Hyperthreading iirc, I have that processor in the Computer I bought in 2007.

Just now, TVG33K said:

No, you need a new current-gen processor, maybe a Ryzen 3 1200. 

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Just now, thegreengamers said:

No, you need a new current-gen processor, maybe a Ryzen 3 1200. 

I will have to change my motherboard. I might as well just stay with my current setup, I only have like, $20.00. I am a sad excuse of a gamer :'(

7 minutes ago, TVG33K said:

the q6600 will be fine as long as you don't plan to play pubg or any other monkey coded game (looking at you ubisoft)

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Just now, SquintyG33Rs said:

the q6600 will be fine as long as you don't plan to play pubg or any other monkey coded game (looking at you ubisoft)

Should I be able to play Fortnite or Subnautica on medium/high settings?

I would say if you can afford it, you really need to upgrade, Intel isn't really the best option right now imo, coming from a former Intel user for the last 15 years. Ryzen with a good Mobo preferably 370x Chipset or better idk what the current best is but I'm using a Taichi Mobo.

Sadly many of the mainstream games still take CPU into account for performance. Q6600 might work if you can find a non jenk way to cool it with something like a Noctua and Overclock it to the max.

I am only 13. Maybe I should try a cheaper processor, and if it is not good, then I will get a Ryzen 5 1600. Which, of course, I will have to save for. 

3 minutes ago, TVG33K said:

Should I be able to play Fortnite or Subnautica on medium/high settings?

yeah fortnight should run pretty good. i have no experience with subnautica so i can't say anything about it.

like all the others say upgrading would be a nice boost for you but sometimes it's also fine to stay with what you have. we're not all rolling in cash

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

11 minutes ago, Odur32 said:

I would say if you can afford it, you really need to upgrade, Intel isn't really the best option right now imo, coming from a former Intel user for the last 15 years. Ryzen with a good Mobo preferably 370x Chipset or better idk what the current best is but I'm using a Taichi Mobo.

For a tighter budget, B350 is the way to go. There isn't too much benefit from X370 from what I can tell.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Given your budget is ~$20.....I'd say either live with what you have (free!) and save for a while for something newer, or if performance is that bad, try the C2Q. I would make sure that the C2Q will fit on your motherboard socket AND that the motherboard chipset will support the CPU. Back in the day sockets were not changed as often as chipsets, so physical compatibility doesn't guarantee electrical compatibility.

As for how to check that, see what CPUs HP supports in that motherboard, and try to buy the best one you can find.

1 minute ago, bimmerman said:

Given your budget is ~$20.....I'd say either live with what you have (free!) and save for a while for something newer, or if performance is that bad, try the C2Q. I would make sure that the C2Q will fit on your motherboard socket AND that the motherboard chipset will support the CPU. Back in the day sockets were not changed as often as chipsets, so physical compatibility doesn't guarantee electrical compatibility.

As for how to check that, see what CPUs HP supports in that motherboard, and try to buy the best one you can find.

he linked mobo support page core 2 quad yorkfield is supported

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

For a tighter budget, B350 is the way to go. There isn't too much benefit from X370 from what I can tell.

Either way, I just realized, I would have to buy 8gb ddr4. That is really hard to come by for a decent price, and that is more time I need to save up. :|

3 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

This seems like a good option, I will try to do some research to see what I can get. Would you say that 3ghz should be the least I can take, or does it not matter as much as just getting the quad core upgrade?

5 minutes ago, TVG33K said:

Honestly I don't know. Go for the fastest chip you can afford, fastest quad core if you can. Save a bit more if you need to.