decrypt

721f9d6c1b4540bddc0bf771da
Go to solution Solved by 721f9d6c1b4540bddc0bf771da,

thanks everyone

Hi. Need some help decrypting some MD5. My friend emailed it to me and my mac is not up to it. The code is 721f9d6c1b4540bddc0bf771da. (Like my username)

md5 is a one way hash. you can't easily go back. Also there are millions of combinations that will make this hash. The only way to get them is to brute force and that will take a very long time(decades)

Just now, 721f9d6c1b4540bddc0bf771da said:

Thanks. I hoped that someone has a better computer than my iMac that was made in early 2009. Is there a Program that can decrypt this?

What is this a md5 of? A file? A password? A sentence?

by better computer I mean a supercomputer would take decades, so no.

5 minutes ago, 721f9d6c1b4540bddc0bf771da said:

I think that it contains a few paragraphs of text

Then there is nothing you can do. It will be almost impossible to do this. 

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Then there is nothing you can do. It will be almost impossible to do this. 

Brilliant. Also no online decoders have it on their database

Just now, 721f9d6c1b4540bddc0bf771da said:

Brilliant. Also no online decoders have it on their database

Thats kinda the point of encryption, you can't just get the file back. Is there no other way to get the file back?

24 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Thats kinda the point of encryption, you can't just get the file back. Is there no other way to get the file back?

Hashing is not encryption.

47 minutes ago, 721f9d6c1b4540bddc0bf771da said:

Hi. Need some help decrypting some MD5. My friend emailed it to me and my mac is not up to it. The code is 721f9d6c1b4540bddc0bf771da. (Like my username)

Any idea if the hash is salted?

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

No one can decrypt it except God. He knows everything. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

4 hours ago, 721f9d6c1b4540bddc0bf771da said:

FYI, as I'm sure you can tell, this is a very computationally intensive process, and one that can take a long time.  Not trying to be mean by saying this, but you're very unlikely to find someone willing to dedicate their computer's resources to this (at least not without paying them).

If you're really dedicated this, and if you haven't already done so,  I would recommend googling "cracking md5 passwords". 

In addition, as mentioned, hashing is not encryption.  With encryption you could brute force and theoretically get back the original with enough effort.  With a hash, there are many (perhaps infinitely many) sources that would result in the same hash so not only do you need to find one (very hard) but you may need to find several and then know which one is the one you want.  It's basically impossible.

4 hours ago, 721f9d6c1b4540bddc0bf771da said:

I think that it contains a few paragraphs of text

So no, it doesn't "contain" anything.  Think about it, if you could hash literally anything and then undo it somehow, you would have created the best compression algorithm ever, but it's physically impossible.  It's the very definition of "lossy".

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Think about it, if you could hash literally anything and then undo it somehow, you would have created the best compression algorithm ever, but it's physically impossible.  It's the very definition of "lossy".

Theoretically Pi, e, and other irrational numbers fit this bill. If you can find where your pattern of bits lay. :B

50 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Okay, found something else. 72 1f 9d 6c 1b 45 40 bd dc 0b f7 71 da is not a valid MD5 hash. MD5 hashes have a 128-bit digest size. OP's hash is less than that.

b201ad0a9c5be785fffc49c2f111e654 might be the right one? I think i Copy pasted this way to much and got a wrong one

i have a pretty large notepad file full of md5 that has got to be decrypted.

2 minutes ago, 721f9d6c1b4540bddc0bf771da said:

b201ad0a9c5be785fffc49c2f111e654 might be the right one?

It's a valid hash and none of the online MD5 reverse lookup sites are hitting anything. However, the principle still stands: strictly speaking you can't reverse a hash unless you already know what the original content was, because the hash could've been anything.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

It's a valid hash and none of the online MD5 reverse lookup sites are hitting anything. However, the principle still stands: strictly speaking you can't reverse a hash unless you already know what the original content was, because the hash could've been anything.

Thats fine. It is just that i have got a truckload of MD5, so what shall I do it. My iMac straight outta 2009 is probably not up to the job

6 minutes ago, 721f9d6c1b4540bddc0bf771da said:

Thats fine. It is just that i have got a truckload of MD5, so what shall I do it. My iMac straight outta 2009 is probably not up to the job

If an MD5 reverse lookup doesn't have it, you probably should give up on it if the only thing you know about it is the hash.

And if an MD5 reverse lookup has it, you should be worried depending on what you were using that hash for.

Edited by M.Yurizaki

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

If an MD5 reverse lookup doesn't have it, you probably should give up on it unless the only thing you know about it is the hash.

And if an MD5 reverse lookup has it, you should be worried depending on what you were using that hash for.

Ok, out of the hundreds, I know, like 2

Could we get a bit more context about this?  Why do you have these, where did they come from, why do you need to "decrypt" them?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.