Switching From An NVIDIA To AMD GPU Experiences

Geekazoid

Hey guys,

As the title of this topic indicates, are there any of you that have switched from an NVIDIA GPU to an AMD GPU? If so, do you like the switch or regretted it?

The reason I'm asking is that for my build that I'm planning next year I may go with a AMD GPU for budget reasons, but if I do I don't want to then regret it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

In the old days I deeply regretted it but that was like 7 years ago but I can't really comment for now

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I did the opposite xD

PC Specs:

CPU: i5 4670K  4.5 GHz  | CPU COOLER: H80i | GPU:EVGA GTX 780Ti  |  Motherboard: MSI Z87I   |  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy  |  RAM: 8GB Avexir Venom  |  HDD: Seagate 1TB , 60GB Agility 3  Monitor: 32" HD TV (LOL)   PSU: Corsair 750W

I've been using my brother's 7850 for a few days, and it is quite hard for me. I really do prefer the "premium experience" that nvidia provides, and the seamless drivers. So far I have noticed longer boot times, strange artifacts in certain situations, and the drivers/software is a mess with the AMD card. I cannot wait to get my 465 back in a few days.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

I did the opposite xD

What was your reason, if I may ask?

What was your reason, if I may ask?

I just preferred what Nvidia had to offer over the AMD cards as they always seem to be on top of every benchmark as-well as having the Ge-Force experience with shadow play. :D I also plan on getting a shield when it comes to the UK as-well as a g sync monitor :D

And also the metal shroud on the reference cards OMFG they look sooooooooo good, I came from a 6870 and a 6950 btw

Edited by TEDWARDS

PC Specs:

CPU: i5 4670K  4.5 GHz  | CPU COOLER: H80i | GPU:EVGA GTX 780Ti  |  Motherboard: MSI Z87I   |  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy  |  RAM: 8GB Avexir Venom  |  HDD: Seagate 1TB , 60GB Agility 3  Monitor: 32" HD TV (LOL)   PSU: Corsair 750W

I went red back when my 8800GT could no longer push BF3 to my satisfaction. Never had a bad experience with them on a 4890 and now my mini 7950. Never have driver issues, dont use things like geforce experience as I set all my settings by hand regardless etc and I dont miss PhysX as I just run that off the CPU.

I just preferred what Nvidia had to offer over the AMD cards as they always seem to be on top of every benchmark as-well as having the Ge-Force experience with shadow play. :D I also plan on getting a shield when it comes to the UK as-well as a g sync monitor :D

And also the metal shroud on the reference cards OMFG they look sooooooooo good, I came from a 6870 and a 6950 btw

Ah, okay. So you just prefer NVIDIA as a whole then?

Ah, okay. So you just prefer NVIDIA as a whole then?

Yeah, I wont rule amd out though. Its just they don't really have anything appealing right now :(

PC Specs:

going from a 550ti to an r9 290 soon, not the best example because the 290 is going to blow my nvidia experience out of the water

is a great topic (i will not intervene in the discussion because i am a super AMD fan lol)  :lol:

still, what cards do you have in mind from both teams ?

Yeah, I wont rule amd out though. Its just they don't really have anything appealing right now :(

I will agree with you there. AMD cards just don't look as good as NVIDIA ones. I guess the thing that is kind of making AMD cards not so appealing is:

One) There designs.

Two) The fact that most AMD cards incorporate AMD's colour theme of red which, if you have a particular themed case that red would look completely out of place, is something that I personally don't like and you don't see a lot of NVIDIA cards with NVIDIA's green theme or you could say signature colour. The only company that doesn't incorporate AMD's red theme is Gigabyte. So in most cases if you want to go with an AMD GPU that is just plane black with no other colours on it, or AMD's colour theme, you have to go with Gigabyte (which aren't bad BTW).

In general AMD card brands need to take some ideas from NVIDIA card company's and make their cards look way better.

is a great topic (i will not intervene in the discussion because i am a super AMD fan lol)  :lol:

Hmm...it is nice for a change not having a huge AMD fan come an bag out the competition, good on ya! :)

after the amd price increases, you may be better off sticking with nvidia :9

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

So the general consensus thus far is to stick with NVIDIA.

This is what I figured but wanted to have an open mind about AMD GPUs.

Forgot to answer this, I assume this was directed at me, yes?

I haven't really had problems with AMD cards. Prepare for very low power consumption at idle meaning you can ramp fans down or turn them off altogether when not gaming and very smooth overclocking that's not uncommon to just let you drag the sliders to the end and let it rip. 

There are less full features like Geforce Experience or PhysX but AMD does with what they have well. I'm looking forward to their Predator - Experience which is basically their version of Shadowplay and such. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Forgot to answer this, I assume this was directed at me, yes?

sure  :)

sure :)

I recently had selected the GTX 760 by EVGA but due to the fact that I initially wanted to keep my build between AU$1,400 - 1,500 instead of what it was at AU$1,700 - AU$1,800 I decide that I would stick with the EVGA 660 SC or go for the XFX or Gigabyte R9 270X (because they're the best looking, silly I know).

I seem to be in the minority of users then who dont need things like Geforce Experience (I know what settings I want) and Shadowplay (I dont stream nor post to youtube funny clips), as these seem to be things nVidia users consistently bring up as things they want.

I might be completely honest here and say that the reason I have stuck with NVIDIA GPUs so far is because programs like Sony Vegas Pro designed they're software around NVIDIA GPUs first and also I find NVIDIA's control panel much easier to navigate than AMD's even the AMD's control panel may have more settings and features.

Performance/Price. thats huge difference. depending on your price range you will have different advantages both ways depending on how much your willing to spend. AMD is still top scoring card like it has been top dog for past 3-4 generations. HD5970 vs 480GTX, HD 6990 vs 590 gtx 7990 vs anything from nvidia. hit and miss for support tho. If you dont see this coming. AMD is getting allot of support with newer games. so that advantage nvidia was getting wont be there much longer. but i agree with that G-sync that is an amazing option. 

but in the real world i see someone doing 3rd party drivers and support for all cards to do that. so im not too overly attached saying i would have to replace monitors and then in a few years be upset when 4k monitors are reasonable. when i have a perfectly good monitor now. to my knowledge nvidia doesnt have one thing it can offer you without you spending more and more and more money? so hows that an advantage? to me nvidia is nothing but a disadvantage.

It depends on what you are doing with your card. Nvidia sucks at open cl right now.