Switching From An NVIDIA To AMD GPU Experiences

Geekazoid

Switched, never regretted.

Personally i don't use idiot-proof software like GeForce Experience and i tune everything manually to suit my own wants rather than 'the community standard' so down to the root of it all i need is Performance for the money and AMD had just that. [Not at the moment due to mining...]   Drivers are flawless and i have no complaints as well. [People complaining don't know how to do a clean wipe before reinstallation and/or update their drivers, causing visual artifacts, performance loss or to extreme extents, botching the card.]

As for Shadowplay, i can see it being highly convenient but being a user of DxTory with Lagarith Lossless Codec & Handbrake (All free) the priority for such a program is probably at the bottom for me so it in no way alters my decision when buying a GPU.

Picked up a Sapphire Vapor-X to suit my colour scheme.

I've been using my brother's 7850 for a few days, and it is quite hard for me. I really do prefer the "premium experience" that nvidia provides, and the seamless drivers. So far I have noticed longer boot times, strange artifacts in certain situations, and the drivers/software is a mess with the AMD card. I cannot wait to get my 465 back in a few days.

Pardon me for asking. but how the f*ck does a GPU cause 'longer' boot times? Did you swap the card into your system [You probably failed to wipe the Nvidia drivers clean, and install the latest AMD WHQL certified drivers] or use it on your brother's rig? If it is the latter then it's probably just your brother's computer using Win7/HDD as opposed to Win8 and/or SSD.

If your thinking about a 280x i think that is a great card i love my 7970 that i moved into my spare pc that i use at my parents house i visit their alot now and have to stay over a few days a week so its still serving my greatly as a gaming card the 280x and 7970 are the same card basically and drivers are very mature for that card and it should work for you flawlessly. 

i switched to a 290x Now this card has some decent raw horsepower but sofar their has only been really 1 driver release for it and alot of immature overclocking software and a few other issues so far mostly just from the immature drivers and software for this card currently I have a feeling AMD is going to be forced to release a Bios updater for this card to fix alot of the issues were seeing such as black screens ect and much more mature drivers and tools.  

I feel the Gtx 780 is more mature of the two in the 400-500$ price ranges and at this time for the non techie type i have to go and recommend the GTX 780. 

If i was currently in position to tell a friend 290 or 780GTX I would probably tell him GTX 780 because i know he would not have any big issues. 

Asrock X670E Steel Legend - AMD 7600X(5.5Ghz) -  XFX Speedster-Zero EKWB Edition 6900XTXH 

-32GB Kingston Fury Beast 6000mhz DDR5 - WB Black 1 & 2 TB NVME -EVGA 1300W G2

Full loop 2x480mm XSPC RX Rads / Thermaltake Pacific W8 Block

OP I have to ask ....

Will you miss the physX?

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S