Dead CPU

Go to solution Solved by TheRandomness,

1.9V does not instantly kill the CPU, but have fun with that degradation. Also, 5GHz is basically impossible on Haswell/Devil's Canyon unless you have a god tier chip or the center-of-the-wafer bin. In theory, you should take your CPU out, take out the BIOS battery and leave it out a while. Then put it back in after about 5-10 minutes or so, reinstall the CPU and try again.

Basically I was trying to get above 5GHz on my i5 4690k and I accidentally miss typed and put in 1.9v.... pc won't boot system still "turns on" fans wirrrr etc but doesn't post I'm definitely thinking dead CPU but I've cleared cmos and well nothing still should I give up hope ? And if so do you think this would be a good time to upgrade platforms or just move to an i7?

2 minutes ago, CBanksy said:

And if so do you think this would be a good time to upgrade platforms or just move to an i7?

I'd say stick to older platforms that don't cost alot seeing as you'll end up just blowing up whatever it is you buy if you thought 5 ghz on your last machine was a good idea.

So I'd say your next platform should be pentium 4 based. should save you some money 

1.9V does not instantly kill the CPU, but have fun with that degradation. Also, 5GHz is basically impossible on Haswell/Devil's Canyon unless you have a god tier chip or the center-of-the-wafer bin. In theory, you should take your CPU out, take out the BIOS battery and leave it out a while. Then put it back in after about 5-10 minutes or so, reinstall the CPU and try again.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1.9V? That's insane. The only way to test if it's actually broken is to try it on another board. Other than that, clear the CMOS again wait a bit and see if that helps at all.

Ryzen 7 2700X  ASUS X470 PRO  16GB 2400Mhz Crucial Ballistix SAPPHIRE RX 580  970 EVO  Dark Rock PRO 4  Dark Base PRO 900

It is very likely that you killed the cpu if its not posting even after clearing cmos. Whether you should upgrade or not is soley based on what you use the computer for. If its just gaming I would say either get another 4690k or get a i7-4790k unless you are going for like 200+ frames with a 1080ti. However if you use it for any more professional tasks like 3d modeling, video editing or anything else then I would consider upgrading platforms. Just replacing the cpu would be a lot cheaper. Also trying to get above 5ghz on a 4690k is kind of insane didnt most only overclock to like 4.7ghz under water or air.

System Specs

CPU: I7-5820k   MOBO:Asus X99 strix   RAM: 32gb corsair Dominator Platinum 2666mhz   GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980TI  PSU: Corsair RM1000i 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mg7k2R

5 minutes ago, BryceJonathan said:

most only overclock to like 4.7ghz under water or air.

I've seen 4.8 on water.

If resetting CMOS didn't help, then it's very likely you have fried your CPU.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

34 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

I actually do not know who you are or where you came from but you are actually a godsend I do not know how that worked but it seems to have done the trick booted first time took about 5x as long but man thank you so much