Connector Help!!! Old PC

Hi everyone! I have an insanely old motherboard (dating back to early 1990s), and am trying to restore it for fun. On the motherboard, there are these ports (see picture) that go to things like HDD LED, and things like that. I have no clue what port goes to what connector, and need help figuring it out. Thanks!

F8CEBF7F-44F9-4024-9C0F-302DA4769A77.jpeg

Do you mean the things the yellow things connect to?

Those are jumpers, they basically act like a switch depending on where the yellow things go.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

8 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

Do you mean the things the yellow things connect to?

Those are jumpers, they basically act like a switch depending on where the yellow things go.

No, I know that. I need those gold prongs at the very bottom of the motherboard.

Just test it out with a screwdriver.

Short any couple of the pins to make it boot.

do it from the bottom right corner then move a couple to the left until your pc boots up.

Image result for motherboard pins

This is the example from modern motherboard, the power on is the fourth and fifth from the bottom right (black colored).

Touch that with a screwdriver and it will turn on.

Long touch (1-2 seconds) and it will turn off (simulate long press of power button).

If you found the power on pins, next is reset pins, usually its the upper side of the power on pins.

the rest is pwr-led (indicate system on), hdd-led and speakers.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

17 minutes ago, Zmax said:

Do you have a brand name, or model number. Maybe some owner manual exist somewere

This is what I have.

image.jpg

wow an 686 system, socket 7 i suppose.

still have that system with an amd k6 inside in my backyard.

i doubt there's an online manuals for that.

everything still printed back then.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

4 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

wow an 686 system, socket 7 i suppose.

still have that system with an amd k6 inside in my backyard.

i doubt there's an online manuals for that.

everything still printed back then.

Yup. Found layin in an old garage of one of my friends. Thought I could try fixin the old thing up. :)

Ooooo socket 7 6x86 system with a via 82c chipset! :) I likey!!

Interesting to me that it has agp, pci, and ISA ports o.O Hmm on second thought that is Pentium 133 era so pretty nice :) 

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

2 minutes ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

Ooooo socket 7 6x86 system with a via 82c chipset! :) I likey!!

Interesting to me that it has agp, pci, and ISA ports o.O Hmm on second thought that is Pentium 133 era so pretty nice :) 

You think you could help me fix the rest of it up? And find things like the system connectors. It has a turbo button and connectors if that helps in anyway.

8 minutes ago, Swaggin Dragon said:

You think you could help me fix the rest of it up? And find things like the system connectors. It has a turbo button and connectors if that helps in anyway.

Hmm not me :P @Dabombinable You got any info?

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

11 minutes ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

Hmm not me :P @Dabombinable You got any info?

Dunno. He hasn't said what model or brand it is. So glad that my 386's motherboard was clearly labelled.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

21 minutes ago, Swaggin Dragon said:

just follow my instructions, you can't go wrong with that only sorting a couple of pins.

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

Just test it out with a screwdriver.

Short any couple of the pins to make it boot.

do it from the bottom right corner then move a couple to the left until your pc boots up.

This is the example from modern motherboard, the power on is the fourth and fifth from the bottom right (black colored).

Touch that with a screwdriver and it will turn on.

Long touch (1-2 seconds) and it will turn off (simulate long press of power button).

If you found the power on pins, next is reset pins, usually its the upper side of the power on pins.

the rest is pwr-led (indicate system on), hdd-led and speakers.

@Swaggin Dragon

Don't short any pins!!!!!!!!!!

Its an AT motherboard and the PSU has to be turned on via a mechanical switch. Just try the pins out vertically first, then horizontally with the case LED.

PMSL

8 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

@Swaggin Dragon

Don't short any pins!!!!!!!!!!

Its an AT motherboard and the PSU has to be turned on via a mechanical switch. Just try the pins out vertically first, then horizontally with the case LED.

The problem is, last time I tried that, I ended up melting two wires. Is there anyway I could figure out what brand it is from what I currently have. If not, I have a new power supply coming in Tuesday. @Dabombinable @SupaKomputa

8 minutes ago, Swaggin Dragon said:

The problem is, last time I tried that, I ended up melting two wires. Is there anyway I could figure out what brand it is from what I currently have. If not, I have a new power supply coming in Tuesday. @Dabombinable @SupaKomputa

Is it a modern PSU, or an AT one? If not then you'll also need an adapter. Are there any strings of numbers/letters? Or an FCC ID?

PMSL

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Is it a modern PSU, or an AT one? If not then you'll also need an adapter. Are there any strings of numbers/letters? Or an FCC ID?

Here’s a link to the PSU I bought:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F352270248807

Where would be anything that I am looking for?

16 minutes ago, Swaggin Dragon said:

Here’s a link to the PSU I bought:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F352270248807

Where would be anything that I am looking for?

With all the motherboards that I've worked on, normally some where between the slots, or around the edges. Also, bit of a derp moment-I finally got the image to load full size and saw the ATX connector, and the PSU you ordered is definitely fine (my AT PSU with its replaced fuse is only around 100W, with my old ATX ones being a repaired 120W and 145W). BTW the motherboard is newer than you'd think-its from late 1998-1999. Just like my Gigabyte GA-5AA (which still has a page on Gigabyte's website like even their new motherboards)

http://redhill.net.au/b/b-98.html
http://redhill.net.au/b/b-99.html

PMSL

15 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

With all the motherboards that I've worked on, normally some where between the slots, or around the edges. Also, bit of a derp moment-I finally got the image to load full size and saw the ATX connector, and the PSU you ordered is definitely fine (my AT PSU with its replaced fuse is only around 100W, with my old ATX ones being a repaired 120W and 145W). BTW the motherboard is newer than you'd think-its from late 1998-1999. Just like my Gigabyte GA-5AA (which still has a page on Gigabyte's website like even their new motherboards)

http://redhill.net.au/b/b-98.html
http://redhill.net.au/b/b-99.html

The original power supply is still with it, the only reason for not using it being that the wires have melted. Do you think any helpful information might be included on there?

3 minutes ago, Swaggin Dragon said:

The original power supply is still with it, the only reason for not using it being that the wires have melted. Do you think any helpful information might be included on there?

@Dabombinable I also have the original graphics card, which is an Virge/gx s3.

5 minutes ago, Swaggin Dragon said:

Long story short, throw out the PSU as the wires shorted out and its no longer safe to use. And probably not.

Just now, Swaggin Dragon said:

@Dabombinable I also have the original graphics card, which is an Virge/gx s3.

That should still work-my S3 Virge/DX still does after all these years (though being a Diamond card the VGA connector became faulty and only displays red, white and black). It will work as a display card for any motherboard that has PCI BTW (even the odd LGA1150 motherboard with PCI).

PMSL

26 minutes ago, ProximaOfZeal said:

*DERP* never mind xD

Maybe there's a diagram on the other side of the board?

There won't be. Even the most esoteric of my old motherboards didn't have one (or labels) on the back. Lets just say that I'm glad I was using the LED cables from my dead 286, which simply allow you to plug a replacement LED in.

PMSL

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

There won't be. Even the most esoteric of my old motherboards didn't have one (or labels) on the back. Lets just say that I'm glad I was using the LED cables from my dead 286, which simply allow you to plug a replacement LED in.

The other problem is that there are so many wires, like the LCD, Speaker, Turbo Button, Etc.

5 hours ago, Swaggin Dragon said:

The other problem is that there are so many wires, like the LCD, Speaker, Turbo Button, Etc.

That's the fun with old computers. You have to do more to set them up in most cases. Try plugging the LED in horizontally along the bottom row, then along the top with the positive side to the right.

PMSL