GPU accelerated video compression programs/tools help?

So I have 829GB of video files, it all comes to a total of around 80somthing hours, and I need to keep all of them. The only problem is, my 2tb hard drive is almost full, I don't have the money for a new one and CPU encoding, well let's just say it takes forever. I have a GTX 1070 in my system and my dad said to me, why not use GPU acceleration for it all. But I just can't find the programs/tools I would need. I am dyslexic so I find it hard to read and it hurts to read for more than 20 mins at a time so I have been finding it hard to find any tools/software to take advantage of my GPU for compressing my video files. Any help?

CN0m58U.png

TL:DR: I need a program to compress videos that uses GPU because CPU takes to long.

Handbrake can use NVENC I believe?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

What format and bitrate are these videos?

Compression using the gpu normally uses nvenc, the hardware encoder on the gpu. The problem is nvenc has a very low quality. and cpu encoding looks better.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What format and bitrate are these videos?

Compression using the gpu normally uses nvenc, the hardware encoder on the gpu. The problem is nvenc has a very low quality. and cpu encoding looks better.

I record stuff with my Elgato HD 60 so I have no clue what bitrate it uses etc, here is the info for a 12.1GB file AsS1Emu.png

4 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Handbrake can use NVENC I believe?

I do not see the option and can not find where to enable it in the preferences, I used to use quick sync on my laptop which had ofc an Intel CPU, I am using a Ryzen 7 1700 in my desktop.

5 minutes ago, scooterandy11 said:

I record stuff with my Elgato HD 60 so I have no clue what bitrate it uses etc, here is the info for a 12.1GB file AsS1Emu.png

Do you have vlc? go under vlc and look under codec info. I think its control + i.

THe probablem of using quicksync or nvenc is quality is much worse. If you want to save space you need to use cpu without lower the quality greatly. Do you have that r7 1700? that will be better than any gpu here.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you have vlc? go under vlc and look under codec info. I think its control + i.

THe probablem of using quicksync or nvenc is quality is much worse. If you want to save space you need to use cpu without lower the quality greatly. Do you have that r7 1700? that will be better than any gpu here.

Yes, I have a Ryzen 7 1700, but it still takes so long to compress the videos. And aslong as its watchable (Around youtube quality lets say) I don't care how it looks, audio, however, is important to me,

Also is this the info you are looking for?

M3XqkYR.png

Just now, scooterandy11 said:

Yes, I have a Ryzen 7 1700, but it still takes so long to compress the videos. And aslong as its watchable (Around youtube quality lets say) I don't care how it looks, audio, however, is important to me,

Also is this the info you are looking for?

M3XqkYR.png

What program are you using? How long are the files?

So with some quick testing use my r7 1700 and handbrake and x265 I can get a 1080p  file down to about 1.5 mbit with 28 encode quality and medium settings, without it looking much worse visually. So that would be about 1/10 of the size in your case. And its about realtime on my 1700. 

If you want faster you can go x264 and get about 1/5 of the bitrate with similar quality at 2x realtime.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What program are you using? How long are the files?

So with some quick testing use my r7 1700 and handbrake and x265 I can get a 1080p  file down to about 1.5 mbit with 28 encode quality and medium settings, without it looking much worse visually. So that would be about 1/10 of the size in your case. And its about realtime on my 1700. 

If you want faster you can go x264 and get about 1/5 of the bitrate with similar quality at 2x realtime.

Here are my current settings, I use handbrake (latest version)

Vzr1xIr.png

cy0FSHM.png

The video files range from 15 mins to 4+ hours, with most ending up to be about 1.5 hours - 2hours long.

2 hours ago, scooterandy11 said:

Here are my current settings, I use handbrake (latest version)

Vzr1xIr.png

cy0FSHM.png

The video files range from 15 mins to 4+ hours, with most ending up to be about 1.5 hours - 2hours long.

Here is how id change it to encode faster with simmilar quality

- turn off two pass, takes much longer, not much extra quality

-Id go with fast instead of medium if you want faster encodes, quailty difference isn't to much and its about 30-50% faster.

- Id turn quality down to 24 or 26. Thats still better than youtube and you get smaller files.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

turn off two pass,

However, it is greyed out unless I select the avrg bitrate instead of the quality number. Does it still make a difference?

11 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Here is how id change it to encode faster with simmilar quality

- turn off two pass, takes much longer, not much extra quality

-Id go with fast instead of medium if you want faster encodes, quailty difference isn't to much and its about 30-50% faster.

- Id turn quality down to 24 or 26. Thats still better than youtube and you get smaller files.

https://i.imgur.com/8nc8vqA.gifv

3 minutes ago, scooterandy11 said:

Im dumb

7 minutes ago, scooterandy11 said:

However, it is greyed out unless I select the avrg bitrate instead of the quality number. Does it still make a difference?

won't make a difference, only used for constant bitrate, not constant quality.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Im dumb

won't make a difference, only used for constant bitrate, not constant quality.

If you do know about any GPU compression programs that work well please do tell me because this still takes forever.

In the long run, if you're producing this much video content, you're going to have to look at a long term archival solution.  Be it burning discs or just additional drives.  Just re-encoding and losing quality in the process to save space is a temporary solution at best if you're going to keep making more.

4 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

In the long run, if you're producing this much video content, you're going to have to look at a long term archival solution.  Be it burning discs or just additional drives.  Just re-encoding and losing quality in the process to save space is a temporary solution at best if you're going to keep making more.

Yes I know, I have looked into the possibility of creating a NAS and a cold storage computer. However, I do not have the money for that yet. Because computer components are not cheap at the moment.

2 hours ago, scooterandy11 said:

If you do know about any GPU compression programs that work well please do tell me because this still takes forever.

No one makes a good cuda encoder, and nvenc is much worse quality, so you will just need more disk space. If you really want faster, set x265 to fast or faster and raise the quality.

CPU is better for encoding videos, gpu won't help here.