Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1050 ti 6pin

riobear1

So I'm going to ask a stupid question. I have recently installed a gtx1050ti from gigabyte and noticed the absence of the 6pin power supply connecter. Now I plan to overclock it further but would prefer a 6pin connector as it relieves stress from my PCI connections. I noticed there are empty pin holes where a 6pin could supposedly be added. What do you think? Anyone tried it or considered what extra mods may be necessary if done? Please let me know as I've seen people with 6pina nearly get their clocks for the GPU to nearly 2 GHz while I want to try and get some more overclock to it.

It probably takes more than just the 6 pin power to get it that far, you need a good VRM and power phase design. Since that card likely isn't designed to take more power than PCIe can deliver, I would advise against it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

It probably takes more than just the 6 pin power to get it that far, you need a good VRM and power phase design. Since that card likely isn't designed to take more power than PCIe can deliver, I would advise against it.

Cheers, I'll consider a bit more research into the VRMs and what they can handle and try and see if anyone has tried it.

1 minute ago, riobear1 said:

Cheers, I'll consider a bit more research into the VRMs and what they can handle and try and see if anyone has tried it.

People have probably tried it, I just wouldn't expect it to be designed to handle that kind of power from an external connector and I don't want you frying your card (=

Best of luck mate!

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

People have probably tried it, I just wouldn't expect it to be designed to handle that kind of power from an external connector and I don't want you frying your card (=

Best of luck mate!

Yeah, I'll leave it for now because it's a great budget card and I spent all my cash and some of my parents cash on it so not losing it yet. I'll do my research and as games require more horsepower I'll try and get it to keep up. It's perfect with my fx8350 (overclocked) too

Just now, riobear1 said:

It's perfect with my fx8350 (overclocked)

Now there's a shocker. Last I heard, FX processors bottleneck anything higher than an R9 380

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Now there's a shocker. Last I heard, FX processors bottleneck anything higher than an R9 380

Correcto but it's overclocked and is still brilliant. Beats most i7s

1 minute ago, riobear1 said:

Correcto but it's overclocked and is still brilliant. Beats most i7s

Define "most".

When I last looked at the benchmarks, that CPU lost to an i5-4690K at stock settings.

Define "most".

When I last looked at the benchmarks, that CPU lost to an i5-4690K at stock settings.

By most I mean it was beaten by two top end i7s and was in the top 11 on aida64 when oced at 4.5ghz

Define "most".

Yeah those processors are not what they hold up to be. Not sure when you built it so I wont critique you too much but here's a shout. You should mine with the 1050ti enough for a boosted 1060 card and then sell the 1050ti and buy the 1060. Another option could be that you could sell the card you have and buy a 1050ti MSI Gaming X that actually has a 6pin connector. I have it right now and it wrecks paired with my i5 7600k kabylake. On MSI Afterburner I got the core clock up to +140 without problems and the memory to +300 with any stuttering. I play Ghost Recon wildlands and that I get well over 120 FPS and its butter smooth. Im not an expert but Those are just some ideas.

6 hours ago, Elo Gaming said:

Yeah those processors are not what they hold up to be. Not sure when you built it so I wont critique you too much but here's a shout. You should mine with the 1050ti enough for a boosted 1060 card and then sell the 1050ti and buy the 1060. Another option could be that you could sell the card you have and buy a 1050ti MSI Gaming X that actually has a 6pin connector. I have it right now and it wrecks paired with my i5 7600k kabylake. On MSI Afterburner I got the core clock up to +140 without problems and the memory to +300 with any stuttering. I play Ghost Recon wildlands and that I get well over 120 FPS and its butter smooth. Im not an expert but Those are just some ideas.

Well I did the build a couple of years ago and upgraded it because mine seems.to be great. I also apparently don't need the six pin connector for the oc