Why doesn't Microsoft release Office or Onedrive for Linux?

Ashleyyyy
1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

You could try installing MS Office using Wine and PlayOnLinux. I think I saw it as an option yesterday when I was picking through stuff it supported.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

To return back on topic.

Would Linux users, who have this image of mostly hating Microsoft and anything Microsoft does just because it is Microsoft. Actually use OneDrive or Office?

Basically, you not only have a smaller user base, but that base is also divided, potentially completely uneven in not using anything from MS. So, is it worth investing millions of dollars to port Office on Linux for a basically a handful of users?

OneDrive becuz its online so not worth the time 

Office becuz ppl didnt buy a os di u think they ll buy app

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Would Linux users, who have this image of mostly hating Microsoft and anything Microsoft does just because it is Microsoft. Actually use OneDrive or Office?

Basically, you not only have a smaller user base, but that base is also divided, potentially completely uneven in not using anything from MS.

I think its a mixture of this, and of them probably moving away from Desktop versions at all.

Linux users can use Office, Office 365 has a full web interface for the tools, so you can use Word Online etc.

I would not be surprised if they just intended to slowly phase out the desktop versions (where they need multiple versions) in favour of a web version that works across all OSs.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

They might just not like Linux very much, it's not as widely used as Windows or Mac.

i thought they did.. 

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/CEO-Satya-Nadella-Microsoft-Loves-Linux-462754-2.jpg

1 hour ago, themctipers said:

because if you are using linux.. you are smart

and smart people see..

libreoffice, which is free, and works on mac/windows/linux, and can do word documents/read docx/doc files.. etc

why should I be paying for a service/software that literally has a alternative that is free and works pretty good

don't forget... most of the loud linux people are screaming that they use arch and fuck microsoft!

this is all true, however i have Office classes at school, and because of that i need to know the ui of Office. 

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

If they ported office to linux, a large amount of the windows user base would no longer have a reason to use windows other than personal preference. Since linux distros are mostly free of charge they're afraid it would significantly cut into their license sales to students and low range oems. This isn't really a secret even though they've never explicitly said it. Office for mac doesn't interfere with this because to get macOS you need to buy an expensive mac and you probably wouldn't have bought a windows license anyway.

this is true. if they did, i woudn't have a reason to use it other than gaming. but that's one system instead of 2 already, because i don't game on my laptop... 

1 hour ago, KenjiUmino said:

you are a smart guy.

by the way - skype for linux also went to shit after skype was bought by microsoft.

last time i tried to use skype on linux i found out it has not been updated for ages. 

true, it didn't get updated for a long time.. at one point i was on ubuntu 16 and the website still listed the skype version for ubuntu 12 as the most recent... 

40 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You have the web site version of both.

Microsoft isn't making a Linux version probably because see 0 value in it. Although, Skype for Linux is a thing and is in development.

website versions are crap in general... as Linus showed in the pixel book video, the Word online site crashed when loading a template. 

24 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

windows- double click on word icon: word ready to edit a document

linux- double click on word icon: error missing 20 packages, apt-get install 20package, error you don't have enough permissions, sudo apt-get install 20package, downloading 1/20, 19/20 warning the system is outdated 20package isn't compatible with your current version, apt-get update, downloading 1MB out of 18GB *4 hours later* sudo apt-get install 20package, couldn't get 20package the repository is offline

Windows: install update. reboot. ERROR. reinstall windows. install update. reboot. ERROR. reinstall Windows, install update. reboot. ERROR... 

11 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Don't forget conflicts! :D and then you take your systems and through it out of the window.

never had a conflict before.. well i did, but it told me and halted the install of the application. 

10 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

At least it reverts, and you have a working system. And has the ability to restore back in a time a system without affecting personal files. So you have many layers to undo screws up either done by the OS or the user. Wish Linux distros would work on that.

yeah. reverts, reinstalls the same update and bricks again. 

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

To return back on topic.

Basically, you not only have a smaller user base, but that base is also divided, potentially completely uneven in not using anything from MS.

i would. 

10 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Yes because a failed windows update every once 10.000 successfuls ones is something to go crazy over, this technology is never perfect regardless how much you invest on it, to every "bad" in Windows you'll get 5~ bad in Linux either ways making an actual ratio comparison.

"nuff said?"

that happens way more often on Windows. i have had systems that had linux on them for 10+ months and never skipped a beat. 

on Windows, when it's not reinstalling candy crush every 5 minutes it's installing some update that bricks thew machine. the 2018-01 update bricked TWO machines for me.. 

EDIT: clarification of bricked: broken Windows update installer that would no longer update the system further causing me to have to reinstall. 

She/Her

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

At least it reverts, and you have a working system. 

i wish. ever seen this happen in an endless loop ? do updates, fail, restart, revert updates, restart, do updates, fail, restart, revert updates, restart...

7 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Yes because a failed windows update every once 10.000 successfuls ones is something to go crazy over, this technology is never perfect regardless how much you invest on it, to every "bad" in Windows you'll get 5~ bad in Linux either ways making an actual ratio comparison.

"nuff said?"

my ratio is that i had more trouble with windows upates (among other things) than i had with linux package dependencies.

programs from the built in software manager or default repositories always installed right away without trouble. 

2 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

i wish. ever seen this happen in an endless loop ? do updates, fail, restart, revert updates, restart, do updates, fail, restart, revert updates, restart...

yes. a lot. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

yes. a lot. 

also a classic: an update that sits at 35% all night and has not gained a single % when you come back to it next morning. but don't even THINK of pushing that reset button.

Just now, KenjiUmino said:

also a classic: an update that sits at 35% all night and has not gained a single % when you come back to it next morning. but don't even THINK of pushing that reset button.

or even worse. a friend of mine had an update that said "downloaded 2 %". he turned his laptop off, about an hour later turned it back on and it rebooted to "working on updates. do not turn off"  and it stayed like that forever... 

She/Her

23 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

my ratio is that i had more trouble with windows upates (among other things) than i had with linux package dependencies.

programs from the built in software manager or default repositories always installed right away without trouble. 

windows or linux issues can be fixed but if a mac is unable to start you have to take it to an apple service centre and pay 100 bucks so they reinstall the os xD

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

15 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

windows or linux issues can be fixed but if a mac is unable to start you have to take it to an apple service centre and pay 100 bucks so they reinstall the os xD

really? i reinstalled the os on a bunch of G4 macs with no problem. have no hands on experience with intel macs tho.