Beginner Help

I'm looking to expand the amount of storage in my home without adding more drives to my gaming PC. Is it possible to get a cheap server or something similar (For about a few hundred GBP) that can store quite a bit of data ( A few TeraBytes) ? Also is it possible that it could be used to load a game? To save space on my main PC? So instead of having to install it on the PC, run a cable between the two and then use the other system to play the game? Thanks

The Darkened Phantom(With some light shining through)

CPU: I7-8700K @4.9Ghz 1.313 V Core

COOLER: Corsair H115i

GPU: 1070 Founders Edition @Stock settings

RAM: 16GB DDR4 CL14 TEAM GROUP DARK PRO 8PACK Hand picked Samsung B-Dies @ 3200mhz

PSU: Corsair RM 850X

CASE: Enthoo Pro M Special Edition

STORAGE: 1X 128GB SSD, 1X120GB SSD, 1 X 500GB NVME PCIE SSD and 1X 2TB HDD

3 minutes ago, DrBonesMcCoy said:

Both of the things you want to do are possible, yes.

But it the only thing you want to do is store files/games, just get a NAS (for example from Synology) since it will be easier to set up and draw way less power.

You can also use it to save games on it, but it will be most likely slower than having the game on a HDD in your PC, because you will be limited to the speed of your network (which will be more then likely Gigabit, so about 120MB/s), unless you get 10Gb, which will be more expensive.

Please quote me in any answers to my posts, so that I can read them easily and don´t forget about them. Thanks!

I love spending my time with PC tinkering, networking and server-stuff.

5 minutes ago, DrBonesMcCoy said:

I'm looking to expand the amount of storage in my home without adding more drives to my gaming PC. Is it possible to get a cheap server or something similar (For about a few hundred GBP) that can store quite a bit of data ( A few TeraBytes) ? Also is it possible that it could be used to load a game? To save space on my main PC? So instead of having to install it on the PC, run a cable between the two and then use the other system to play the game? Thanks

You likely 100% do not want to run a game from across a network.

Why not just add a hard drive to your gaming PC? What other things do you need a home server for? plex streaming? multiple PC storage?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

You likely 100% do not want to run a game from across a network.

Why not just add a hard drive to your gaming PC? What other things do you need a home server for? plex streaming? multiple PC storage?

I wanted to move stuff away from my PC as I don't want my PC making all of the vibrations through my desk. Also there are several other PC's in my house (Mothers,father, dinning room computer) which are used quite often and the laptops and the other PC both have limited room.

The Darkened Phantom(With some light shining through)

CPU: I7-8700K @4.9Ghz 1.313 V Core

COOLER: Corsair H115i

GPU: 1070 Founders Edition @Stock settings

RAM: 16GB DDR4 CL14 TEAM GROUP DARK PRO 8PACK Hand picked Samsung B-Dies @ 3200mhz

PSU: Corsair RM 850X

CASE: Enthoo Pro M Special Edition

STORAGE: 1X 128GB SSD, 1X120GB SSD, 1 X 500GB NVME PCIE SSD and 1X 2TB HDD

Just now, DrBonesMcCoy said:

I wanted to move stuff away from my PC as I don't want my PC making all of the vibrations through my desk. Also there are several other PC's in my house (Mothers,father, dinning room computer) which are used quite often and the laptops and the other PC both have limited room.

Then find some cheap used hardware and build a freeNAS box, maybe just make sure it has at least 8gbs of RAM, obviously more sata ports and CPU performance the better

But it sounds like you could probably just buy a silence focused case like a Dark Base 600 and stick hard drives in that

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, DrBonesMcCoy said:

I wanted to move stuff away from my PC as I don't want my PC making all of the vibrations through my desk.

harddrives do vibrate a little but not to the point where you can feel your desk vibrating. if this is the case then you really should find the cause for this. could be bad mounting of those harddrives or dodgy fans and other stuff as well. 

3 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

harddrives do vibrate a little but not to the point where you can feel your desk vibrating. if this is the case then you really should find the cause for this. could be bad mounting of those harddrives or dodgy fans and other stuff as well. 

Maybe he's only used 100,000 RPM drives

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

Maybe he's only used 100,000 RPM drives

yeah - that would explain it. or if the drives are from 1995 or something.