Xbox one or ps4 Controllers?

Andy_Guelcher

Xbox One Standard or Ps4 controller? (ignore installing ps4 controller drivers)  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Xbox one Or PS4 Controller

• Xbox One Standard controller (Wired or Wireless)
    • Ps4 Dualshock4 Controller (Wired or Wireless)
    • Other

On 2.2.2018 at 5:24 PM, Froody129 said:

The PS4 controller support is trash even though it has "official" support through through steam. I sold mine and looking at getting an XBone controller at some point.

You have to configure the controller in steam and then it works with most Steam Games that don't support them.

I had the same problem with Deus Ex - Human Revolution and it worked after configuring the controller in Steam.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 2.2.2018 at 5:28 PM, Ophidio said:

It works great for me? Way better than the Xbox One controller. The only game I've had problems with support for DS4 are Nier: Automata. The DS4 is just sluggish in that game but everything else like Dark Souls, GTA, Ori, LEGO Games, and Naruto Shippuden the DS4 is way better than the Xbone controller for me.

Do you have the first DS4 or the later ones?

23 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Do you have the first DS4 or the later ones?

I have the first one that came out. Day one PS4 owner :D

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

48 minutes ago, Ophidio said:

I have the first one that came out. Day one PS4 owner :D

The newer ones are different and should have lower latency.

16 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

The newer ones are different and should have lower latency.

latency is only an issue in Nier for me, I have more latency issues from my Xbone controller and it's a One S controller.

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

Xbone controller hands down. Newer "S" controllers with Bluetooth are dope af, and they don't feel like cheap shit like DS4 controllers do.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Like the OP stated this is down to personal preference. Due to growing up around a PS2 and Xbox Classic I tend to lean towards the XBone remote due to ergonomics (Sits better in my big hands than the PS3/4 controllers). The 360 controller where great and fairly durable had two that lasted over 5 years. Had the XBone for 3 and one already has a broken bumper while the other has a faulty/finicky RB. 

What annoys me about the PS3/4 controller is purely the Triggers. I like the leeway the Xbox controllers give you while the PS3/4 controller just allow the trigger to go the full way back (Messes with my finger placement). If the triggers where similar to the xbox one design then I would prefer the Dualshock controllers but since nah then it the 360 controller all the way.

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

Xbox One X controllers for the most part. My issue with the controller is the d-pad, so I use either the PS4 or Switch Pro controller in cases that I feel are d-pad heavy. I guess between those two I'd go with the Switch controller. I need a better Bluetooth solution though. I have the old XOX controller so I use the USB dongle for wireless and the works beautifully. I have a USB Bluetooth and it sucks with occasional lag that comes and goes. No idea what the problem is. Maybe need to try another USB Bluetooth or go for a PCI card.

Another Thing poeple tend to miss most time:
The XBox One Controller has just what you see:
An X-Button for Windows and so, "Start" "Select", 2 analogue triggers, two digital shoulder buttons, 4 normal buttons, D-Pad and two Analogue Sticks.

The PS4 Controller has that too but also:
a) a pushable Touchpad

b) a couple of gyros as well.

So the PS4 Pad is way superior to the XBox One pad in terms of features :D:D

But the other things ain't things people think about much...

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely the XBOX One controller (specifically the S revision). The layout is superior for my preferences. Quality is comparable or better, and it has a larger battery.

Though as everyone has mentioned, it's totally personal preference for the most part.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Definitely the Xbox controller - the PS4 controller just feels awkward and small in the hand.

Follow me on Twitch! - Twitch.TV/PedenPants

Gaming Rig

Core i7-6800k @ 4.0 GHZ | 16 GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | WD Black NVMe 256 GB | WD Blue 1 TB | Acer 24" 144 HZ XFA240 | ASUS STRIX GTX 1070 8 GB

Streaming Rig - Dell Inspiron i7559

15.6" 1920x1080 | Intel Core i5-6300HQ @ 3.2GHZ | 16 GB DDR3-12800 | 256 GB SSD | Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB

• 3 weeks later...

With the quality of the controllers being poorer for the newer consoles (experienced by my son, me and others I have talked to) I definitely recommend going with an Xbox 360 controller still if we are talking here about using it for pc.  I use the wired version.  It is common to see still too people asking about how Xbox 360 controllers work on Steam for games vs any new console's controller.  

In regards to PS3 and PS4 controllers that is part of the reason Sony systems have never really gotten much play time from me.  The setup of the controllers is just not a nice feel.  They don't fit your hands well say almost fitting like a glove.

Also I know my son will say that the sticks on the PS3, PS4 and on the Xbox One just seem more loose than the Xbox 360 sticks making it harder to be more accurate with what you are doing when you need accuracy say in NHL 18 for instance which is what he mostly plays.  He also plays shooters (COD) too and you'd think looser sticks would help in that you can more quickly move to a target but for him it doesn't seem to work in a way that is beneficial.

Finally I'd say whatever controller gets you playing with family and friends though is the best one.  I'd rather play with a crappy controller and have fun with others than to play with a good one and play alone. 

9 hours ago, ImNotDeViLzzz said:

With the quality of the controllers being poorer for the newer consoles (experienced by my son, me and others I have talked to) I definitely recommend going with an Xbox 360 controller still if we are talking here about using it for pc.  I use the wired version.  

Interesting. I had an XBOX 360, still have some controllers lying around, and currently own an XBOX One S.

I have not noticed a degradation in controller quality. My One S controller seems to be just as well built as my old 360 controllers.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

10 hours ago, ImNotDeViLzzz said:

With the quality of the controllers being poorer for the newer consoles (experienced by my son, me and others I have talked to) I definitely recommend going with an Xbox 360 controller still if we are talking here about using it for pc.  I use the wired version.  

I've had the opposite experience. I have an SNES controller with a fiddly button (it sometimes doesn't work, it sometimes has a deboucing problem) and an N64 controller where the stick is a little stiff. Still have a heavily used PS2 and PS3 controller that works fine. The rubber on the thumbsticks on my PS4 are wearing down, but I had it since launch and the controller works fine otherwise. And I have an Xbox 360 and Xbox One controller for the PC and neither are showing signs of degradation.