Best VPN?

SmilesRising

Hi! im looking for a good VPN. 

whats the best one that offers unlimited data with good speed, is available on iphone and on pc, and wont give out any information? 

i can pay about 10$ per month for it!

Watches and computers                    

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

Pretty cheap, and afaik the only VPN company that has been proven to take customer privacy seriously.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Are you saying you have never seen a single tunnel bear ad on LTT

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

Just now, AdvancedMicroDisapointment said:

Are you saying you have never seen a single tunnel bear ad on LTT

i have but i dont know if its the best one!

Watches and computers                    

in video ad: "This video is brought to you by TunnelBear! TunnelBear is a free VPN service that lets you browse privately as if you were in one of many countries. Try it now for free."

SPECS: Intel Core i5-4460 // PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 4GB // 1x8GB DDR3 RAM // Delta 500AB-6A PSU // HyperX Cloud Stinger / Logitech G710+ / Logitech G502 / Xbox One Halo Guardian controller // LG 24M45H 1080p // 

How to cope with depression

Spoiler free review of Life is Strange (Video Game)

I personally use Private Internet Access. I switched to it in November after my super cheap deal for Hotspotshield ran out and I've found it really good over the past 3 months. I do plan on trying a month or so of NordVPN in February before I make a long term purchase.

Neither PIA or NordVPN sell user data. 

Well i just want something good and reliable, a VPN service that actually care about my personal info

Watches and computers                    

I currently use PIA and it's great with the exception that 90% of its IPs are blacklisted on Netflix. Their applications are fantastically simple, their servers are fast, and their plans are very cheap.

I used Speedify for a few months but abandoned it when their PC application kept breaking after updates. I used TunnelBear for a month, but I the fact that they keep logs steered me away real quick. I used CyberGhost VPN for a year, but their servers are incredibly slow and their applications are overcomplicated.

I would suggest that you wait for the next Humble Bundle PC Lover bundle and get a year-long VPN service to try for under $10.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

There's some good information regarding different VPNs and what features they offer at thatoneprivacysite

I tried tunnelbear and it works ok. It is cheaper to subscribe through the Apple App Store than through Google Play Store. If you are concerned about privacy you can use a dummy Apple account to subscribe and pay for it entirely through physical iTunes vouchers bought for cash. You can do similar with NordVPN, and a bunch or other VPNs.

Main PC ::: Dell XPS 13 (9343) ::: Samsung Galaxy S8 ::: Apple iPad Pro 9.8" 128GB ::: Apple Pencil ::: Pebble Classic (until June :()

Just now, smiles rising said:

Well i just want something good and reliable, a VPN service that actually care about my personal info

PIA definitely does, they're one of the best for taking customer privacy seriously. If you're looking at a long term subscription, they currently have a 2 year plan at $2.91/month, though you pay $70 up front, which works out to that price per month. Even if you don't, their monthly plan is only $7 a month, which is one of the better ones for a pay monthly plan.

Whatever you do, DON'T use CyberGhost. Don't know if you were even considering it but I used it in the past and they advertised offshore VPN services as well as not selling user information nor being subject to US court ordered subpoenas for user information (that the right term lol?). I don't know if they changed their claims since I've used it, but after 2 notices from my ISP, and a like $500 fine in order to get my internet turned back on, I determined that was definitely a lie.

Osmium: NFC Skyreach 4 // i7-8700k (delidd) // GTX 1080 // 32GB DDR4-3200Mhz // 1TB 960 Evo M.2 // 1.1TB MX300 m.2
Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow // Razer Orbweaver // Razer Kraken // Logitech G502 // Logitech K830 // LG 34UC88-B

Usage: Adobe Lightroom // Adobe Photoshop // Web Dev // Recording Gameplay // Video Editing // Portable Gaming

I'm using Windscribe at the moment and they are very active with developing their application. They also have specials servers now for streaming sites like Netflix.

In their app you can choose between protocols and ports, so you'll always be able to connect on a restricted network. I grabbed their lifetime subscription on stacksocial, but yeah... how long is lifetime...?

TUNNEL BEAR THE SIMPLE VPN APP 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

I can't say which one is the best since I've only tried the huge sample of... 1. I can say I'm happy with it, though. So in that sense I can recommend Invisible Browsing VPN.

38 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

wont give out any information? 

If you care about that, you have to check not only the claims of the provider, but also its country's regulations. Many VPN providers will claim no logging, no disclosure (so which one is it? They don't disclose, or they just don't have? :P), but they are based on a country that legally requires logging and/or log disclosure on judicial (or sometimes not even) request.

That would be the case, for instance, with any US-based VPN.

What do you guys think about Mullvad?

Watches and computers                    

I've been using AirVPN for a while now and it's been pretty good. I used PIA before and I felt like the speeds were a bit better but the UI on the Windows AirVPN app seems much nicer. Also, sometimes when I was using PIA, turning it off to watch Netflix seemed to require a reboot more often than Air does. But that's been almost a year ago and could be much improved by now.

It depends on what your goal is with using a VPN.

Chances are PIA is your best option. I would highly recommend against TunnelBear. PIA is better in every way including not blocking any type of traffic (Tunnelbear does) and price (about 30% cheaper)

another PIA user here.  I chose them specifically because of the privacy.  PIA says they do not keep logs of customers traffic and they wouldn't share the traffic with any entity because there are no logs to share.  Not sure if that is still the case as it has been a few years now since I read that.  So even if they were subpoenaed , there is nothing for them to turn over.

18 hours ago, LAwLz said:

It depends on what your goal is with using a VPN.

Chances are PIA is your best option. I would highly recommend against TunnelBear. PIA is better in every way including not blocking any type of traffic (Tunnelbear does) and price (about 30% cheaper)

i want to download things from websites without having my ISP logg it.. i want to do whatever i want without worrying about my ISP doing anything against me..

Watches and computers                    

34 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

i want to download things from websites without having my ISP logg it.. i want to do whatever i want without worrying about my ISP doing anything against me..

Then PIA is the right way to go.

6 hours ago, smiles rising said:

what do you think about mullvad? https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-comparison-chart/ this site says that Mullvad is pretty much the same? or should i just go with PIA?

Haven't heard much about Mulvad but it seems nice. It's more expensive than PIA though, and I am not sure it offers connections to other countries, but it has a free trial so you can just try it out if you want.

• 6 months later...
On 31/01/2018 at 7:46 PM, Revamp said:

Whatever you do, DON'T use CyberGhost. Don't know if you were even considering it but I used it in the past and they advertised offshore VPN services as well as not selling user information nor being subject to US court ordered subpoenas for user information (that the right term lol?). I don't know if they changed their claims since I've used it, but after 2 notices from my ISP, and a like $500 fine in order to get my internet turned back on, I determined that was definitely a lie.

It sounds more likely you set it up wrong or they don't have a kill switch so it leaked what you were doing, as the notices would come from the VPN or the copyright holder not your ISP.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

I could recommend NordVPN: many servers, good speeds, and reliable connection. Also, zero log policy which is really important. Of course, there are alternatives like PIA, Surfshark VPN, Goose VPN. Be sure to check them out. Also don't use free VPNs, because most of them aren't secure (you can read more here for example).