USB ports flickering in a new PC Build, Help!

Go to solution Solved by TheElectronicGeek1,
Just now, Allan_ said:

Well for starters I thought it might be drawing too much power as well so i just took out the graphics card and still had the same problem. Also i have 600 Watt power supply which should be more than enough already and without a graphics card it should just be overkill. I also tried a mouse and still had the same problem. Additionally I tried all ports, both in the motherboard and in the case up in the front sooo i really dont know what might be causing this problem.

No no it's not the power supplies fault, the usb ports can only deliver so much power, around .5-1 amps. If it's doing it with a mouse then the only other problems would be the 24 pin not plugged in correctly, or the motherboard's fault. Everything else works and you can boot into windows right?

Hey guys,

So I just made my first PC build recently and just put everything together and booted it up. I plugged in a keyboard and mouse to boot it up to bios but i saw that the keyboard backlit kept turning on and off at a constantly. I realized that it wasn't just the backlit but the entire keyboard kept turning on and off, i tried switching ports and still had the same issue. It didn't matter if I used case ports on the front or directly to the motherboard, it turned on and off at a constant speed, like it wasn't fluctuating but turned off an on every 0.5 seconds. I have no idea whats causing this? Any help is much appreciated. 

Thanks.

Specs:

MSI B350 pro-vd motherboard

Ryzen 5 1600x

Gtx 1070 by Asus

EVGA 600 Watt power supply

Vengeance LPX 8 Gb x 2 DDR4 Ram 

Seagate 2TB HDD

Samsung 250 Gb SSD

7 minutes ago, Allan_ said:

Hey guys,

So I just made my first PC build recently and just put everything together and booted it up. I plugged in a keyboard and mouse to boot it up to bios but i saw that the keyboard backlit kept turning on and off at a constantly. I realized that it wasn't just the backlit but the entire keyboard kept turning on and off, i tried switching ports and still had the same issue. It didn't matter if I used case ports on the front or directly to the motherboard, it turned on and off at a constant speed, like it wasn't fluctuating but turned off an on every 0.5 seconds. I have no idea whats causing this? Any help is much appreciated. 

Thanks.

Specs:

MSI B350 pro-vd motherboard

Ryzen 5 1600x

Gtx 1070 by Asus

EVGA 600 Watt power supply

Vengeance LPX 8 Gb x 2 DDR4 Ram 

Seagate 2TB HDD

Samsung 250 Gb SSD

It might be drawing too much power, are you using the front panel ports or the back motherboard ports. Also try turning off keyboard back lighting and see if the keyboard works fine.

Discord: Skyline#0820

Literally an idiot, don't listen to me.

Main computer: i5-4690k 4.3GHz, Noctua NH-D15, Nitro+ RX 580 SE, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, Samsung 840 series 128GB Crucial MX500 2TB, WD Purple 3TB, EVGA 600w, Dell s2240m 1080p 60hz, Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue, Logitech G502 Hero.

Asus GU501gm

What EVGA 600W is that

N1?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 minutes ago, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

It might be drawing too much power, are you using the front panel ports or the back motherboard ports. Also try turning off keyboard back lighting and see if the keyboard works fine.

Well for starters I thought it might be drawing too much power as well so i just took out the graphics card and still had the same problem. Also i have 600 Watt power supply which should be more than enough already and without a graphics card it should just be overkill. I also tried a mouse and still had the same problem. Additionally I tried all ports, both in the motherboard and in the case up in the front sooo i really dont know what might be causing this problem.

1 minute ago, JDE said:

What EVGA 600W is that

N1?

Its the EVGA - 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Just now, Allan_ said:

No no it's not the power supplies fault, the usb ports can only deliver so much power, around .5-1 amps. If it's doing it with a mouse then the only other problems would be the 24 pin not plugged in correctly, or the motherboard's fault. Everything else works and you can boot into windows right?

Main computer: i5-4690k 4.3GHz, Noctua NH-D15, Nitro+ RX 580 SE, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, Samsung 840 series 128GB Crucial MX500 2TB, WD Purple 3TB, EVGA 600w, Dell s2240m 1080p 60hz, Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue, Logitech G502 Hero.

Asus GU501gm

2 minutes ago, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

Well I havent installed windows yet. Just saw the problem and was trying to fix it. Quick question, would it still be the motherboard even though i tried the front panel usb's ?

Just now, Allan_ said:

Well I havent installed windows yet. Just saw the problem and was trying to fix it. Quick question, would it still be the motherboard even though i tried the front panel usb's ?

Yes, the front panel usb's are just plugged into the bottom of the motherboard, a little similar to the power reset hdd light and power light plugs. Check to see that all the power connectors are plugged in and that there are no additional plugs on the motherboard that you might have missed.

Asus GU501gm

12 minutes ago, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

Yes, the front panel usb's are just plugged into the bottom of the motherboard, a little similar to the power reset hdd light and power light plugs. Check to see that all the power connectors are plugged in and that there are no additional plugs on the motherboard that you might have missed.

Alright so I just checked to see if any cables are lose especially the 24 pin connector and everything seems to be properly secure, but there are additional wires that i havent connected yet but those are just the wires that i am not using like the pcie cables and extra sata cables and such. Does it look like i am missing anything?

IMG_20180130_234331.jpg

IMG_20180130_234339.jpg

Just now, Allan_ said:

Alright so I just checked to see if any cables are lose especially the 24 pin connector and everything seems to be properly secure, but there are additional wires that i havent connected yet but those are just the wires that i am not using like the pcie cables and extra sata cables and such. Does it look like i am missing anything?

IMG_20180130_234331.jpg

IMG_20180130_234339.jpg

No, if it continues to not work you could try measuring the output of the usb ports with a multi meter and a usb cable with the wires stripped at the end.

Asus GU501gm

1 minute ago, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

No, if it continues to not work you could try measuring the output of the usb ports with a multi meter and a usb cable with the wires stripped at the end.

Well I dont have a multi meter :/ and i really dont wanna buy one just for this especially after i spent around 2K on this thing.

Just now, Allan_ said:

Well I dont have a multi meter :/ and i really dont wanna buy one just for this especially after i spent around 2K on this thing.

Are the usb 2.0 or 3.0 ports doing that, or is it both of them.

Asus GU501gm

Just now, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

Are the usb 2.0 or 3.0 ports doing that, or is it both of them.

well when i plug it to the motherboard the 3.0 doesn't show the backlit on the keyboard but performs the same (flickering) 2.0's on the motherbaord show backlit but still flichering. The front of the case both 2.0 and 3.0 flickers with the backlit also flickering 

Just now, Allan_ said:

well when i plug it to the motherboard the 3.0 doesn't show the backlit on the keyboard but performs the same (flickering) 2.0's on the motherbaord show backlit but still flichering. The front of the case both 2.0 and 3.0 flickers with the backlit also flickering 

Alright that sounds like a motherboard issue, contact the place you bought it from or the company that made your motherboard and see if you can get it rma'd or replaced.

Asus GU501gm

Update:

5 minutes ago, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

Alright that sounds like a motherboard issue, contact the place you bought it from or the company that made your motherboard and see if you can get it rma'd or replaced.

Update: so I reconnected about all the wires and and now the mouse works and my old keyboard now works as well but my keyboard with leds still doesn't work. It could be driver issues, but i am just glad that my mouse and my old keyboard work now so thanks so much dude i really appreciate it!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Allan_ said:

Update:

Update: so I reconnected about all the wires and and now the mouse works and my old keyboard now works as well but my keyboard with leds still doesn't work. It could be driver issues, but i am just glad that my mouse and my old keyboard work now so thanks so much dude i really appreciate it!!!!!

That's strange. Glad it works, keyboard might be a little confused about how much power it can draw but go ahead and install all the drivers and lighting software and see how it works.

Asus GU501gm