Buying Used - Like New items on Amazon.

IamODIN

is it trust worthy? in the description of what "like new" means is that it has never been touched and in original packaging but is it so for all items always?

further more. would u ever buy it yourself? im considering buying a motherboard on amazon which is listed as "used - like new" because its cheaper

UajlLWk.png

I'd say so. I recently bought a "like new" headset for like 10 bucks cheaper than brand new. Package was a bit scratched up, but the product itself was fine. It even still had the plastic on it for me to peel off.

Amazon's website says this:

A "like new" item sold on Amazon Warehouse is in perfect condition, however, due to the condition of the packaging, it does not meet Amazon.com standards for new product. Returned items with minor packaging defects are classified as "Used-Like New."

Admittedly though, I haven't had a ton of experience buying like this. Since motherboards are so easy to break, if I were you I would at least make sure I could return it in case anything is wrong.

Amazon's customer satisfaction efforts are freaking' AMAZING.  So don't worry, even if if you get something bad, they will pay to have you ship it back.  They will bend over to keep you happy.

46 minutes ago, _Froyo said:

I'd say so. I recently bought a "like new" headset for like 10 bucks cheaper than brand new. Package was a bit scratched up, but the product itself was fine. It even still had the plastic on it for me to peel off.

Amazon's website says this:

Admittedly though, I haven't had a ton of experience buying like this. Since motherboards are so easy to break, if I were you I would at least make sure I could return it in case anything is wrong.

22 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Amazon's customer satisfaction efforts are freaking' AMAZING.  So don't worry, even if if you get something bad, they will pay to have you ship it back.  They will bend over to keep you happy.

thank you very much!!

3 hours ago, IamODIN said:

-

Could mean anything, you have to look at it in person to know if the seller is 100% truthful and honest with you. Take it with a grain of salt.

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

Could mean anything, you have to look at it in person to know if the seller is 100% truthful and honest with you. Take it with a grain of salt.

The seller is amazon warehouse

2 hours ago, IamODIN said:

The seller is amazon warehouse

Yeah I was looking at that too, FULLFILLED by Amazon, dunno if thats Joe Blows product ready for drop ship or Amazon product.

As in all cases when buying second-hand stuff, it's like this: If you have OCD, and scratches and scuffs on your stuff can ruin your life, never buy second-hand.

If they don't bother you, then I'd still say never buy second-hand as it's most likely a person is simply trying to pass on an item that is - though still working - damaged or very well-worn in some way.

27 minutes ago, CDHoward said:

damaged or very well-worn in some way.

Not always, it could be barely used or a product that they opened but never got around to using.

So by definition of like new in most places it means usually no bad scratches but can have minor flaws that do not hinder operation.

I think my SX40 was the last item I bought that was a fully functional used item, it came with basically no visual scratches but was showing some light use with the rubber grips.

I wouldn't trust buying used items you expect to be reliable from a unreliable source, but if the unit is shipped and sold by amazon I would likely trust it as long as you test it asap within the return policy.

I ordered an Xbox 360 Wireless pad for Windows from Amazon Warehouse, this is the SKU that includes the USB dongle for the wireless 360 pad.  ...It was missing the dongle. My bet is someone bought it NEW from amazon, took the dongle, THEN returned it and it went to Warehouse to resell.  Amazon totally paid to have it shipped back and refunded me.

"Like New" generally means the package was opened, the product may or may not have been used once or twice, but from all appearances, looks... *dun dun dunnnnn* like it's new.

If sold by a reputable seller (in this case, fulfilled by Amazon), then it's likely safe to buy.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Thanks a lot guys.. i dont think i will buy it anymore lol

Oh, I should also mention, my GT 1080 is from Amazon Warehouse cause I guess it was returned.  Either way they had to discount it.  Only paid $595 CAD Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC.  There was a risk it would turn up dead but that's what Amazon's amazing customer return policy is for.

5 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Oh, I should also mention, my GT 1080 is from Amazon Warehouse cause I guess it was returned.  Either way they had to discount it.  Only paid $595 CAD Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC.  There was a risk it would turn up dead but that's what Amazon's amazing customer return policy is for.

hmm.. i prefer not to go thru the hassle. but thanks a lot for your help