Help Finding Motherboard That is Compatible with Elgato 4k Capture?

Hey everyone so i recently purchased an elgato 4k capture card for my streaming PC. Only to get off the phone with tech support to find out that my motherboard does not have enough pcie lanes to support both the capture card and a video card the gtx 1050.

This was tested multiple times with only capture card or only graphics card they work separately but not together.

the tech said that i would need a Mother board with 32 PCIE16x or a PCIE 4x lane. 

I should add that I have tried Putting the Elgato and video card in every configuration available with the 3 pcie 16x slots they will not work together whatsoever. However they work fine if solo.

Currently I have 

I7 7700k

gtx 1050

an asus z270 asus prime a

Elgato 4k capture 

16 gb ddr 4

9 minutes ago, WhatAboutCrank said:

Is your PC hardware even capable of doing good 4k recording? What would you do it through? OBS or Shadowplay?

Buying a different motherboard likely isn't going to help you. Could always get a 1950X and not have to worry about anything

and what are you trying to capture that's 4k? an Xbone X?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

What PCIe slots did you use?

For screen recording inside Windows you can also use Shadowplay, directly through the graphics card.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

To be fair i would be recording in 1440p 60 hz. I have tried it with xcom 2 CPU stays around 50-60% usage. I assume would be a bit better with the Video card working. Currently using OBS. I am capturing my gaming PC. 

with both 4k and video card I used every configuration available with the 3 pcie 16X. With just the capture card I used the top 16x PCIE lane.

I

8 minutes ago, WhatAboutCrank said:

To be fair i would be recording in 1440p 60 hz. I have tried it with xcom 2 CPU stays around 50-60% usage. I assume would be a bit better with the Video card working. Currently using OBS. I am capturing my gaming PC. 

Is this your gaming PC? Or do you have a primary PC?

OBS will only use your CPU or GPU

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

Is this your gaming PC? Or do you have a primary PC?

I have a gaming PC and a streaming PC. I use the capture card to capture from my gaming PC to the streaming PC.  The specs listed above are for my streaming pc hope this clarified. 

3 minutes ago, WhatAboutCrank said:

I have a gaming PC and a streaming PC. I use the capture card to capture from my gaming PC to the streaming PC.  The specs listed above are for my streaming pc hope this clarified. 

Then just remove the GPU because you don't need it if you're using OBS on the CPU side of things

Also what are your recording settings? And why go through the trouble of a 4k capture card instead of just a 1080p capture card? You can also just use Intel Quick sync to get some use out of the iGPU, don't know what it's limitations are

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Then just remove the GPU because you don't need it if you're using OBS on the CPU side of things

Also what are you recording settings? And why go through the trouble of a 4k capture card instead of just a 1080p capture card?

You don't think there are any mobos that would be compatible with my current set up? Replacing mine right now would not really be a problem at all.

Well I currently have a 1440p 144hz monitor that i have had to set to 1080p for 5 months since i have been streaming. Its actually a well known problem that capturing from a gaming pc to a streaming pc while cloning or extending the capture device to another monitor then down sampling the resolution  to the capture device from 1440p to 1080p has allot of screen tearing and artifacting issues. I basically had to wait till an "affordable" capture card was released.  

1 minute ago, WhatAboutCrank said:

Your PCI-e count is going to be the same, could always sell it for a 1900X system, then you'd never have to worry about PCI-e lanes

Why didn't you just downscale from 1440p to like top tier 720p then? it would scale just fine.

Spoiler

It really didn't matter the resolution or refresh rate when forcing to the 1080p capture device. The problem was that when cloning the monitor the native monitors resolution is being down sampled. When extending the capture device and setting it up as a second monitor then using a second obs to extend the image from monitor 1 to monitor 2 would also have issues. it just came down to the native monitor resolution that was the problem so i had to set my 1440p monitor to 1080 for my capture device to not have problems. 

4 minutes ago, WhatAboutCrank said:

What's the CPU in the main PC?

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, WhatAboutCrank said:

In the gaming PC i5 7600k 

Should just stick the i7 in it and use Intel Quick sync or Shadowplay to stream

Or just switch OBS to use the GPU

I'm not sure why you want a secondary streaming PC when it's unnecessary?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, WhatAboutCrank said:

ok

Here's a 7700K streaming benchmark

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Here's a 7700K streaming benchmark

Did he mention recording and streaming?

Just now, WhatAboutCrank said:

Did he mention recording and streaming?

It should be same load I'd imagine?

Spoiler