I made a site to manage all your gaming/overclocking benchmarks. Tell me what you think?

Method

Hoping this is allowed, as I really need feedback on this. I've reached out to teksyndicate and paulshardware and they both said the project looks interesting but never got back to me in detail and as far as I can tell, never really used it once. Other reviewers I reached out to never got back to me.

I have some bigger plans for this project, if it ends up that it's useful for tech reviewers or heavy benchmarkers/overclockers. Without further ado, here's the site: https://comparebench.com

Right now, it supports 3DMark Ultra (the 4k one), Cinebench (you type in the number itself) and Unigine Heaven html export files. All benchmarks require you submit a CPU-Z validation file. This is to get hardware info about your system for further comparisons.

Basically, the idea is you create a "benchmark profile", which contains a bunch of info about your build, and as many benchmarks results as you have. This will create a single "profile" of sorts that you can then compare with _another_ profile. Doing it this way makes it easy to compare with an upgrade you just completed, or with a friend. All benchmarks are stored so you don't have to worry about fumbling around with various benchmark files.

Once you've created a benchmark profile, you can then compare that with another. Right now the easiest way to do this is with profiles on your own account. You _can_ technically compare with the other public benchmarks in the "browse" section, but that's very early stages and doesn't work very well.

The process of getting benchmark information via cpu-z or 3dmark requires the use of a web crawler, which at the moment _also_ is a bit finicky at times.

You can check out an example comparison here: https://comparebench.com/compare/35 It's very early days so the format and how this page looks will evolve for sure.

Disclaimer, I realize the graphs are comically disproportionate. I'm working on closing the gap between metrics.

Sidenote: If anyone has interest in contributing to this project, feel free to pm me. I'd ask that you already have decent experience in python or javascript, and be at least 18. Biggest thing I need is someone to work on UI/UX. Discussion here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/895743-looking-for-a-javascriptui-developer

Discord: https://discord.gg/V3nRgYA

CPU: Ryzen 5800X | GPU: RTX 3080 FE | Board: x570 Aorus Master | RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ | Case: Phanteks 719

This could be pretty nice tbh, would be great if you could like on pcpp just get a auto generated text you could copy pasta all over the web  

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

This could be pretty nice tbh, would be great if you could like on pcpp just get a auto generated text you could copy pasta all over the web  

What text would be generated?

Also, I do plan on having embeddable graphs and the like. You _can_ grab the url from a created comparison and hand that out, otherwise.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X | GPU: RTX 3080 FE | Board: x570 Aorus Master | RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ | Case: Phanteks 719

4 minutes ago, Method said:

What text would be generated?

Also, I do plan on having embeddable graphs and the like. You _can_ grab the url from a created comparison and hand that out, otherwise.

Just like: 

Benchmark name(resolution or whatever): benchmark score

And just have all the benchmarks you uploaded scores for listed like that, and then you can paste that and a pcpp link to your build and all your bragging is done in seconds xD

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

Just like: 

Benchmark name(resolution or whatever): benchmark score

And just have all the benchmarks you uploaded scores for listed like that, and then you can paste that and a pcpp link to your build and all your bragging is done in seconds xD

Ah ok, so a means of sharing the benchmarks themselves more easily, not just a comparison of them. Good idea :)

2 hours ago, Method said:

Ah ok, so a means of sharing the benchmarks themselves more easily, not just a comparison of them. Good idea :)

Yah, it would be super nice if we could have some place to collect and share all our benches with just a few clicks

Builds:

Spoiler

With Meltdown and Specter spaghetti fixes being implemented, how about tracking performance changes resulting from update (firmware, OS) changes?  Also, how about putting together and hosting on the site some sorta presentation for how to use the site?

7 hours ago, MikeSK said:

With Meltdown and Specter spaghetti fixes being implemented, how about tracking performance changes resulting from update (firmware, OS) changes?  Also, how about putting together and hosting on the site some sorta presentation for how to use the site?

I plan on overhauling how benchmarks are created, with a more step-by-step approach (or an "advanced" view which will show what it currently does)

As for tracking meltdown/spectre, that's up to the user. They would need to run benchmarks before and after, and then create the benchmark profiles accordingly.

A longer term goal is to have a desktop application that'll run a suite of tools for you, and send them up to comparebench, but that's currently out of my knowledge so, hoping to find someone to help with that.

Does your tool have fields to track the updates to help document the performance before and after?

19 minutes ago, MikeSK said:

Does your tool have fields to track the updates to help document the performance before and after?

I think you misunderstand how it works. I'll give a rundown here and maybe add it to my op.

Basically, when you add a benchmark, you're creating a single benchmark profile for your entire build that shows its performance at that moment. Think of it as a snapshot of your rigs performance. That profile will show specs, cinebench score, 3dmark scores, etc. 

So, lets say you're upgrading your gpu. You create a benchmark profile before putting in the new gpu. You run 3dmark and whatnot to get scores and you have a "before upgrade" profile. Then, you install your gpu and create a whole new benchmark profile after re-running those benchmarks on the new gpu.

At this point, you have 2 benchmark profiles, a before and after. You can then use the Compare tool to compare your existing benchmark profiles. See image below.

AUFbpoF.png?1

Once you fill that out and hit Submit, you'll get a comparison page.

FVhS9os.png?1

As you can see however, some of the labels aren't accurate. The GPU labels still show cpu. Bits of polish like that are sort of in the works. 

Thats basically how the tool works. Eventually (and maybe I'll put a roadmap together) this comparison page will be more fleshed out to show more comparable metrics, and options to embed certain graphs or other data elsewhere (along with sharing links etc)

You are making a site where you can upload your stats to your profile.  Once uploaded, you can generate comparison reports between the stats you uploaded.  

I was hoping to see snap shots for a system.
Time,Alias,Description, CPU,CPU_stats,GPU,GPU_stats,FPS,Mother _Board,MB_stats, OS ...

To make it really useful and more flexible, some of the stats would have to be in an associated table due to their multiple entries.  Example: One or more video cards.  When you select a snap shots for comparison, it would generate a report/graph each stat grouping common to all snap shots selected.  This would allow for users to have as much detail as they like and allow for more informative trend reporting.

I was actually just thinking something like this would be cool, and wondered if it existed. 

I'll remember this if it comes up in conversation. Good name for the site too. Not abstract!!!

I went to your web site to try it out for myself... And I think I broke your site. 9_9 I'm using the latest version of Firefox 64-Bit, no java installed, and I have an add blocker running. Hope this helps.

bench.png

Hm. Odd, I'll take a look.

Edit: Ah, I know the issue. I changed some database schema stuff around, and haven't updated live code to account for that.

That schema update fyi is going to let users upload 3dmark result files, rather than provide a url. I found a way to read 3dmark benchmark files, get literally all of the data out of them that you see in the app itself, going to be really cool.

13 hours ago, BLKBRDSR71 said:

I went to your web site to try it out for myself... And I think I broke your site. 9_9 I'm using the latest version of Firefox 64-Bit, no java installed, and I have an add blocker running. Hope this helps.

Ok, should be good to go now. Doesn't support 3dmark benchmarks right now till I can get the new system up and running.

• 2 weeks later...

As of now, the site fully supports 3DMark Firestrike Extreme and Ultra benchmarks. I've excluded standard Firestike benchmarks as those tend to not often be ran anyway. If you upload both files on the same benchmark, you'll see both scores like this:

VEHFns9m.png

You can, once I get around to it, also re-download your saved 3dmark benchmark if you want to re-import it back into 3dmark to viewing there.

On 2/5/2018 at 4:06 PM, Method said:

Ok, should be good to go now. Doesn't support 3dmark benchmarks right now till I can get the new system up and running.

Nope, attempting to signup generates the following error:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an unexpected internal server error

(generated by waitress)

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 2/19/2018 at 2:12 AM, kirashi said:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an unexpected internal server error

(generated by waitress)

Seems everyone can see it but you. Post your Windows (build number too), Firefox build number, all extensions that should help OP see what is happening. Also in case OP is doing it right with user error tracking, try again and then post the time you tried in UTC. 

I know those help me debug my sites so likely will help OP

2 hours ago, KirbyTech said:

Seems everyone can see it but you. Post your Windows (build number too), Firefox build number, all extensions that should help OP see what is happening. Also in case OP is doing it right with user error tracking, try again and then post the time you tried in UTC. 

I know those help me debug my sites so likely will help OP

Windows Build will not be important since I'm using Chrome Version 64.0.3282.167 (Official Build) (64-bit) and not Edge or Internet Explorer. Also have a shitload of extensions installed that never cause problems on other sites. When trying to register with any email/password combination, the 500 Internal Server Error happens. The site loads fine for me, and I can view other people's benchmarks - it's just the signup process that's broken. OP should check the error_log file generated by the server, if enabled.

I do Web Development & IT Consulting for a living, so I can certainly provide as much information as OP needs, but since it's an HTTP 500 Internal Server Error, this is a fault with code (PHP or otherwise) running on the server itself, or possibly session cookies being set by code on the server but not read correctly, for instance.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

5 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Windows Build will not be important since I'm using Chrome Version 64.0.3282.167 (Official Build) (64-bit) and not Edge or Internet Explorer. Also have a shitload of extensions installed that never cause problems on other sites. When trying to register with any email/password combination, the 500 Internal Server Error happens. The site loads fine for me, and I can view other people's benchmarks - it's just the signup process that's broken. OP should check the error_log file generated by the server, if enabled.

I do Web Development & IT Consulting for a living, so I can certainly provide as much information as OP needs, but since it's an HTTP 500 Internal Server Error, this is a fault with code (PHP or otherwise) running on the server itself, or possibly session cookies being set by code on the server but not read correctly, for instance.

Oh I didn't notice it was a 500 error.. my bad 

On 2/19/2018 at 2:12 AM, kirashi said:

Fixed now, surprised this didn't show up sooner. Basically the html file we send to your email, the location for it was incorrect. Try logging in now.

1 hour ago, Method said:

Fixed now, surprised this didn't show up sooner. Basically the html file we send to your email, the location for it was incorrect. Try logging in now.

Awesome! Working now to register. My only recommendations for improvement right now would be a proper profile / username system, and supporting passwords longer than 15 characters in length, but I realize it's a work in progress, so I'll check back on it over time to see how you make out with it. :) 

1 hour ago, kirashi said:

Awesome! Working now to register. My only recommendations for improvement right now would be a proper profile / username system, and supporting passwords longer than 15 characters in length, but I realize it's a work in progress, so I'll check back on it over time to see how you make out with it. :) 

I can increase password limit, figured 15 would be long enough but, welp. 

As for proper profile system, totally. Technically you can't even log out lol. The arrow next to name is supposed to drop down but that isn't working. /logout works but no button to actually push that front-end wise. I had another project that had that more fleshed out that I've been grabbing bits and pieces from, user profile system is one of those things that's been on the backburner for a while.

As a general update also, I'm going to be changing benchmark creation a bit. It'll no longer require a CPU-Z validation url, but instead a CPUZ html export. A couple reasons for this. 

• Requiring a cpuz validation url means that creating benchmarks hinges on that website staying online.
  • Crawling that page is cumbersome, both infrastructurally and logically.
  • The html export can be scraped for data much, much faster, so no waiting around for the cpuz crawler to do its job.

I'm also going to be putting up a roadmap page on the site itself, and be posting updates regularly to the twitter account.

I went to browse results, and went to the search and typed “i5” and pressed the return key on my iPhone but nothing was happening. 

Does the search feature work? Maybe add an additional button to search Incase mobile users have issues like I have. 

5 minutes ago, fpo said:

I went to browse results, and went to the search and typed “i5” and pressed the return key on my iPhone but nothing was happening. 

Does the search feature work? Maybe add an additional button to search Incase mobile users have issues like I have. 

Search is a little wonky at the moment, but also, there's only a handful of results anyway. Everything you see on that page is the entire list of public benchmarks.