Intel SSD possible bug?

Nuytens

Hello all

Today working at our shop we have our fifth Intel SSD that is completely wiped empty. 

Customer comes in and tells us  his PC doesn't boot anymore.

When we check the SSD's, it still has the volume on it but just clean without data. 

Anybody here noticing the same trend? 

Doesn't look like a coincidence with 5 SSD's allready on the same day

- 6 x 530 series

- 1 x 335 series

*Edit 27/01 14:32 another 530 series empty - from 4 to 5 x 530 Series SSD's

*Edit 27/01 14:45 another 530 series empty - from 5 to 6 x 530 Series SSD's

The last 2 of them have no volumes, when running tests with the toolbox they also come up with no errors.

So you think you have put stuff on the SSDs, but when you go back later, it is still formatted with an empty volume? If it were a hardware or firmware problem, I'd expect it to be all or nothing, as in, unpartitioned. Without knowing what you're doing, it seems a more likely explanation is something you're doing is causing it than a fault with the SSD itself.

Do Intel still do their SSD utility? If so, get it, let it check it and also see if there are any firmware updates.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

So you think you have put stuff on the SSDs, but when you go back later, it is still formatted with an empty volume? If it were a hardware or firmware problem, I'd expect it to be all or nothing, as in, unpartitioned. Without knowing what you're doing, it seems a more likely explanation is something you're doing is causing it than a fault with the SSD itself.

Do Intel still do their SSD utility? If so, get it, let it check it and also see if there are any firmware updates.

These PC's come in because they can't boot, when we check the SSD's there is no data on it.

It's nothing we are doing, we just connected them to 2 different testpc's and the same problem.
We have no idea this is a Intel bug or maybe Windows, but since it's only Intel for now it seems more likely to be Intel.

When we check the SSD's with the toolbox all of them are clean without error's.

So you haven't actually seen it disappear yourself, it is the customer report only? If they are all from the same customer, maybe they are doing something, or maybe some kind of malware might do that? If lots of different customers, that would be different of course. Pure guessing. If I'm not mistaken, those SSDs would mostly be some years old now, although I'm not sure if or how that might figure into this.

In the past there have been SSD bugs before, I had a Crucial drive that would crash every hour once it had been on greater than some number of hours, due to bad code reading a timer. Fortunately that was discovered before my drive got old enough, and a firmware update fixed it before it could happen.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, porina said:

So you haven't actually seen it disappear yourself, it is the customer report only? If they are all from the same customer, maybe they are doing something, or maybe some kind of malware might do that? If lots of different customers, that would be different of course. Pure guessing. If I'm not mistaken, those SSDs would mostly be some years old now, although I'm not sure if or how that might figure into this.

In the past there have been SSD bugs before, I had a Crucial drive that would crash every hour once it had been on greater than some number of hours, due to bad code reading a timer. Fortunately that was discovered before my drive got old enough, and a firmware update fixed it before it could happen.

No, they come in and are wiped allready, customer has no idea what happend.

Yes, they are all older versions and also from different customers so :S