What are the features of a CRT TV and a CRT Monitor?

Zero Fox

I am asking to get some things clear, i have read in LTT video's comments things like "CRT refresh at 144Hz" and "CRT can show Absolute Black", as far as i know those fatcs aren't true.

I have a Technomaster KS29EK601L2, a CRT TV that i still use to play previous gen consoles, the TV can switch between 50Hz and 60Hz on PAL mode and stays at 60Hz on NTSC mode, even on black screens the TV stills litghs up so it's not capable of showing Absolute Blacks.

Those are misunderstandings or there are models of CRT that can provide such features?

4 minutes ago, Zero Fox said:

"CRT refresh at 144Hz" and "CRT can show Absolute Black", as far as i know those fatcs aren't true.

its-true-all-of-it.jpg

models of CRT that can provide such features?

Presumably this

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I am asking to get some things clear, i have read in LTT video's comments things like "CRT refresh at 144Hz" and "CRT can show Absolute Black", as far as i know those fatcs aren't true.

I have a Technomaster KS29EK601L2, a CRT TV that i still use to play previous gen consoles, the TV can switch between 50Hz and 60Hz on PAL mode and stays at 60Hz on NTSC mode, even on black screens the TV stills litghs up so it's not capable of showing Absolute Blacks.

Those are misunderstandings or there are models of CRT that can provide such features?

I think CRT refreshes even higher than 144.

The other one is true. 

It's true.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

essentially yea computer crt's were more advanced than any lcd tech up until recently when they were finally eclipsed by led tvs that can show true back and high resolutions , and a few monitors that can exceed a crts refresh rate.

But yea I own a 15 some odd year old crt monitor that is native 2560x1600 , shows true black (like most crts really) , and has a max refresh rate of 160hz.

CRT can refresh at ridiculous framerate, there were monitors that could do up to 240+ Hz at smaller resolutions like 800 x 600 for example.

The pure black / absolute black thing is like this... CRT screens work by having an electron gun spray electrons towards the front of the screen like a laser, heating up the phosphor on the glass which creates light in the back of a light filter (red, green or blue). So basically, light is produced like on OLED monitors, only that pixel is lit up.

Thing is as soon as the electron gun moves on to heat up the next pixels in the line or the next lines, the phosphor starts to cool down, so the pixel goes down in brigthtness, and that's why there was a need for high refresh rates (that's why it was recommended at least 85 Hz for CRT monitors, otherwise human eyes would perceive that oscillation in brightness as flicker and would give you headaches)

So in reality, the higher the refresh rate, the less often piexels will fade out completely to black (if you switch between some color and black for some pixel on the CRT monitor)... but nevertheless, the pixels on crt monitors are black.

LCD monitors work by having some light in the back of the whole panel and when you want a pixel to show some color, you turn the cell for that color (red, green, or blue part of the pixel) to some degree of transparency and this way some amount of light from the back of the LCD screen passes through the cell and creates the color. 

But, it's impossible to make these cells 100% opaque so some amount of light passes through the lcd panel and that's why lcd screens are slightly grayish.