Ek d5 pump res combo drain port location question.

What the actual hell. Backplate off = seemingly working computer that turns on. Backplate on =dead pc

Uploaded a backplate picture with the pads

15174456129152139275983.jpg

9 minutes ago, MoonFrost said:

What the actual hell. Backplate off = seemingly working computer that turns on. Backplate on =dead pc

Uploaded a backplate picture with the pads

CAn you try screwing the block down without the backplate? Just to confirm it is indeed the backplate and not the act of screwing down the peripheral screws. If it is the act of screwing down, then you will have to dissassemble the block.

May be a revision for backplate mounting for that card, or the block is on wrong and putting the backplate on is causing enough flex to cause an actual issue.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

20 minutes ago, For Science! said:

CAn you try screwing the block down without the backplate? Just to confirm it is indeed the backplate and not the act of screwing down the peripheral screws. If it is the act of screwing down, then you will have to dissassemble the block.

So I had the block screwed on. I decided to lay the backplate on the card while it was installed and it worked. Went to screw down the backplate, it no work...

5 minutes ago, MoonFrost said:

So I had the block screwed on. I decided to lay the backplate on the card while it was installed and it worked. Went to screw down the backplate, it no work...

Untitledsss.thumb.png.6e763b8b36ccfc414ae9f0c6406687e0.pngIs this grease patch circled in red where the thermal pad lines up? If so can you move it a click to the left so it actually sits ontop of the SMCs (circled in blue). I know that where you have it now is how it is in the manual, but I wonder if the blackplate is touching the SMCs and causing a short. Worth a shot anyway.

If you don't want to do it, contact EK and just use without backplate for now,.

19 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Untitledsss.thumb.png.6e763b8b36ccfc414ae9f0c6406687e0.pngIs this grease patch circled in red where the thermal pad lines up? If so can you move it a click to the left so it actually sits ontop of the SMCs (circled in blue). I know that where you have it now is how it is in the manual, but I wonder if the blackplate is touching the SMCs and causing a short. Worth a shot anyway.

If you don't want to do it, contact EK and just use without backplate for now,.

I'm contacting ek now, guess I'll wait for a response. Ugh thanks for the help, I was also curious what the hell those pads were supposed to be touching

9 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Goodluck, im going to bed :)

Thanks again. I'll update when ek gets back to me

3 hours ago, For Science! said:

Goodluck, im going to bed :)

Thanks again. I'll update when ek gets back to me

Small update. I ran my computer, got all the settings setup like pump speed, disabling cpu fan monitoring in bios, etc etc. 

I'm still waiting to hear back from ek. For now, I put 6 plastic washers that came with my backplate, and placed them between the pcb and the backplate. Instructions says nothing about this but it seems to be working now. 

The 1 screw it did tell me to use a washer for, the screw doesn't go in, so that's empty. 

The M2.5x4 screw is the one that wouldnt to in. Seems secure without it. The other 6 have the plastic washer

151746378035528976962.jpg

update: EK got back to me and said nothing about that picture of thermal pad and what it was touching.

They asked if I used plastic washers, and I told them what I did, and that the instructions make no mention of them.

atm im fiddlign with fan speeds. Right now I have my pump in bios to 50 or 60%, and fan speeds at a curve tied to gpu. Not sure what people do with their fans settings. I have the corsair commander pro. Any suggestions? Right now its 30s at idle for cpu and gpu, in game I have it balancing out 60C on CPU and 45C or graphics card with around 1600rpm on my HD120 fans (3 in front rad, 2 on top, 1 loner in the back)

Also, when I go to open a browser or something, my cpu spikes up a tad then back down, unno if thats normal or not.

5 hours ago, MoonFrost said:

Also, when I go to open a browser or something, my cpu spikes up a tad then back down, unno if thats normal or not.

Yes, that's normal.

Anytime you see a quick spike in CPU activity, you're likely to also see a quick spike in the reported temperatures.

I have CoreTemp running at all times to keep an eye on the CPU temps.

My idle temps vary between 26-32 depending on how cold the room is.

And CoreTemp will report a spike into the mid 40s whenever there's a sudden burst of CPU usage.

Since it goes back down just as quickly, my guess is that it's just a quirk of the temperature reporting.

EDIT: To confirm what @For Science! said bellow, my CPU is not delidded.

Edited by PrimeSonic
Adding a useful detail

---

The fact that washers help means the backplate is indeed touching something. My money still on the SMCs.

I tie my fan speed to the coolant temperature using a 2-pin temperature sensor.

CPU spiking is normal, especially if your CPU is not delidded.

9 hours ago, For Science! said:

The fact that washers help means the backplate is indeed touching something. My money still on the SMCs.

I tie my fan speed to the coolant temperature using a 2-pin temperature sensor.

CPU spiking is normal, especially if your CPU is not delidded.

I don't have it delidded. I wonder if I'll be able to overclock this someday... That's too bad. I don't really want to go over 70C in games on water, oh well. It's more than enough for now. 

I don't understand how shorts work.. What are the chances I damaged some by trying to turn it on with a short around 10 times.. 

I was playing some overwatch for an hour or 2 last night with no issues, while I was fiddling with fan curves.