why does Linus like raid 5?

ghost001985

Do to the growing sizes of hard drives we know, or at least should know, that raid 5 is obsolete. But in most of LTT videos Linus like to go with raid 5/50. Understandably you'll lose more space with raid 6 or 7 do to parity, but its so much safer.

It comes down to what's more important. Speed or redundancy. Personally I think RAID6 is a nice blend of both (running an 8 drive raid6) I see transfer rates up to 550~600MB/s (albeit not always stable & sometimes dropping to the mid 400's). I have not tested what real world performance difference is made comparing RAID5/6/7 because you're not just losing a drives worth of speed to redundancy but for each parody drive is an extra step the CPU must take which will further reduce performance. This might be worth testing to let people know the real world expectations of each and if RAID5 is worth the boost when working with >3 drives.

RAID 7? Isn't that proprietary? 

Linus likes RAID 5 (and presumably 6) since they offer better performance than RAID 1 while also offering more redundancy. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

It comes down to what's more important. Speed or redundancy. Personally I think RAID6 is a nice blend of both (running an 8 drive raid6) I see transfer rates up to 550~600MB/s (albeit not always stable & sometimes dropping to the mid 400's). I have not tested what real world performance difference is made comparing RAID5/6/7 because you're not just losing a drives worth of speed to redundancy but for each parody drive is an extra step the CPU must take which will further reduce performance. This might be worth testing to let people know the real world expectations of each and if RAID5 is worth the boost when working with >3 drives.

yea i personally run a raid 6 myself. and i would like to see the raids tested 5/6/7/50/60/70..

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

RAID 7? Isn't that proprietary? 

Linus likes RAID 5 (and presumably 6) since they offer better performance than RAID 1 while also offering more redundancy. 

no zfs does a raid 7.

Im considering buying a second 2 tb hdd and using it with my current one as a redundant storage, what do you recommend?

I have a 1tb ssd as the main drive and would like to use the backups as well, backups

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Im considering buying a second 2 tb hdd and using it with my current one as a redundant storage, what do you recommend?

I have a 1tb ssd as the main drive and would like to use the backups as well, backups

if you only have 2 "2tb" hard drives you can only mirror them.

raid 5 = 3 drives

raid 6 = 4 drives

raid 7 = 5 drives

Just now, ghost001985 said:

if you only have 2 "2tb" hard drives you can only mirror them.

raid 5 = 3 drives

raid 6 = 4 drives

raid 7 = 5 drives

I actually only have 2 drives right now, an oem samsung nvme (960gb) and a 7200rpm 2tb barracuda.

I'm trying to find a method to have some sort of backup that copies my ssd to and hdd and then updates it daily/weekly so if the ssd croaks I don't lose everything

Just now, Damascus said:

I actually only have 2 drives right now, an oem samsung nvme (960gb) and a 7200rpm 2tb barracuda.

I'm trying to find a method to have some sort of backup that copies my ssd to and hdd and then updates it daily/weekly so if the ssd croaks I don't lose everything

then you cant even mirror. so you'll have to do a windows backups.

10 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Theres lots of apps to do this.....Symantec Ghost is one of the really old ones that used to be good......haven't really looked into them in a while, and I quite often use bash scripting in Linux, so no real need for a third party addon

Raid 0 4eva.

20 minutes ago, ghost001985 said:

then you cant even mirror. so you'll have to do a windows backups.

As I said in my first post I'm thinking of buying more drives

Just now, Damascus said:

As I said in my first post I'm thinking of buying more drives

then i would recommend 3 "2tb" in a raid 5. its only when you get into the 8,10,12 tb drives that raid 5 becomes obsolete.

Just now, ghost001985 said:

then i would recommend 3 "2tb" in a raid 5. its only when you get into the 8,10,12 tb drives that raid 5 becomes obsolete.

Long term project anyways, thanks for the info

24 minutes ago, ghost001985 said:

yes 24 nvme raid 0!

You'll lose your data faster than Linus loses his mind 

idk

1 hour ago, ghost001985 said:

Do to the growing sizes of hard drives we know, or at least should know, that raid 5 is obsolete.

RAID 5 is fine, especially at consumer level. The risk is still extremely low.

Regarding the question in the title, though, I don't think he likes RAID 5: he likes unRAID, which he has invested in, and implements RAID 4, not 5.

Just now, Droidbot said:

You'll lose your data faster than Linus loses his mind 

true. but its ok to dream

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

RAID 5 is fine, especially at consumer level. The risk is still extremely low.

Regarding the question in the title, though, I don't think he likes RAID 5: he likes unRAID, which he has invested in, and implements RAID 4, not 5.

but we arent talking "consumer level" when it comes to 1pb project. i dont think he say which raid is used.

and like i told Damascus its only when you get into the 8,10,12 tb drives that raid 5 becomes obsolete.

2 minutes ago, ghost001985 said:

but we arent talking "consumer level" when it comes to 1pb project. i dont think he say which raid is used.

If he didn't say, then what is the question?

Anyway, as I said, my money would be on unRAID when it comes to Linus :P 

(Just to clarify, I said "consumers" because most often we see him RAID in projects as 2 gamers 1 CPU and similar smaller projects. He did explicitly said he used unRAID for iJustine's server).

2 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

If he didn't say, then what is the question?

we know Whonnock was a raid 50.

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

RIP :P 

admittedly i could be wrong 1pb project could be a higher raid. but like Windows7ge said i would like to see the performance differences in each of the raids.

For performance, RAID10 any day of the week. The IOPS are pretty insane, albeit at the cost of some disk space. For pure safety, yeah, can't argue with RAID6.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro