What cpu heatsink is best for me

I have a pc at home for gaming and internet browsing, currently using a normal intel stock cooler, however, saw recently that it is heating quite dangerously after installing NZXT cam software to see it's temp, while gaming, my cpu will sometimes run at around 84 degrees Celsius. I am using an Intel core i7 6700k running at 4000 MHz stock frequency on a msi z170a PC mate motherboard inside of an old silverstone TJ07 2005 model case. Please keep in mind I have a low income right now, so please keep the recommendations within the 150USD or less range

How big a rad do you think you can fit in that case?

If you tell me that my forum post is in the wrong location............ I'll hunt you down and....

Hyper 212 evo could work, as long as the case has clearance.

Kubuntu 22.10

Ryzen 7 5700X

RX 6700 XT

Cryorig H7, Dark Rock Pro 3/4, or AIO?

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

11 minutes ago, XzunderX said:

How big a rad do you think you can fit in that case?

i don't know, but I do know it has 2 molex powered 120 mm fans at the top of the case for exhaust that i was planning on replacing when I got a hub

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CW-9060025-WW-Radiator-Advanced-Lighting/dp/B019EXSSBG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516846156&sr=8-1&keywords=h100i

Is in your budget but you can go much cheaper (Like half of what that costs) and still get a really good cooler that you could do some overclocking with even.

Did you want an AIO or aircooler?

If you tell me that my forum post is in the wrong location............ I'll hunt you down and....

I don

1 minute ago, XzunderX said:

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CW-9060025-WW-Radiator-Advanced-Lighting/dp/B019EXSSBG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516846156&sr=8-1&keywords=h100i

Is in your budget but you can go much cheaper (Like half of what that costs) and still get a really good cooler that you could do some overclocking with even.

Did you want an AIO or aircooler?

I don't know, from what I've read on both, air might be a better option, because if a fan goes, I'd still at least have the mass of the heatsink whereas on an aio if the pump fails I'm screwed until it's replaced

Cryorig H5 is pretty great. Dark Rock Pro 3 if you can fit it and have the budget. Cryorig H7 if you want something cheaper.

Shown from information regarding the case, it claims support for a 480mm water cooler (If you don't have a PSU) and 162mm for a standard air cooler.

In reality, the most I'd push the water cooling is a 240mm.

As far as air cooling goes - if you want cheap, go with the Hyper 212 Evo at 28 USD (159mm) or Hyper 212 LED at $20 (including discount) (160mm).

If you're willing to spend more, I'd take a serious look at the following:

• Dark Rock Pro 3 @ 90 USD (163mm) or Dark Rock 3 @ 75 USD ( 160mm) (temperature differences shown here)
  • Noctua D-15, D-15S, D-14 @ 90, 80, 80 USD: Height: 165, 160, 160. Although the D-15 is shown as 165mm, a bit too tall, I'd believe that the height is caused by thr140mm fan - and you should just be able to lower it. If you want to play it safe with height, go with the D14 instead of the D-15.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

What ram are you using?

Are you planning to oc?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What ram are you using?

Are you planning to oc?

I am using patriot memory, and to be honest I'd like to avoid overclocking myself, but probably will OC my parts when the time comes that they don't work too good

1 hour ago, paulbean150 said:

I am using patriot memory, and to be honest I'd like to avoid overclocking myself, but probably will OC my parts when the time comes that they don't work too good

What's the ram model name?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

For starters, $150 is big budget when it comes to air coolers. You can pick anything you like (and which would fit in case and with RAM). Considering the king, Noctua D15, and overpriced, CoolerMaster MasterAir Maker 8, both would fit to budget.

I would say go for midrange or lower midrange. Pure Rock might be best pick.

13 hours ago, Imbellis said:

... go with the Hyper 212 Evo at 28 USD (159mm) or Hyper 212 LED at $20 (including discount) (160mm).

Those are essentially same heatsink with different fans. So both are 158mm tall and CM is just playing it safe.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What's the ram model name?

IDK, here are a few pictures of my ram and the rest of my pc, if that helps at all

IMG_4102[1].JPG

IMG_4103[1].JPG

IMG_4104[1].JPG

IMG_4105[1].JPG

IMG_4106[1].JPG

Sorry to anyone helping me out with this, my pc is a prebuilt that i have been slowly upgrading over the last year since I've bought it, I upgraded to the TJ07 and the PSU visible in the pics, so please try to keep the tech lingo within the normal noobs understanding

4 hours ago, paulbean150 said:

IDK, here are a few pictures of my ram and the rest of my pc, if that helps at all

It looks like standard height ram so clearance wouldn't be an issue for pretty much any cooler. 

I recommend the Kotetsu: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7998TW/scythe-cpu-cooler-scktt1000

49 minutes ago, paulbean150 said:

any particular reason you recommend that one, price? noise level? performance?

All of those reasons. It's similar to the NH-U12S while being much cheaper. The biggest difference is in the mounting hardware.