[Windows 10] Autostarting apps

Go to solution Solved by zifoduk,
22 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Ahh... MS at its best....

Change system region from your country to US (Settings > Time & Language > Region & language), restart, and now look at Cortana notebook options.

It should show up. Once disabled, you should be able to switch back the region to yours, and you should be fine after (or leave it to US, but the Store will show US pricing).

If that works, let me know, and i'll file a bug report to the Feedback Hub for you, hopefully it will be fixed by the next version of Windows 10

image.png.ca582ceabae070db9ed87140068dedbc.png

Okay bro got it to work, requires changing the region to US in the settings then clicking on the cortana thing in the bottom bar then turning "Pick up where you left off" Off.

Great success

Okay, so ive had the latest update windows 1709 and there's this new thing its doing.
For some reason, if i shutdown my pc while windows are open and then boot up and log in again, it seems to automatically launch the programs which were previously opened when i shut it down.
Its causing my start up times to be really slow and it also results in unnecessary programs loading up which i no longer need to see.
i have been unable to find a solution online as i think i may be searching the wrong key terms. If anyone can assist that would be great.

ps I have no programs installed that would cause this to occur.

It's a stupid new feature.

Before shutting down, need to close off those programs.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

It's a stupid new feature.

Before shutting down, need to close off those programs.

Does it occur with you? because i normally just forget that it happens and just shut down in a rush. And can you disable it?

ooooh crap. Now you mention it, that has happened to me before where I shut down with chrome being open and it opened when i logged in. For some reason, it doesn't always happen to me...

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

8 minutes ago, zifoduk said:

Does it occur with you? because i normally just forget that it happens and just shut down in a rush. And can you disable it?

Yes it does for me too. So far this feature cannot be disable of the option for it isn't discovered yet. There is a feature called "Improved Boot up experience" But that only has to do with automatic login, has nothing to do with this annoying autostarting of programs.

Let's say I have FireFox open when I shutdown. When I power my system back on and login, FireFox will immediately open back up.

Now if I close off FireFox and then shutdown. FireFox will not automatically relaunch after I turn on my system.

I know that OSX has this feature too, but they do have a option to disable it in the shutdown dialogue box.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Seems to only be happening to programs that don't require UAC to launch.

this my friends is one of the reasons i killed every single way my computer can update.

it is possible to go back an update if you really need to.  Settings>updates>recovery>go back to earlier build

important notes about this method:

• update has to be less than 10 days ago
  • it says you will lose new programs
  • im not sure if the same applies to files
  • the update might come back

Just now, greenwolf24 said:

this my friends is one of the reasons i killed every single way my computer can update.

it is possible to go back an update if you really need to.  Settings>updates>recovery>go back to earlier build

important notes about this method:

• update has to be less than 10 days ago
  • it says you will lose new programs
  • im not sure if the same applies to files
  • the update might come back

my friend i would rather try find some dodgy fix instead of rolling back an update, i like some of the features of the latest build anyway. Expect this stupid one..... Any other options i could use to fix this?

2 minutes ago, DarthVader61425 said:

Have you tried disabling the applications that start in task manager>startup ?

Bro i have, but it still happens, this is what my start manager is like.. The program there is a issue im having with microsoft visual studio not part of the actual problem

image.png.430e83161e737586dc60911f32977236.png

The feature is called "Pick up where you left off". It is enabled by default.

You can disable it by going to Cortana > Notebook > Pick up where you left off > turn 'Off' and hit Save (don't forget the Save button!).

The idea of the feature is to get you back up and running to what you were working before, before restarting or shutdown, to help you be productive.

There is no fix for the dumb feature. Maybe in their next build? This is the problem when you hire mobile engineers to work on a god damn OS.

Found this workaround fix

https://www.icttoolbox.nl/how-to/stop-windows-10-creator-fall-reopening-programs-reboot/

A editorial on it

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3250485/microsoft-windows/win10-1709-s-most-irksome-feature-programs-come-back-from-the-dead.html

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

You can disable it by going to Cortana > Notebook > Pick up where you left off > turn 'Off' and hit Save (don't forget the Save button!).

I don't have Cortana enabled and it still does this same thing.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

There is no fix for the dumb feature. Maybe in their next build? This is the problem when you hire mobile engineers to work on a god damn OS.

There is a fix, if you cared to READ

Just now, NumLock21 said:

I don't have Cortana enabled and it still does this same thing.

So enable it, and then disable that feature.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

There is a fix, if you cared to READ

I was still typing, when you ninja posted. :D

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

The idea of the feature is to get you back up and running to what you were working before, before restarting or shutdown, to help you be productive.

I cant find this menu. BTW im on a windows desktop. 
image.png.40f74a662420de79b195bd3a0e2b89c1.pngimage.png.98e273c6d4aad48aa4b17efdb0924018.png

Just now, zifoduk said:

My friend, this doesnt help only gives me work arounds not fixes

There is no fix, only workarounds.  As for that option, it only shows up when you have a Microsoft LIve Account. Useless for those that uses a local account.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

10 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Found this workaround fix

https://www.icttoolbox.nl/how-to/stop-windows-10-creator-fall-reopening-programs-reboot/

A editorial on it

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3250485/microsoft-windows/win10-1709-s-most-irksome-feature-programs-come-back-from-the-dead.html

Bro the first link apparently says it only works for users in the US, everywhere else is just kinda screwed. Im part of that everywhere else.

27 minutes ago, zifoduk said:

Bro the first link apparently says it only works for users in the US, everywhere else is just kinda screwed. Im part of that everywhere else.

Change system region from your country to US (Settings > Time & Language > Region & language), restart, and now look at Cortana notebook options.

It should show up. Once disabled, you should be able to switch back the region to yours, and you should be fine after (or leave it to US, but the Store will show US pricing).

If that works, let me know, and i'll file a bug report to the Feedback Hub for you, hopefully it will be fixed by the next version of Windows 10

13 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

And to be frank, I still don't understand why people whine about MS's Windows 10 operating system. Like even when it first came out, to today. Windows 10 is basically a Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 being combined with the best of both worlds. I mean, like Windows 7 was a massively improved version of Windows Vista. Give MS the benefit of the doubt, Windows 10 will improve and Windows XXXX will be out probably next year or 2020. Anyway, I love Windows 10 and the only thing that still bothers me is the lacking of Windows Aero... and that's a U.I.G. effect that's missing. So it doesn't actually hurt my experience with Windows 10, just a, "I only wish I could have Aero back for those dank ass transparency/*Glass* effects." 

Every version of Windows, they are complainers. people complained none stop by the lack of Classic gray look theme of Windows 7/Vista back with Win8 (beside the start screen, which, I understand).

But the problem with Windows 10, is Microsoft new direction. Yes, pushing Linux, open source is all great and exiting. Yes, it is amazing that MS follows a lot of feedback given through the feedback hub, like GPU stats in Task Manager, mass improvements of all the built-in apps, multiple desktop environment, quiet mode, more coming up.But the problem is that MS still ha its head stuck in "US only" for every feature in the Store, and Cortana, things are not properly tested before being released to the public, and consumers are pushed aside, and logic makes no sense at some places, like Android version of the Microsoft Mail app is better than the Windows very own Mail app. What?! Skype on Windows 10 is garbage, difficult to use and annoying under Windows 10, but great under Android and iOS... What?!

Microsoft doesn't take care very much of its own platform.

Anyway, this is a whole conversation, for a different topic, I am just super summarizing above to give you a quick answer.

22 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

image.png.ca582ceabae070db9ed87140068dedbc.png

Okay bro got it to work, requires changing the region to US in the settings then clicking on the cortana thing in the bottom bar then turning "Pick up where you left off" Off.

Great success