Need help finding the right CPU

Hello, I'm looking for a CPU to upgrade my system. I have a MSI 970 gaming board with 16GB of ram and a GTX 950. I've ran test and the only thing holding me back is the AMD FX-6300. It's water cooled but I don't want to risk screwing up anything trying to overclock it. I was looking at a AMD FX-8370 or a AMD FX 4350, just something with a little more power and at least 4GHz. I'm not that knowledgeable on components so I thought someone here might be able to help me. It's a AM3+ socket If that helps.

How much do you have to spend? It is probably much more worth it going to ryzen than upgrading a dead platform.

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

I just got most of the parts from a friend in august, I'm just looking for a upgrade cheaper than buying a whole new board and CPU  

3 minutes ago, green4101 said:

I just got most of the parts from a friend in august, I'm just looking for a upgrade cheaper than buying a whole new board and CPU  

If you're looking for a drop-in upgrade, the 8370 is about as good as it will get on the AM3+ socket. If you can save for a couple months, sell the 6300, board and ram and get something like an r5 1400 with 8gb of ram. Would smash any FX cpu for not much more money. 

8 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

How much do you have to spend? It is probably much more worth it going to ryzen than upgrading a dead platform.

I'm just looking at this point. side note is this how I reply? It's my first time here.

2 minutes ago, green4101 said:

I'm just looking at this point. side note is this how I reply? It's my first time here.

Yeah you figured it out, but a good $300 would buy you into the ryzen platform, maybe a bit more because of ram prices today.

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

4 minutes ago, JordRidesBikes said:

If you're looking for a drop-in upgrade, the 8370 is about as good as it will get on the AM3+ socket. If you can save for a couple months, sell the 6300, board and ram and get something like an r5 1400 with 8gb of ram. Would smash any FX cpu for not much more money. 

What about the FX-8350? I can find that for around $115, would that be an upgrade from my current?

2 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

Yeah you figured it out, but a good $300 would buy you into the ryzen platform, maybe a bit more because of ram prices today.

I'm just sticking with what I got because of the inflated prices nowadays.

Just now, green4101 said:

What about the FX-8350? I can find that for around $115, would that be an upgrade from my current?

It would be an upgrade, but not a brilliant one. The whole 8320/8350/8370 are all basically the same performance wise, other than a couple hundred mHz. At $115, that's not a great deal but if its all you can afford then it would be a decent upgrade

46 minutes ago, JordRidesBikes said:

It would be an upgrade, but not a brilliant one. The whole 8320/8350/8370 are all basically the same performance wise, other than a couple hundred mHz. At $115, that's not a great deal but if its all you can afford then it would be a decent upgrade

I don't know how reputable systemrequirementslab.com is but here's what it says

Can I run it.JPG

4 minutes ago, green4101 said:

I don't know how reputable systemrequirementslab.com is but here's what it says

Can I run it.JPG

I've never seen that site before, so I don't really know what to say about that. If you sold the cpu and motherboard, you could possibly afford to get an i5 3570k and a z77 motherboard. This would be a massive upgrade over FX at not much expense, as you could probably get that combo for around $170, and the gaming performance would be a lot better. Or an i7 3770 (non-K) with a cheaper motherboard would set you back around the same. If not, the 8350 will be a good upgrade but $115 is a little bit steep for what it is

10 hours ago, green4101 said:

Upgrading in a DEAD platform isnt really worth it, Id say Jump over to Ryzen too. FX series was a disaster

Ryzen 5 1600, Gigabyte AB350N Gaming-WiFi, 16GB GeiL @ 2133Mhz,GTX 980 Founders Edition, NZXT Manta White,SuperFlower 500W GOLD, 120+1TB

HELPFUL LINKS; PSU Tier List by @STRMfrmXMN GPU OC'ing Database by @Cobalt  Water Cooling 101 by @Gmac TEAM AMD & ATi & Nvidia