3570k Overvlock

I got my new pc last week, a z77 mpower board, 3570k and h100i cooling it with noctua nf-f12's.

The fans are fixed to ~900RPM

I've overclocked to 4.4GHz, with a voltage of 1.35, stable.

Under prime 95 load, the hottest core reaches 90 degrees c.

I'm just wondering:

A) Is this temperature safe (not going to damage my CPU long term)?

B) Should I be expecting lower temperatures with this OC?

and C) Should I expect to be able to push the chip further?

Thanks in advance!

That is a acceptable temperature. Tell me' date=' when are your cores ever going to be on 100% load? Probably never unless your doing serious video editing etc.... So yeah, basically your temperatures will never go that high, and probably get to 50 degrees Celsius at most. Of course overclocking will reduce the lifespan of CPU, but CPUs tend to last a very long time anyway. And to overclock the CPU more, it wouldn't give you a noticable difference. Hope this answered all your questions[/quote']

It isn't an acceptable temperature.. You can get better temps whith your cooler. Plug in your fans in the fan header of your corsair link thing and install the corsair link program. Now you can control the fan speed put on it on a mode that you find makes a acceptable noise and run prime again.

That is a acceptable temperature. Tell me' date=' when are your cores ever going to be on 100% load? Probably never unless your doing serious video editing etc.... So yeah, basically your temperatures will never go that high, and probably get to 50 degrees Celsius at most. Of course overclocking will reduce the lifespan of CPU, but CPUs tend to last a very long time anyway. And to overclock the CPU more, it wouldn't give you a noticable difference. Hope this answered all your questions[/quote']

It isn't an acceptable temperature.. You can get better temps whith your cooler. Plug in your fans in the fan header of your corsair link thing and install the corsair link program. Now you can control the fan speed put on it on a mode that you find makes a acceptable noise and run prime again.

Yes, I've done this. Corsair link custom curves don't work on my system for some reason, the fans randomly ramp up every few seconds when they are supposed to be at a low RPM. I set them to spin faster when the CPU temperature increases, which they do, but like I said, when the CPU is cool, the fans decide to ramp up to 1000rpm+ every few seconds for no reason. Because of this, I have just set the fans to spin at a fixed RPM (900) where I am happy with the noise levels. Still not understanding why my temps are so high though- Noctua fans on a h100i and only 1.35v on the cpu. Any idea what else it could be?

1.35v is too high. Ivy bridge CPU's are VERY sensible to voltage increases, even small, so you really have to work a lot on your OC and get the lowest possible Vcore to get decent temperatures.

For example my 3570k is set to 1.24V @4.3Ghz stable, and it's not the best chip. It doesn't reach 70° after a 10hrs run on Prime95, with a Cooler Master Hyper412s cooler (air cooler).

No this is not an acceptable temperature. Try lowering your voltage so you can get better temps. I would go to 4.5ghz and experiment with the voltage to get the lowest possible voltage without any bsod happening when using P95 in order to make sure that your system is stable on that clock.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

No this is not an acceptable temperature. Try lowering your voltage so you can get better temps. I would go to 4.5ghz and experiment with the voltage to get the lowest possible voltage without any bsod happening when using P95 in order to make sure that your system is stable on that clock.
bsod or error in p95
Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Try putting the fans that came whit your h100i back they are prety good. That should fix the problem.

Okay, I'm going to say this seeing as no one else has; Make sure you've secured the block for the H100i correctly, if you have not, you''ll see temperatures and voltages like you've been experiencing. The block has to be fairly tight on the mounting screws so don't be afraid to give it a little torque.

I experienced the same scenario when I RMA'd my H100 and received an H100i instead.

Try putting the fans that came whit your h100i back they are prety good. That should fix the problem.
Bad idea. The Noctuas are awesome, he just needs to turn their speed up to get more pressure. They are not even loud on full speed, so I don't see a point in running them at 900rpm.

Intel Core i7 3770K delidded @ 4,5Ghz | Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12s | EVGA Geforce GTX 770 2GB @ 1,2Ghz | MSI Big Bang MPower Z77 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 | Windows 10 Professional 64 bit | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB Samsung | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | Asus Xonar Essence STX | Seasonic X Series 850WLogitech MX Master | Corsair MM400 | Corsair Vengeance K70 | beyerdynamic MMX 300 Manufaktur | Asus PB278Q 27" 1440p | Corsair Obsidian 550D

Every chip is different and they all have a different limit. My H80i is on RMA (scratched pumpblock) now and when it comes back I'll put some NF-F12s on it as well because they are great fans.

But just for an example: My own 3770K is stable @ 4.6Ghz with 1.248V running at 80°C with some peaks to 85°. Of course the H100i has more cooling potential, but you will need more pressure=more fanspeed than 900rpm for this because it has pretty dence fins. Anyways even with an H100i 1,3V should be your max voltage. 1,35V is way too much (crazy with those low fanspeeds). Only with a great custom loop one should try to push it so far. Don't handle it like Sandybridge, thats a different story. Times of 1,5Vcore and 5Ghz chips are over (at least for this generation...).

I've read a lot of overclocking guides and CPU reviews about ivy and 80-85°C should be your max temp. Thats why I chose it for myself and maybe I'll go back to 4,5Ghz to keep temps under 80° - not sure yet.

Intel Core i7 3770K delidded @ 4,5Ghz | Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12s | EVGA Geforce GTX 770 2GB @ 1,2Ghz | MSI Big Bang MPower Z77 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 | Windows 10 Professional 64 bit | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB Samsung | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | Asus Xonar Essence STX | Seasonic X Series 850WLogitech MX Master | Corsair MM400 | Corsair Vengeance K70 | beyerdynamic MMX 300 Manufaktur | Asus PB278Q 27" 1440p | Corsair Obsidian 550D

May I ask how you got to 1.35 V? If that is really the minimum for you chip 1. Your CPU sucks 2. You need to turn back the overclock. If not turn back the voltage some and keep the multiplier. Try setting the fan curve to 900 RPM until about 65 degrees, then have it ramp up to 100% at 75-80 degrees. You could push 85 but I would not.

Athlon X4 760K | MSI A88X-G43 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz | MSI R7 260X 2GB | Corsair 300R | Corsair CX430 | 640GB HDD | Windows 7 64-bit

HP W2071d 20" 900p TN | Stock Dell K/B | Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 + SteelSeries Qck Portal 2 Ed. | Grado SR80i + cheap 2.0 speakers

Thats the problem he can't control the speed... It should work with the stock fans so its a good idea :)

Ok, so I dropped the vcore down to 1.3v and it took 4 attempts to boot without BSoD.

When it did eventually boot, as soon as I put a load on the CPU, I get BSoD.

Even tried dropping to just 1.34v and still BSoD

I also tried keeping the voltage high and increasing the OC to 4.5GHz, BSoD.

What do I doooooooooooo? :-(

p.s. I checked the cooler is screwed on tight and with the fans at 100% instead of 900RPM, temps still reach 85 degrees

maybe take it back to stock clocks and try going up to an acceptable level in small increments?

Ok, so I dropped the vcore down to 1.3v and it took 4 attempts to boot without BSoD.

When it did eventually boot, as soon as I put a load on the CPU, I get BSoD.

Even tried dropping to just 1.34v and still BSoD

I also tried keeping the voltage high and increasing the OC to 4.5GHz, BSoD.

What do I doooooooooooo? :-(

p.s. I checked the cooler is screwed on tight and with the fans at 100% instead of 900RPM, temps still reach 85 degrees

Try putting the fans that came with your h100i back an look of you can control the fans if that doensn't work you have a probblem.

I bet you haven't looked at your CPU-Z Vcore.

Use LLC to cut back on the Vdroop. Then you should be able to set the Vcore in the Bios much lower.

Try lowering your pll voltage to something like 1.6v which should make the temp drop a bit

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

I bet you haven't looked at your CPU-Z Vcore. Use LLC to cut back on the Vdroop. Then you should be able to set the Vcore in the Bios much lower.

This won't be of any use to the temperature though because the voltage will practically still stay the same during load if he raises llc and lowers voltage...

Also: don't go back to the stock fans like someone suggested. You will not be able to speed control these either. It's a known problem for the h100i to have faulty fan speed control. Send it back and they will replace it.

Look guys it has nothing to do with voltages and stuff his fans are just running to slow...

CPU-Z screenies + Bios screenies needed.

Don't skimp out! Embed the images too.