Any word on Gaming Laptops with Intel 8th gen?

Bruak

Hi all,

Any idea on when we might start seeing gaming laptops with 8th gen intel processors?

I'm about to change my laptop and was wondering if it's worth to just wait for new releases with 8th gen processors instead of picking an 7th gen right now.

BTW, I'm open for suggestions on models. I have a 1400$ budget in the US. Looking for something to run CSGO at 144+ fps and high settings, the thinner and lighter the better. I actually ended up buying an Asus GL503VM, but will return it - the noise, poor battery life and the fact it caps fps at 60 while on battery (on top of some bugs here and there on the Asus UI) just pushed me over the edge to return it and get a Dell 7577 instead (unless I can hear something about the 8th gen).

cheers!

It's likely the OEMs are waiting on Intel to release Coffee Lake for laptops rather than this Kaby Lake+ thing Intel is calling "8th gen".

Also regarding the capping FPS on battery, all laptops do that. Laptop batteries cannot safely provide enough juice to fully power the hardware.

3 minutes ago, Bruak said:

Hi all,

Any idea on when we might start seeing gaming laptops with 8th gen intel processors?

I'm about to change my laptop and was wondering if it's worth to just wait for new releases with 8th gen processors instead of picking an 7th gen right now.

BTW, I'm open for suggestions on models. I have a 1400$ budget in the US. Looking for something to run CSGO at 144+ fps and high settings, the thinner and lighter the better. I actually ended up buying an Asus GL503VM, but will return it - the noise, poor battery life and the fact it caps fps at 60 while on battery (on top of some bugs here and there on the Asus UI) just pushed me over the edge to return it and get a Dell 7577 instead (unless I can hear something about the 8th gen).

cheers!

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/intel-core-i7-8750h-i7-8850h-i9-8950h-coffee-lake.810891/

Spoiler

Are you outputting the display to an external display? Most of the laptops coming out at that price point will maybe have a 120Hz display. 

We don't even have proper midrange motherboards and low end 8th gen chips for desktops so it will either take a while more or they'll just skip it in favour of the next architecture.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Also regarding the capping FPS on battery, all laptops do that. Laptop batteries cannot safely provide enough juice to fully power the hardware.

yeah, and I only learned that after buying it. At least for me it doesn't make sense then to have a 120Hz panel on the notebook - if I'm playing while charging, I'll do it on my office desk ad connect to an external monitor, so I'm getting 0 benefit from the higher refresh rate monitor that comes at a premium.

@Dissitesuxba11s yeap, I am. Because of that I'll probably just get the cheaper Dell 7577 which has the same specs expect the monitor and save some money.

2 hours ago, Bruak said:

@Dissitesuxba11s yeap, I am. Because of that I'll probably just get the cheaper Dell 7577 which has the same specs expect the monitor and save some money.

I forgot exactly which Dell Gaming model I have but it’s the 7700HQ and 1050ti model and I’m very very happy with it. Amazing speakers with decent screen for movies and games. The hardware stays very cool (60C on CPU and GPU in high ambient temps) and it’s still decently portable with an actual real world 8 hour battery life. I would still recommend an undervolt on CPU and GPU just so the fans are quieter though. 

Seeing as it’s still hard to get Coffee Lake desktop I think it’ll be a while until mobile, and it’s not like a 7700HQ is going to be obsolete anytime soon. 

That's an F in the profile pic

7 hours ago, Bruak said:

You mean 6 core HQ CPUs? February according to @sicily428

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

i think this new MSI laptop will roll out with 8th gen since it hasn't been released yet, but like the thumbnail he gets censored likely to not tell people about the 8th gen HQ cpus just yet

I wonder why they don't release 8th gen HQ chips now instead of keeping the secret

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

27 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

I wonder why they don't release 8th gen HQ chips now instead of keeping the secret

No supply

That's an F in the profile pic