New M.2 SSD installed now Hard drives not showing

Motherboard: Asus PRIME B350-PLUS

Just installed new Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 NVME SSD.

First i don't even know if the ssd is running in sata or pcie mode and can't find anywhere in my bios to change it.

Second only 1 of my 2 sata hard drives are showing. For example lets call hard drive 1 2TB Drive and the other one 3TB Drive the one that is showing up contains a boot of windows 10(2TB DRIVE) while the other drive is just a storage drive for files and that is the one that is not showing up(3TB DRIVE). When a ssd is installed on my motherboard both sata 5 and 6 is not able to be used but in this case my two hard drives are plugged into sata 1(2TB) and 2(3TB) respectively. When these cables for each hard drive are swapped round still nothing shows up for the 3TB Drive.

20 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

Motherboard: Asus PRIME B350-PLUS

Just installed new Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 NVME SSD.

First i don't even know if the ssd is running in sata or pcie mode and can't find anywhere in my bios to change it.

Second only 1 of my 2 sata hard drives are showing. For example lets call hard drive 1 2TB Drive and the other one 3TB Drive the one that is showing up contains a boot of windows 10(2TB DRIVE) while the other drive is just a storage drive for files and that is the one that is not showing up(3TB DRIVE). When a ssd is installed on my motherboard both sata 5 and 6 is not able to be used but in this case my two hard drives are plugged into sata 1(2TB) and 2(3TB) respectively. When these cables for each hard drive are swapped round still nothing shows up for the 3TB Drive.

Make sure that your SATA drives are not plugged into SATA 5 or 6. Try just using 3 or 4 to make sure you aren't following the SATA layout backward.

The following can be found in your motherboard's manual. SATA vs PCIe functionality is hardware specific to your motherboard.

The M.2 Socket shares bandwith with the SATA_5/6 ports, and therefore the SATA_5/6 ports cannot be used when a SATA mode M.2 device is installed.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

As @Homeless Pineapple mentioned, when you install an m.2 SSD it disables some of the SATA ports. Make sure you don't have the drives plugged into one of those ports.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

13 minutes ago, Homeless Pineapple said:

Make sure that your SATA drives are not plugged into SATA 5 or 6. Try just using 3 or 4 to make sure you aren't following the SATA layout backward.

The following can be found in your motherboard's manual. SATA vs PCIe functionality is hardware specific to your M.2 SSD.

10 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

As @Homeless Pineapple mentioned, when you install an m.2 SSD it disables some of the SATA ports. Make sure you don't have the drives plugged into one of those ports.

Haha I feel like such an idiot super rookie mistake, laziness to be honest. Basically the drive that was showing was hooked up correctly while the drive that wasn't showing was still plugged into slot 5 which is hidden behind my GPU and I couldn't really see if anything was plugged into it so assumed it was empty. Turned out the cable I had plugged in slot 2 was actually a 3rd cable connected to nothing hence why it didn't work ? sorry for wasting your time.

1 minute ago, lukesterboy said:

Haha I feel like such an idiot super rookie mistake, laziness to be honest. Basically the drive that was showing was hooked up correctly while the drive that wasn't showing was still plugged into slot 5 which is hidden behind my GPU and I couldn't really see if anything was plugged into it so assumed it was empty. Turned out the cable I had plugged in slot 2 was actually a 3rd cable connected to nothing hence why it didn't work ? sorry for wasting your time.

I'm never getting that time back!

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

1 minute ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

I'm never getting that time back!

? Sorry. But your help is well appreciated on this community ;)

• 1 year later...
On 1/17/2018 at 3:37 AM, Homeless Pineapple said:

The following can be found in your motherboard's manual. SATA vs PCIe functionality is hardware specific to your motherboard.

If u can respond, can u plz tell me if u achieved full 3.5gb/s nvme speed with that board? Much appreciated plz

1 hour ago, Masrooryousuf said:

If u can respond, can u plz tell me if u achieved full 3.5gb/s nvme speed with that board? Much appreciated plz

Always start your own thread - The board in question - ASUS B350 Prime Plus - supports SATA M.2 not NVMe as far as I am aware, for transfer speeds.  So no you cannot achieve NVMe speeds, but you can achieve SATA speeds available to you depending on the output/throughput of the drive you select.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

10 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Always start your own thread - The board in question - ASUS B350 Prime Plus - supports SATA M.2 not NVMe as far as I am aware, for transfer speeds.  So no you cannot achieve NVMe speeds, but you can achieve SATA speeds available to you depending on the output/throughput of the drive you select.

Sorry about that, this is the first time I'm digging about tech problems on the internet ,next time will make my own thread. but I guess you are wrong because my Mobo specifications say supports both nvme and sata m.2 PCIe x4 upto 32gbps and the reason I'm skeptical is I stumbled up on a vid on internet that says this Mobo is only giving 1700/900mbs write read whereas the m.2 supports full x4 3.5/2.1 gbps. So I just wanna know from someone who happened to use m.2 on this mobo because I ordered one. Thank you

4 hours ago, Masrooryousuf said:

Sorry about that, this is the first time I'm digging about tech problems on the internet ,next time will make my own thread. but I guess you are wrong because my Mobo specifications say supports both nvme and sata m.2 PCIe x4 upto 32gbps and the reason I'm skeptical is I stumbled up on a vid on internet that says this Mobo is only giving 1700/900mbs write read whereas the m.2 supports full x4 3.5/2.1 gbps. So I just wanna know from someone who happened to use m.2 on this mobo because I ordered one. Thank you

Edit - I just researched further, ASUS B350 Prime is NVMe and SATA supported M.2 slot.  So the answer is yes

storage.PNG

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

• 6 months later...

I have a aorus elite b450 with a new m2 128gb, 1 hdd in wbich my current OS is and need to get in and setup my new ssd. 

Tried every SATA port on the mobo, no luck. 

I get reboot and select proper boot device, it shows on BIOS I make the change to boot from hdd and no luck. 

Now The hdd that holds the OS won't even boot when connected alone, everything is now messed up. 

Any ideas? 

• 2 months later...

Awesome. Port 5 and 6. Just moved it to 7 and 8 and started up no problem. Now both old sad and new m.2 show up at same time. Thank you soooo much for your help guys

On 1/16/2018 at 10:22 PM, lukesterboy said:

Not a rookie mistake... as a seasoned system builder of 20yrs... I never new this was even a thing on some boards until I ran into the exact same issue a year ago... It's conveniently left out of all the marketing info and you really have to dig into the manual to find this very important piece of information.

I can honestly say that if I had been given this info... it WOULD have affected my purchasing choice entirely.

To me it's deliberately misleading and nothing more than a pathetic bait and switch... advertise a board with 6 sata ports and 2 M.2... but utterly fail to inform the buyer that you can't use them all together. That kind of deliberate and misleading advertising should be made criminal.

As a result... I'll never be buying a gigabyte board ever again... and now I also know to beware of asus... I shall be doing my research more thoroughly and contacting manufacturers directly to ask questions like this before I ever buy anything again... It's unacceptable and deceptive behaviour.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

• 3 years later...
On 2/19/2020 at 1:02 AM, Anomnomnomaly said:

Not a rookie mistake... as a seasoned system builder of 20yrs... I never new this was even a thing on some boards until I ran into the exact same issue a year ago... It's conveniently left out of all the marketing info and you really have to dig into the manual to find this very important piece of information.

I can honestly say that if I had been given this info... it WOULD have affected my purchasing choice entirely.

To me it's deliberately misleading and nothing more than a pathetic bait and switch... advertise a board with 6 sata ports and 2 M.2... but utterly fail to inform the buyer that you can't use them all together. That kind of deliberate and misleading advertising should be made criminal.

As a result... I'll never be buying a gigabyte board ever again... and now I also know to beware of asus... I shall be doing my research more thoroughly and contacting manufacturers directly to ask questions like this before I ever buy anything again... It's unacceptable and deceptive behaviour.

3 years later....

MSI does this too on (at least) the Mag Z790 Tomahawk.  I installed a 3rd M.2 drive and my SATA drive stopped working.  I had two M.2 drives installed and working already, so I didn't have high hopes for changing the SATA port, but I checked the manual and at the bottom of page 37 it says "SATA_1 will be unavailable when installing M.2 SATA SSD in the m2_3 slot"  Why?

Your post is still solving problems.  I'm back up and running.